Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Confirms Tesla Full Self-Driving Subscriptions Coming Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did not say they were. That's why they are two separate paragraphs in fact, to more clearly indicate to you that they are separate, not directly connected statements.
You are justifying your wrong statement, but linking those statements.

That's not the question, because we already know the answer: you get nothing.
You do if you sell privately. If you sell to Tesla I don't know what happens in practice - but I recall some kind of % of what you paid as the trade in value. That should include what you paid for FSD.

Two options should be possible.

Trade the car to Tesla, the seller agreed on price and shouldn’t care what happens after that. Tesla can do what they want to the car but needs to be clear of all features offered to future buyers.

Sell the car to a third party. Tesla shouldn’t touch any of the features on the car.

But how much will they offer you for FSD? Full purchase price or some fraction?

I think this notion of a month to month subscription, that you can turn on or off, at will, won't fly. That's chaos from a pricing perspective. It's likely to be more like a wireless contract with AT&T. You pay monthly but sign up for a fixed term, subject to early termination fees. So, maybe something like $150/mon for a 12-month contract or $120/mon for a 4 year contract. Rates subject to change. Taxes not included. Void where prohibited by law.

I think this notion of a month to month subscription, that you can turn on or off, at will, won't fly. That's chaos from a pricing perspective. It's likely to be more like a wireless contract with AT&T. You pay monthly but sign up for a fixed term, subject to early termination fees. So, maybe something like $150/mon for a 12-month contract or $120/mon for a 4 year contract. Rates subject to change. Taxes not included. Void where prohibited by law.

People already buy cars that way. Most cars in the UK are sold on some kind of finance or lease.

I agree in concept, but with bigger numbers than that.

That's not true, if you sell your car Tesla may decide to disable it. There is a thread on here about it.

No, there are threads here about various cases where a car was misrepresented when it was sold. Tesla don’t disable software features when you sell your car privately. What has happened is there have been occasions when purchases from a reseller have been misrepresented (perhaps accidentally) and, very occasionally, a car that was purchased used from Tesla (perhaps indirectly) was incorrectly configured, and subsequently lost a feature during a software update. These are the cases that generate (justifiably) anger on the part of the final buyer, but that is very different from Tesla disabling features on your car if you sell it privately.

Agreed, with maybe a one-month trial period. I think the motivator here for Tesla is to capture the lease purchases, who are far less likely to get FSD (for obvious reasons). But as others have noted I doubt they can make $150/month work based on the current purchase price.

It will be interesting to see how Tesla handles subscription pricing in cars that have less functional hardware.
If over time, new features require later hardware only cars with that later hardware will get the features. But, I expect the subscription price to be the same. This incentives buyers to buy the hardware upgrade or a new vehicle with the later hardware.