Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk deletes twitter posts about P85D/85D efficiency increases

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And there we go again, assuming the worse for why a decision was made.

It only took a few minutes!

The problem is in assuming that they should have dropped the price to spur demand. I've been involved in manufacturing my whole adult life. It's not that simple. When resources are constrained as they are at Tesla, you don't reduce prices and therefore revenue, while simultaneously complicating everything, just to offer an option that's not very popular in hopes that it will be popular. Yes, there's a subset of the Model S owner population interested in aero wheels. While some may like them, the statistics clearly showed that they weren't very popular due to aesthetics. (There's a poll on here somewhere).

If there truly is demand for it, one of the aftermarket companies (like TSportline) would start offering an option. I don't see that happening anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

i thought they killed the S60D to streamline the production process, same with the brown and green paints.

Yup..my post right after yours alludes to making these types of decisions to simplify production & the manufacturing process.

i thought they killed the S60D to streamline the production process, same with the brown and green paints.

I thought the only difference was the pack TBH, can't see it making any difference.

My thinking is the real problem is the 60D would have been it's so close to a 2wd 85 in price terms that you'd really need to be budget constrained AND live somewhere that demanded 4x4, to forego the range and SpC access the latter gives you. I suspect that's a very small target audience.