Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk and his crash course of Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

What was once an inspiring moonshot that as late as 2017 Musk was touting would by now be commonplace has instead settled into a morass of regulatory scrutiny, scaled-back expectations, and finger-pointing over who is to blame for bringing an overhyped technology crashing back to earth. Increasingly, Tesla and its temperamental CEO are taking the heat.”

What was once an inspiring moonshot that as late as 2017 Musk was touting would by now be commonplace has instead settled into a morass of regulatory scrutiny, scaled-back expectations, and finger-pointing over who is to blame for bringing an overhyped technology crashing back to earth. Increasingly, Tesla and its temperamental CEO are taking the heat.”
...and yet the fundamentals of the company has never been stronger. It's long term success has never looked brighter.

Elon is not allowed an opinion? Elon is not allowed to pursue his goals and desires? Elon is not allowed to express his beliefs whether personal or political?

Sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

Dan

the fundamentals of the company has never been stronger

Totally disagree! The company is under threat from competition, offering major discounts just to make sales projections, is under investigation from the government on multiple fronts, class action lawsuits, unhappy owners, and an absentee leader who has demonstrated his incompetence at Twitter. I see future stock declines in Tesla’s future.

The company is under threat from competition,

Competition was inevitable. I think some enthusiasts were naïve to think Tesla would dominate the EV market forever and that other established automakers would just give up.

offering major discounts just to make sales

This aspect isn't really new as price reductions and discounts have been around for years. Tesla, for example, dropped the base price of the Model S from $79,990 at the beginning of 2020 to $69,420 by the fourth quarter of 2020. Prior to that, price reductions, discounts, year end incentives, etc. were fairly common.

I see future stock declines in Tesla’s future.

Perhaps but the stock has been volatile for years, and even Musk has said in the past that the stock was overvalued. On May 1, 2020, he stated that the Tesla stock price was "too high" and that was when it was around $47/share (split adjusted). It's now around $123/share.

I believe overzealous Tesla fanatics who believed and pushed that Tesla and/or Musk could do no wrong are as much or more to blame for the stock's volatility and unreasonably high (at least IMO) values than Musk.