Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Diagnosis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kbM3

May 22, 2017
Orlando
Imagine it is just after the sale of PayPal and Elon feeling depressed visits a psychiatrist.

Psychiatrist: So what are your life goals, your hopes, your dreams?

Elon:
Goal 1A is to make this planet better for all humankind.
Goal 1B is to make humans a multi-planetary species.

Psychiatrist: Er, well Ok.

I mean seriously. Is there any other possible diagnosis than Delusions of Grandeur?

I am not religious, but the fact that the 3 lbs. of mass that reside in Elon's head is capable of causing the changes that we now see, and will see even more in the future, gives me an immense sense of awe and wonder

How about Thomas Edison? Nikola Tesla? Isaac Newton?

I do not want to denigrate Elon in any way, but without much question Newton, Tesla and Edison made more fundamental changes in how humankind actually behaved. Can Musk do the equal those people? I tend to doubt it.

Anyway, I am definitely in awe of Elon Musk, and am a happy investor in his dreams so far as I can be. Should SpaceX go public I'll be there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about Thomas Edison? Nikola Tesla? Isaac Newton?

I do not want to denigrate Elon in any way, but without much question Newton, Tesla and Edison made more fundamental changes in how humankind actually behaved. Can Musk do the equal those people? I tend to doubt it.

Anyway, I am definitely in aw of Elon Musk, and am a happy investor in his dreams so far as I can be. Should SpaceX go public I'll be there too.
I am also in awe of them as well (in such a short list I would also include Einstein). I think I am a humanist. I just love learning about the works of great people.

However, I am guessing when all is said and done, Elon will have made greater contributions to humanity than any of them.

We won't know for a while yet. It is so exciting that we are still watching his story unfolding.

But is there any argument that his dreams/aspirations/goals are larger?

...in such a short list I would also include Einstein). ..
Now why did I not do that? Pretty obvious exclusion on my part. I suppose my only very, very weak defense might be that it took longer for Einstein's contribution to establish direct human impact than it did for the others, even Newton, since The Calculus had quite immediate impact. That's pretty weak, when one thinks about, say, GPS, although that may be the primary direct consumer-facing application of Einstein's work. Zero question though that celestial mechanicals and rocketry could not be as they are today would considering Einstein's work. The other people were immediately commercial so I imagined them more nearly analogous with Elon.

Reactions: T3slaTulips
Now why did I not do that? Pretty obvious exclusion on my part. I suppose my only very, very weak defense might be that it took longer for Einstein's contribution to establish direct human impact than it did for the others, even Newton, since The Calculus had quite immediate impact. That's pretty weak, when one thinks about, say, GPS, although that may be the primary direct consumer-facing application of Einstein's work. Zero question though that celestial mechanicals and rocketry could not be as they are today would considering Einstein's work. The other people were immediately commercial so I imagined them more nearly analogous with Elon.
Yeah. And after I replied I thought of Gutenberg. Probably deserves a whole new thread to try and decide where Elon does now, and will eventually, stand in the pantheon.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Yeah. And after I replied I thought of Gutenberg. Probably deserves a whole new thread to try and decide where Elon does now, and will eventually, stand in the pantheon.
That is a very good idea. Then we could consider Henry Ford, Cyrus McCormick, Cyrus Field, Alfred Nobel and so many others.

Now you've made me feel bad. I've never even heard of the Cyruses (Cyrusae?) :)

Thanks for the tip. Must investigate.
McCormick- invented the "mechanical reaper" thus made modern grain farming possible in one fell swoop.
Field- laid the first Atlantic cable, the basis for fast international communication.

Elon is an amazing human and he will likely go down in history as someone who really changed the course of modern human history but he pretty clearly has some significant psychopathology much like other genius people have in the past, Tesla in particular. I'm no psychiatrist but I imagine he has a bit of bipolar in him with prominent manic features including his delusions of grandeur and obsessive compulsive behavior towards his work. I just hope he takes care of himself it doesn't seem like he ever sleep.s

How many divorces now? 3? 4? Clearly the guy has some personal issues. Not judging at all as we all have our issues but it is an interesting discussion.

