Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Model X Q2 Production 1,000 per week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of people spread negativity about Tesla. Tesla works in unknown waters of which people do not have knowledge. No one has made EV's like these before. So what do people trust? It's better to give them rough estimates rather than let them be misguided by misguided people. So, in my opinion it's important to speak even when things are away. It also generates people interest and make Tesla less susceptible to failures as there is always something to look forward too. (my humble opinion)

He does what he says, he just does it late. And no one can predict the unforeseen problems that one may face in an endeavor. He is an important person for whole of humanity who inspires people all over the world whenever he speaks. He is not only breaking new ground but simultaneously transferring his knowledge and vision to the next generation. We don't want again a period where humanity stops progressing and falls to its violent ways. Ideas are what guides us away from our basic nature. He gives us things that make us hopeful whenever he speaks. He stretches himself thin most of the time while giving estimates, but people want to hear estimates. They want to know when we will go to Mars, when Model 3 will be available to buy, when hyperloop will be ready. He is working at his limit and the least we can do is be patient when he misses his deadlines. He always achieves what he says, just maybe not in the required time frame.

Now, see, you have it figured out. All of us who have been here more than a year have gotten to know Tesla, and Elon. There isn't a person in the world whom you can trust implicitly. There's always a caveat. There's always a hidden meaning, or a time frame that's different. And I think Elon really tries to give what he feels is right.

Some people seem to think that any company or CEO must say things exactly, or not say anything. Have you ever noticed how advertising of just about every product on the market is based on innuendo and obfuscation? I laugh out loud watching car company ads, but they are all the same: Lies, silly comparisons, shading of words. But "we" expect Elon to give us accurate information so we can do some insider trading on our TSLA stock, right?

Come on, you complainers. Get over it. If Tesla says they will make a Model X with falcon wing doors, you think they will? Or must it be perfection NOW? My whole life I have been told to never buy ANY make of car that was built on Monday or Friday, and never buy a new model until after a few thousand have been sold. Has that changed?

Or do you think you're seeing something new and different? (and I don't mean YOU, ankitmishra)

supply chain problems are not unknown problems
changing engineering vendors in the later half of a product design phase is not unknown waters
having seat supplier problems that were documented in Feb. of 2015 is not unknown waters

and yet these are just some examples of where Elon continued to spout crap about schedule and deliveries when it was well known and completely foreseeable that they could not meet their public commitments

an not it's not necessary to pre-announce things with a schedule to generate interest - it in fact makes Tesla more susceptible to failure because it allows competitors and others to call Tesla out on their failures.

Pre-Announcing a schedule you can not meet in no way helps any company - and in fact has a long history of leading those companies to go out of business.

Keep your mouth shut until you can deliver, deliver and smoke your competition.

Responses in red again.

8. I believe the existing threads on lack of folding 2nd row seat shows that people consider the current Model X to be "less" than the concept car. That's likely a small minority. Not everyone is obsessed with folding seats.

9. Material change on a publicly traded company - original number included Model X deliveries which to insiders should've been obvious they couldn't meet - especially when they knowingly were changing design of falcon wing doors in May of 2015 by having to go with another vendor Not necessarily obvious, they may have thought they could still do it.

10. Tesla Wont Properly Unveil The Model 3 Next Month | Ubergizmo - yes that was what was said - it will not be unveiled in March - and it won't ship in 2017 - but we'll see No, that is not what was said. The article you linked is in error. Someone asked Elon "When will we see the first pictures of the Model E" and Elon said in March. If they had asked "When will we see the wheels for the Model 3" and Elon said in March do you think that means only 4 wheels would be on stage? The first pictures will come when the car is revealed, in March.

11. employment will be lower So? Maybe that means the factory will be more efficient.

13. Two-Thirds of Earliest Tesla Drivetrains To Need Replacement In 60,000 Miles, Owner Data Suggests
"Earliest Drivetrains" and "Data Suggests" is quite a bit different than your previous claim that two-thirds are being replaced. In fact complaints about drivetrain issues seems to have all but stopped.

14. The knew the seats were a problem - they didn't have to announce - if you don't have your supply chain lined up you don't announce products. Please tell us when they knew, and your proof.

15. Foreseeable outcome given long standing real world experience with building permits and problems with construction and weather - again no one forced him to declare a schedule. The schedule wasn't written in stone either. Construction of any kind rarely stays on schedule.

