Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Becomes Richest Person in the World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk is now the richest person in the world.

With a net worth of more than $185 billion, Musk has bested Amazon founder Jeff Bezos who has a worth of about $184 billion. It’s been a brave journey for Musk, who was willing to wager his own $180 million proceeds from the sale of PayPal to found Tesla and SpaceX.

It’s been a tremendous year for Musk’s fortune with the incredible performance of Tesla’s stock. He started 2020 worth about $27 billion. Tesla’s stock had a 9x increase over the past year.

Musk recently pinned a 2018 tweet to his Twitter profile that outlines his plans to use his wealth.

“About half my money is intended to help problems on Earth and half to help establish a self-sustaining city on Mars to ensure continuation of life (of all species) in case Earth gets hit by a meteor like the dinosaurs or WW3 happens and we destroy ourselves,” Musk said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OrthoSurg
I would think it less expensive and much less risky to spend time and effort in building something that either deflects or destroys meteors, if that's the main reason for reaching out to Mars.

Why not make more of an effort to save what we've got here rather than try and terraform a planet that we have very little information about.

I would think it less expensive and much less risky to spend time and effort in building something that either deflects or destroys meteors, if that's the main reason for reaching out to Mars.

Why not make more of an effort to save what we've got here rather than try and terraform a planet that we have very little information about.
That assumes that the only threat to global extinction is a meteor.

I say congratulations to Elon!

He is living proof that we need an example to show the communists that capitalism still works.

There would be no Tesla without handouts from the government and Tesla would be losing money without the CO2 Cap and Trade credits. The government help doesn’t bother me because it’s a necessary investment but let’s be honest about it.

Elon Musk is also cash poor. All he has is Tesla stock options.