Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Confirms Tesla Full Self-Driving Subscriptions Coming Early 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be interesting to see how Tesla handles subscription pricing in cars that have less functional hardware.

I would imagine those cars would not be eligible . Why would they want questionable hardware to run their FSD that is under such heavy scrutiny? I think it's widely accepted that Tesla's FSD is at best half baked.

Im more interested in seeing what Tesla does with the cars that will be coming off lease soon, remember when they said people would have to turn them in so Tesla can use them for robotaxi?

It's possible, but when it comes to compute power it's more like an all or nothing proposition. If FSD needs "x" compute cycles to operate consitently, "y" might not do it, especially with something like autonomous driving.
If FSD is not possible then perhaps DRCC and / or highway NOA.

Cars like mine with 2.5 hardware are running around with no AP functionality at all.

Last edited:
Having completed a couple of 1,500 mile (round trip) road trips in the last few months and living with FSD for the last couple of years, I’ve come to the conclusion that AP plus lane change (turn signal activated) is all I ever want or need. I find NOA somewhat annoying actually... it changes lanes too often (I do appreciate the ability to turn off “exit passing lane” though) and is way too sketchy on merging to trust.

I have FSD on my cybertruck order but would never pay 10K for it given my usage of the features.

Having completed a couple of 1,500 mile (round trip) road trips in the last few months and living with FSD for the last couple of years, I’ve come to the conclusion that AP plus lane change (turn signal activated) is all I ever want or need. I find NOA somewhat annoying actually... it changes lanes too often (I do appreciate the ability to turn off “exit passing lane” though) and is way too sketchy on merging to trust.

I have FSD on my cybertruck order but would never pay 10K for it given my usage of the features.
You might change your mind if NoA was really really good though? If you trusted it like driving with your best friend. Well, ok, your best-driving friend. If NoA/FSD made all the right calls and was driving just like you would, it might be worth the money.

Reactions: K2500Z71
You might change your mind if NoA was really really good though? If you trusted it like driving with your best friend. Well, ok, your best-driving friend. If NoA/FSD made all the right calls and was driving just like you would, it might be worth the money.
If I truly trusted it I might. I do use it whenever possible though to give Tesla more training data.
For example, I used it on a suburban road outside of Knoxville, TN last week where if I hadn’t intercepted it, I would have had a head on crash (three lane intersection, one lane each direction with an oncoming left turn lane. AP lined me up with the oncoming left turn lane). I have a bunch of really challenging situations in my routine driving here in upstate NY (roundabouts, blind intersections, etc.) that make me skeptical that FSD would ever really handle. I’m not in the test group for the current beta though so I can’t comment on how the latest software might handle them.

Reactions: Dan D.

Fully agree here.

I have had both EAP and FSD on my Model S, and while basic AP on highway and to some extent in city is extremely useful, the added value from NOA is negligible. FSD this far has only added traffic light detection and is not really worth anything now.

For FSD to become worth the price, the car should actually need to drive itself - be able to find a parking lot somewhere with no-one in the car and earn as a robotaxi. This has been the promise of FSD, but does not look like it will be kept during the lifetime of many vehicles with the feature fully paid for.

Fully agree here.

I have had both EAP and FSD on my Model S, and while basic AP on highway and to some extent in city is extremely useful, the added value from NOA is negligible. FSD this far has only added traffic light detection and is not really worth anything now.

For FSD to become worth the price, the car should actually need to drive itself - be able to find a parking lot somewhere with no-one in the car and earn as a robotaxi. This has been the promise of FSD, but does not look like it will be kept during the lifetime of many vehicles with the feature fully paid for.
I don't think it needs to be able to be run as a robotaxi at the current price, but certainly if they plan on raising any further it might.

I personally have no intention of wearing out my car and letting it get trashed by filthy, stinking strangers who will steal crap, I just want to be able to sleep or read during my commute.

And the green light chime! most underrated feature.

• Love
Reactions: JBT66
I would never in a million years pay outright for FSD, but I may be willing to try it for a few months or on and off for road trips if that were an option. I don't need it most of the time.
I did. Why? Because Elon said “ get in early the price will keep going up”
literally nowhere did it or does it say that you don’t own the software and that you have to pay for it again when you sell your car.Yes, I assumed incorrectly that when a receipt says purchased and the date I would own the software.
The whole thing is a con and impossible to deliver except on a few roads in the USA.
I love Tesla but Musks constant exaggeration and lies are starting to concern me as an investor in Tesla. Elon is a very clever man but incredibly stupid to lie to his customers and shareholders.

FSD is still beta, and you are still in control of the vehicle. It's just that when it's working well, you're not giving it instructions by pressing pedals or turning a wheel.
How long can beta last?
when does Beta become another word for “ you have no comeback if something doesnt work ( summon) or causes and accident (phantom braking).Why dot say the whole car is in beta to avoid claims.

As a soon to be first time Tesla model 3 owner, I have to say this thread is one of the best I have read with people sharing their experience of FSD. I was really keen on buying the FSD package but after reading this I might wait. Especially since FSD is not even available as a beta in Australia yet. I really like the auto park that my current Merc and Range Rover have and am really pissed that there is no option to buy just that feature ! I don’t see the need for any other feature right now in the FSD package. But auto park is not worth 10k AUD right now, at least not to me.

As a soon to be first time Tesla model 3 owner, I have to say this thread is one of the best I have read with people sharing their experience of FSD. I was really keen on buying the FSD package but after reading this I might wait. Especially since FSD is not even available as a beta in Australia yet. I really like the auto park that my current Merc and Range Rover have and am really pissed that there is no option to buy just that feature ! I don’t see the need for any other feature right now in the FSD package. But auto park is not worth 10k AUD right now, at least not to me.

You can also bet that the city streets auto steer/nav on autopilot won’t be able to do a Melbourne hook turn for a very, very very very very long time.