I'm not quite ready to elevate E. Musk to the lofty levels spoken above quite yet.
I'd be more comfortable if I was convinced there is long term financial stability in his visions; I question the mention of the truck and the Y at a time when he is trying to get the 3 into production. (I read where a billion dollars will be needed for these other projects). I'm led to believe there was some questionable dealings with his Solar endeavors as well.
Over the past 100 years there have been numerous start-up automobile companies lead by talented, visionary men ... only to fail (for various reasons, but cash flow was a major cause).

I will agree that Musk has surrounded himself with very creative and capable engineers and designers ... and for that he wins my respect and admiration.

Barring a major natural disaster, world war, or plague the current model of transportation is not sustainable. Even if you could get the budget and land to keep up with exponential population growth over the next 100 years you would eventually run out of room to put in bigger roads in major population centers. Self driving vehicles, especially services where you do not own your own vehicle just pay per ride, tunnels, flying cars... something has to change because our population growth is not slowing any time soon.

Barring a major natural disaster, world war, or plague the current model of transportation is not sustainable. Even if you could get the budget and land to keep up with exponential population growth over the next 100 years you would eventually run out of room to put in bigger roads in major population centers. Self driving vehicles, especially services where you do not own your own vehicle just pay per ride, tunnels, flying cars... something has to change because our population growth is not slowing any time soon.

Actually, yes... population growth is already slowing and has been for some time. The major industrialized countries are near or even below replacement fertility and those that are growing are depending ever more heavily on immigration. There are a number of lesser developed countries that are still growing rapidly, but there is every reason to expect that they will start to follow the industrialized countries.

http://www.un.org/esa/population/publications/longrange2/WorldPop2300final.pdf

There's still a lot of uncertainly as to what the peak will eventually be, but it's hard to see that we won't hit it by 2050.

• Informative
Reactions: KidDoc
What makes Musk different that most people who are trying to save the world through good deeds and you can really see it in the products he makes. Elon understands that its not enough to make an Electric car that is good enough. He knows it has to be better. Same with the solar tiles, they could not just be as good as other roofing solutions, they had to be substantially better. Some might argue that S is not substantially better then a 7 Series or an S Class. But the reality is that the S in terms of TCO is more inline with 5 series and M5 on the performance side. Elon was wise to start with a lower volume car that could support a high price tag. This allowed him to make the most beautiful car and to smash the myths of EVs being ugly. Now with the 3, the is going to smash the myth of them being to expensive and ugly. Elon is harnessing market forces to help push his agenda. Meaning, he is making a market where none existed and forcing the hands of competitors to match him. The Bolt does not exist without Musk and its a damn fine car and a very good first step for GM. Certainly better then anything else that's not a Tesla.

Elon and Tesla want competition and really need it to achieve their goals. Even if their goal was only to sell more cars, competition actually helps this by pushing awareness. I think we would all be surprised to find out how few people even know what Tesla is and how incredible the Model S is as an achievement. This will change as more and more models are released and awareness for electric cars goes up as competitors release cars. If your neighbor buys a Bolt and takes you for a ride, and you are die hard ICE guy, you would be blown away by this car and just how responsive and fun it is. Then he says to you.. but I wanted a Model 3 but it wasnt out yet. Oh yeah.. whats a Model 3. Most people are as fanatical as we are and most people are inundated by the FUD that is being spread by ICE and Oil companies.

Model 3 hitting the streets in volume is going to sell a lot of Model S/X to people who just have no idea what Tesla is yet. This also going to sell a lot of solar when people convert 2 ICE cars in their garage to EVs. The traditional ICE family today that is not even contemplating solar will have a huge solar system to feed their cars. My daily electrical use can at times double with just one car. Of course its cheaper then gas, but its even cheaper with solar and 2 cars. The driver for some is to save the environment and Tesla has those folks, but some people are driven by different things and the Model 3 will help drive this people based on economic factors alone. It is actually more brilliant then the engineering of the car if you ask me. It is really hard to change the way people see the world.

Reactions: NSX1992 and KidDoc