19. Elon has announced they will not be pursuing any further battery swap stations - tesla battery swap stations - Tesla's battery swap program is pretty much dead - Fortune Since the test station is not being heavily utilized why would they expand the program? I'm sure if they did people such as yourself would complain that it's a waste of money.

supply chain problems are not unknown problems
changing engineering vendors in the later half of a product design phase is not unknown waters
having seat supplier problems that were documented in Feb. of 2015 is not unknown waters

and yet these are just some examples of where Elon continued to spout crap about schedule and deliveries when it was well known and completely foreseeable that they could not meet their public commitments

an not it's not necessary to pre-announce things with a schedule to generate interest - it in fact makes Tesla more susceptible to failure because it allows competitors and others to call Tesla out on their failures.

Pre-Announcing a schedule you can not meet in no way helps any company - and in fact has a long history of leading those companies to go out of business.

Keep your mouth shut until you can deliver, deliver and smoke your competition.

If I felt like you, I would not buy a Tesla. But I did. Best. Car. Ever.

There is no competition.

I have owned a P85 and now own a P85D - I agree they are good cars, but they are not the best car ever simply based on defect rate - most defective new car I've ever owned (two times in a row) but I still love it.

However these cars will be a huge liability if Tesla goes out of business because Elon can't keep his mouth shut and keep misrepresenting the companies abilities and progress.

I live in fear of the cost/depreciation of a Model S with no Tesla company to support it or keep it current.

Think about how good your car would be with out Tesla's data services, service centers, parts.

I want Tesla to succeed, I need Tesla to succeed - we will all lose a lot of money if Tesla fails - and Elon's mouth writing check's his butt can't cash does not help Tesla the company, it's investors, or it's customers…

Think about the disposal cost of a Tesla Model S with out Tesla to support it - it will be a huge liability and the car's repairs will be nearly impossible (ever try and get a Deloran fixed or how about a Tucker).

I love the product, I love the vision, I love the company but Elon has got to shut the f**k up and simply start delivering rather than tell us he's going to deliver.

I'm actually Tesla's biggest fan - but I'm not going to let them off the hook by following a playbook that has known and damaging outcomes, and so far provably hasn't helped.

Picture what the outcome would be if Elon hadn't announced the Model X 3 years too early - and simply said we're working on our next product and currently selling all the Model's S's we can make - then announced the Model X founder's edition in Sept. 2015 (like they did) and then stated they would be ramping production in 2016 and start taking deposits in late 2015 and early 2016...I believe it would be a totally different outcome - and wouldn't have required Elon to make crap up and he still could've done what he set out to do.

Disclosure is _NOT_ required to succeed, in fact it often hinders success and sets up unrealistic expectations.

I'm not asking Elon to stop what he's doing - just stop telling anyone about it until he can deliver it.

So out of 18 lies - only 7 of which are subject to interpretation - the other 11 (+2 more I forgot about 85 kph and 681 hp) lies/factual incorrect statements are perfectly fine for a CEO to make about a publicly traded company.

no wonder so many people vote for the politicians they vote for - apparently there is no accountability regarding actually accomplishing what you say - it's just what you say with no actual follow through.

Elon's shouldn't state they are going to produce 1000 model X's per week - he should report they did product 1,200 a week in Q2 and that they continue to see strong demand. Will have a radically different outcome for company, investors, and customers.

Now all he's done is setup for disappointment and made potentially materially incorrect statements on something he can't control because according to JPR3 "stuff happens"

there was no need to disclose 1000 per-week - and it's likely to be incorrect. And if it can be proven Elon knew different when he said it it's a criminal offense.

- - - Updated - - -

eye.surgeon - no need to cancel my Model X order - I self canceled - I forsee too many issues and determined the Model X was not for me (after waiting in line for nearly 3 years). So Elon doesn't have to cancel it.

But I appreciate you mature response to some thought observations and it speaks well to the Tesla's communities grounding in reality, I'm sure Elon's continued public fantasies about Tesla's production and financial perform will only lead to rising stock prices and unlimited production capabilities. Elon will be allowed to continue to say what ever he wants and there will be no risk to the company we all rely on for our cars to function on a daily basis and it will all come up really really rosy.

