Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Confirms Made-In-Texas Model Y Will Be 4680-Powered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I think I hear a sucking sound from my driveway...oh, wait, that is the resale value of my MY going down the drain. Damn.

I expect that the 4860 cells will be similar to the single piece rear casting. The single piece casting simplified manufacturing, but had negligible customer-visible benefit beyond enabling a 7 seat option. People here wanted it, but almost no one else cared. There is no indication that it impacts resale value.

Thanks, I'm not familiar, so there are higher performing versions of the same motor i.e. 990/980? Have the differences been detailed (sorry if already covered)?
The P models come with a 980 rear motor(some early 2020 Ys had them due to lack of stock of 990 and can be hacked to get the same power as the P model). With that mindset i believe the 990 cant safely handle P level of power.

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and pkitch
Don't Elon announced that the 4680 will be expected in... 18 months?

He said full volume production in 12-18 months, that doesn't mean a few 4680 Y's won't start trickling off the assembly line beforehand.

Its actually mentioned in the article the OP linked if you want to take a look at it.

"Initially, the supply of the 4680 cells might be limited, as the volume production is up to 12-18 months away according to the previous update in late April."

I would expect cybertruck production coming out of Austin first?
4680 Model Y could be a long way out still.

This is a misconception, although the CT will (eventually) be built in Texas, the 4680 Y will come first. It's currently Tesla's cash cow.

Yup. M3 didn't get a rear casting in 2021 like the Y because they're in full production and can't afford to shut down the line.

Same thing with this new Y. It'll be full steam ahead so no chance for any significant redesign like swapping a 2170 to 4680 pack after they start the line.

Makes sense, it's easier to make the production line use new cells out of the gate, rather than try to change the production line mid-flow.

Makes sense. Fremont and China production has already maxed out the current 2170 supply. Why add incremental 2170 supply if you can add 4680 supply instead?

But these initial 4680s are probably not the advanced cells Elon was showing at battery day. The ones with the high nickel cathode and metallic silicon anode with elastic polymers, made with the dry electrode process. They are more likely going to be 4680 form factor with tabless connections, but otherwise conventional chemistry, initially, and then the more advanced chemistry will be rolled in over time.

Reactions: bacevedo
I suspect insurance cost will be outrageous due to cost of repair or should I say non repair due to car being totaled with single piece castings. May actually help resale value on cars produced prior.
You give insurance companies WAY too much credit. Insurance companies don't know jack about "castings" or whatnot. They set rates based on past repair costs for what they think are "similar" cars, with a surcharge because Tesla seems a little weird to them.

This is a misconception, although the CT will (eventually) be built in Texas, the 4680 Y will come first.
I had assumed the CT will have 4680 too, thats how they can achieve the ranges they have spec'd for such a large vehicle?

Since Fremont Model Y line is fully functional I figured they would concentrate on CT over Y out of Austin to get going especially with the crazy amount of pre-orders for CT.

But nobody knows, its all speculation at this point.

Not to mention the battery becoming an integral part of the chassis...

A structural battery module isn't an integral part of the chassis. It stiffens the chassis, just as a bonded windshield does.

The 4680 cells should fit into a module that is the same form factor as the 2170 cells. Presumably changing modules will require no changes to production.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Makes me want to delay my order especially if they offer the Performance or higher variant with the new 4680 cells. My current slated delivery date is 6/7-6/20. I wonder if they are expecting to start production this year or next.
If they’re 12-18 months from volume production and it’s starting in the Y first, it could easily be 2+ years before it’s in a 3. That’s a long delay. Depending on how long you keep your car (I’m on a 3-3.5 yr cycle), it would be almost time for the next one by then if you stuck with your current plan. Significant risk, planning a purchase based on speculation. ;-)

A structural battery module isn't an integral part of the chassis. It stiffens the chassis, just as a bonded windshield does.

The 4680 cells should fit into a module that is the same form factor as the 2170 cells. Presumably changing modules will require no changes to production.
OK so I recalled Elon had referred to them as being such but this makes more sense.

I had assumed the CT will have 4680 too, thats how they can achieve the ranges they have spec'd for such a large vehicle?

Since Fremont Model Y line is fully functional I figured they would concentrate on CT over Y out of Austin to get going especially with the crazy amount of pre-orders for CT.

But nobody knows, its all speculation at this point.
The CT casting building in Austin hasn't even started construction and the 8,000 ton press hasn't been built. Whereas the MY casting building already has 2 of the smaller (6,500 ton?) machines installed. One of them is pumping-out castings that are getting shipped somewhere. Paint shop has a lot of the equipment installed. It's pretty obvious the MY will be produced first.

The P models come with a 980 rear motor(some early 2020 Ys had them due to lack of stock of 990 and can be hacked to get the same power as the P model). With that mindset i believe the 990 cant safely handle P level of power.
This seems to be the case. The 980 is the P motor and is more robust. The 990 is a slightly less robust motor that is stock front motor in the Ps and LRs, and as of 2020 (and maybe 2019 or even earlier in some cases) is the rear motor on all not P dual motor options. The SR (single motor RWD) uses the 980, again because it can safely handle the higher output. In fact, the 980 on the SR+ is putting out a touch more than it does on the P.

Can’t recall the exact details, but there is a structural difference in the internal parts between the 980 and 990, which makes the 980 stronger, but the 990 slightly more efficient. Hence the decision to put the more efficient (and less costly) 990 on the non performance cars.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung