Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk at Geneva Motor Show 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for sharing. Wish I could see an uncut version though. We are adults. We can handle that.

The only cut real cut we made besides cutting the blanks was to cut the NYT story discussion, not because we did not want it inside the video, but just because the person who was reacting and asking questions was doing so without any microphone, and it was more a waste of time than something else.

But thanks for your comment, Part II coming soon!

As I understand it, the superchargers are 120 kW, but only go to full power when sharing between two cars (two cars per charger). Maybe they've been able to push that so a single car can take the full 120 kW???

This is my total speculation, but I think the have been holding back on delivering 120kW to a single car right now (Elon said that the current Superchargers deliver 94kW to a car right now) to get data on how the battery packs actually react in real world conditions. I suspect they have found that Supercharging is not detrimental to the longevity of the battery packs at the 94kW level, so they are preparing to up that rate in the near future, with the ultimate goal to reach a full 120kW of power delivered to a single car. That will be great if they ramp up the charge rate to that level.

Also I think what happens when two cars share a single Supercharger station right now is that the power is split between the two cars so one get say 90kW and the other gets 30kW until the other car unplugs. Probably a limitation of the power circuits that are available at the Supercharger stations. I think Tesla is installing battery storage systems at the Supercharger locations to hold energy (both from the solar panel systems they will install) as well as act as additional delivery power if more than one car is plugged into a station, so both cars would be able to draw the full 120kW of power at the same time.

Last edited:
Elon said in a Q&A in Norway that they do plan to increase the Supercharger power delivered to cars to 120 kW.

As for power sharing, if two empty cars plug in, they'll both get half - 60 kW. But normally the cars wouldn't arrive at the same time or with the same level of charge. The charge rate is tapered off once the car is half full. So once one car starts ramping down, the Supercharger will reallocate that power to the other car, and it will start ramping up (until it needs to taper off too, of course).

Sounds like they have a very elegant architecture inside the Supercharger. The individual chargers inside the Supercharger stack obviously can be allocated to either car as needed.

Here's a tip for Supercharger users: if you arrive at a location with more than two slots, try to avoid parking beside another car! That way you won't end up sharing a Supercharger with it, and will probably get more power.

Interesting bit from the Q&A in Norway, although no surprise, is that Tesla (which ofcourse monitors superchargers use) will place extra stations at a location when they notice cars regularly have to wait. The biggest one in California now has 12 stations, according to Elon. Peak use is on Friday evening and Sunday evening (weekend trips).

Thanks for all the videos! And, congrats Europe... hang tight, July is fast-approaching for that Tesla-smile :biggrin:

part ll
The end with GB and Elon was priceless! Obviously Elon loves to make declarative announcements. And obviously it puts a lot of pressure on his people when he does that. We saw the an inner circle back and fotrh play out in front of camera.

part ll
The end with GB and Elon was priceless! Obviously Elon loves to make declarative announcements. And obviously it puts a lot of pressure on his people when he does that. We saw the an inner circle back and fotrh play out in front of camera.
Haha, I was just thinking the same. GB thinking: "Don't promise too much...please". I'm going: "C'mon say what you're thinking right now Elon".
Seems like GB is there to make sure no wild ideas/promises are spread out in front of camera.
Priceless! Gotta love Elon for that.
Hope the SC spread out pretty quick.