Elon has nothing to be blamed for. He needed to generate interest in the company otherwise lack of momentum would have sinked it long time ago. It was only through constant promises of future features and products has he managed to generate so much interest and growing sales in the company. People aren't going to skip well proven ICE technology unless they are motivated enough.
Don't worry. Tesla sales are increasing year by year. Stocks go up and down all the time. It was at 280 some time ago, it can't go on increasing. It will bounce back again.

Respectfully, I believe people are trying too hard to be upset over little things.

While I understand it can be disappointing that you may not have your MX yet, or it sucks that it's not perfect when it arrives, or that a first generation vehicle from the only new american car company in the last 50 years does not come with a flux capacitor and allow time travel.

I think we are forgetting that for a new company they are hitting it out of the park. Serious Babe Ruth numbers without steroids. I mean the guy is a billionaire spaceship and car builder, and solar panel whatever that other company does manufacturer. I think he even works as a cop in Brazil part time.

Tesla is a pure american underdog story and they are killing it. Will they make 1000 a week? That would be pretty cool. Do I care? Not really, because at the rate the are going they will get there.

The company seems to be very conscientious about production and standards. All the haters will hate and the fanboys will fawn but somewhere in the middle is the truth and just like none of us are perfect and still continue to evolve I think Tesla will continue to hit it's marks. The end result will be pretty good because they are plodding along and creating a very good product and their plan is simple and makes sense.

And for what it's worth I do not think any of the other auto manufacturers will ever sacrifice short term profits to build EV's as their bread and butter lines so Tesla will have this space to itself for a long time to come. Sure they will make a few cars here and there but they are very entrenched in what they are currently doing, they can't really change too much too quickly.

So out of 18 lies - only 7 of which are subject to interpretation - the other 11 (+2 more I forgot about 85 kph and 681 hp) lies/factual incorrect statements are perfectly fine for a CEO to make about a publicly traded company.

no wonder so many people vote for the politicians they vote for - apparently there is no accountability regarding actually accomplishing what you say - it's just what you say with no actual follow through.

Elon's shouldn't state they are going to produce 1000 model X's per week - he should report they did product 1,200 a week in Q2 and that they continue to see strong demand. Will have a radically different outcome for company, investors, and customers.

Now all he's done is setup for disappointment and made potentially materially incorrect statements on something he can't control because according to JPR3 "stuff happens"

there was no need to disclose 1000 per-week - and it's likely to be incorrect. And if it can be proven Elon knew different when he said it it's a criminal offense.

- - - Updated - - -

eye.surgeon - no need to cancel my Model X order - I self canceled - I forsee too many issues and determined the Model X was not for me (after waiting in line for nearly 3 years). So Elon doesn't have to cancel it.

But I appreciate you mature response to some thought observations and it speaks well to the Tesla's communities grounding in reality, I'm sure Elon's continued public fantasies about Tesla's production and financial perform will only lead to rising stock prices and unlimited production capabilities. Elon will be allowed to continue to say what ever he wants and there will be no risk to the company we all rely on for our cars to function on a daily basis and it will all come up really really rosy.

Dude you really have got to simmer down. Invested too much in TSLA on margin or something? Look, Elon's statements are super optimistic and almost assumes that everyone around him can work 80 hour weeks like he does. It's almost like he sees this inevitability to things so clearly that he doesn't take into account human errors and other suppliers screwing things up. What he really needs is a "Tim Cook" to his "Steve Jobs". Someone who is a master of day to day operations and supply chain management. That way he can concentrate on the vision and probably get better accuracy with timeline predictions.

This being said, you cannot say that being overly optimistic is a criminal offense. To his credit, he's getting more tentative about estimates lately because he is starting to realize the above. Everything he has said would happen, did happen eventually. Who's the criminal... the optimistic CEO or the slow pace of the industry and the hidden people working against Tesla's success? What about former GM bigwig Bob Lutz going on a financial network (CNBC) and giving stock advice to sell all your Tesla stocks before the company goes upside down? He also takes every chance he gets to rip Tesla and spread false information based on hearsay.

In the end it's all a game. The market makers and shorts probably work together and know what's coming. Three analysts report a week before earnings to tear down the stock just days after short-interest piles on even more. Shorts make money. Innocuous article about Elon cancelling a douchey buyer's order... shorts make money. Then more fear articles published and then finally Lutz tells people before market open one day to dump all Tesla stocks. TSLA hits new low and shorts start covering their bets. Why was he given this pedestal by CNBC suddenly? Don't get caught up in all of this and start hating the CEO of Tesla. For once, Elon is staying quiet as you've asked despite all this misinformation and chatter. Let's see what earnings brings and what the macro looks like next week. The stock could half or leap forward suddenly. But definitely not all "Elon's fault"

I think it is an interesting discussion to be had why they set themselves up for hard numbers and a deadline, for example $35k after incentives and reveal in March for Model 3.
Why not just say it would be much cheaper than Model S and Model X and roughly priced as a 3 series or something and be revealed first half of 2016.
If they can only make them for $40k and/or reveal in June with this promise they have to raise the sales price and take a big hit in reputation, sales and the share price. I don't doubt there is a reason they operate this way but I don't know for sure why.

I think it strengthen the brand and coolness of Tesla and more people are willing to wait for Model 3 instead of buying something else the more they promise. I also think it makes everyone work really hard at the company. So I guess those are the main reasons for it. The hype has also elevated the share price which matters for employee options and less dilution.

own no stock - no Model X order- own a P85D - sold Tesla stock @ 225 shortly after Model X "reveal" - will consider buying again once it bottoms out.

still confused as to how so many people are fine with Elon making crap up.

And it is a criminal offense to make material statements (dates & quantities are material information) about a publicly traded company if you have knowledge they are false. The question is (which is hard/impossible to prove) does Elon know they are false. People will differ on that analysis.

Last edited:
own no stock - no Model X order- own a P85D - sold Tesla stock @ 225 shortly after Model X "reveal" - will consider buying again once it bottoms out.

still confused as to how so many people are find with Elon making crap up.

And it is a criminal offense to make material statements (dates & quantities are material information) about a publicly traded company if you have knowledge they are false. The question is (which is hard/impossible to prove) does Elon know they are false. People will differ on that analysis.

And that's where things get fuzzy. His statements are estimates, and he always says "we should be..." or "I believe it will be...". Hard to prove criminality in these cases, as you can't say he knew it was definitely not going to happen.

from the video - here is what was said:

Musk: "

@4:10 mark

"So we got the Model S in production at about a thousand units a week - and we're trying to ramp up the Model X to roughly a comparable number of a thousand units a week - and hopefully we should be at that, at that production level around - well close - ummmmmm - maybe sometime in Q2 of this year - so for those of you that have a Model X on order…"

body language is interesting during the statement about Q2 production - he's confident and looking straight ahead for the Model S number - and he's more tentative and ummmms/ahhs a lot while making up the Model X numbers (yes I know I said "making up" - LOL I still believe he doesn't honestly know and shouldn't have said anything)

Q2 results phone call will be when we find out the truth.

My statement would've been as follows:

"So we got the Model S in production at about a thousand units a week - and we're working hard to ramp up the Model X - Q2 is going to be a big quarter for us - so for those of you that have a Model X on order stay tuned we'll be working hard to deliver your vehicles."

there now he doesn't have to lie about the numbers and still provided direction about how hard they are working to make Model X's.

I believe the information and timeline Elon provides is based on what he knows to be true at the time he makes the statements I also do not feel he is purposely misleading anyone. The problem is this leading edge or bleeding edge technology and therefore it is hard to come up with accurate timelines. Your are definitely not an attorney and unless you have concrete proof that he had lied then you should keep your opinion and inflammatory statements to yourself. As for being fired get real, at last count Elon owns over $800 million in stock. As for the Tesla stock tanking are you aware the whole market has tanked. This has very little to do with TSLA but more to do with the price of oil, world markets (especially China) and employment figures.

No one is compelling you to buy a Tesla or buy Tesla stock. Do you have skin in the game, I.e. Are you a Tesla owner? Do you own Tesla stock? I didn't like to wait this long for my Tesla Model X but I didn't whine like you. I will be a Tesla owner as of next week and I own Tesla stock. Matter of fact even with TSLA stock down I still have made enough to buy a couple of Model X's. As an investor in Tesla stock I have more problems with you than I have with Elon.

He already said that they will achieve few hundreds of X per week. And they did that by end of last quater. Now, they will achieve 1000 X per week. What's the problem here?
Cool. It's a nice hypothetical statement for your hypothetical company. Hope it does well in your imagination. I will take Elon's method cause its working damn fine.

still confused as to how so many people are fine with Elon making crap up.

I suggest Elon ban you from purchasing a Tesla like he has done to others who have made inflammatory and derogatory posts about him and Tesla.