Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk does "Ask Me Anything (AMA)" session on Reddit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind that the design intent behind everything Tesla is to "look cool". And if you look at SpaceX it is the same... To the point where the design intend for Dragon V2 was that it look like a proper almost alien spaceship and the spacesuits (which we haven't seen yet) has a requirement to look "badass".

They have also talked repeatedly about not looking like a golf cart or other crazy designs when referencing previous models. And if you hear the story about their decisions surrounding what body style to go with for the roadster they had everyone vote based on looks.

So. That all being said if it looks terrible then that was be very un-Tesla and un-Elon. I have no doubt that the Model 3 will look just as cool as everyone dreams it should. It can be different and still look cool. Why is it that the 2 seated sports cars are all capable of looking wholly unique and there is no mistaking a Ferrari from a lambo from a porshe to a lotus but when you get into sedans... And then even worse compact sedans they instantly all look just about the same minus like one piece of flair on the car that makes it " stand out" so you know, that's a Honda, and that's a BMW, and that's a Toyota... Why? The distinct feature of a BMW is the front grill. They didn't put thought into the rest of the sedan style... In fact they just make the grill a smaller version of the higher end BMWs... Boring... Why can't you have something that looks cool while not being the same as every other compact sedan out there?

well to be fair

the S is basically a jag, maserati, and aston triple-sex love child

(except better looking than that implies...)

and i highly disagree sedans all look the same. the new fusion looks absolutely amazing, the camry is bold and risky (altho i personally dont like it), the mazda kodo stuff is jaw dropping in a good way, the altima is...

well, the mazda looks cool

well to be fair

the S is basically a jag, maserati, and aston triple-sex love child

(except better looking than that implies...)

and i highly disagree sedans all look the same. the new fusion looks absolutely amazing, the camry is bold and risky (altho i personally dont like it), the mazda kodo stuff is jaw dropping in a good way, the altima is...

well, the mazda looks cool

I realize the S did not break the mold at all. It wasn't supposed to. Part of the design intent of the S was to "blend in" while still having its own flair.

Of all those you mention the only real notes is that the american design is more blocky (sharp edges) while the Asian designs are more smooth. The only one that stands out is the kodo and that type of design is what I would expect from the Model 3 (not that it will look even close to that, since there is no reason for such a large front end... since there is no engine). outside of smooth vs blocky they look the same. The only stand out pieces are the very front ends of the car in the grill design... again, boring... I am not saying any of the cars look bad. They just look... the same...

And coming from someone who didn't used to be a car person... like... at all... the only cars that ever used to have distinction to my non-car mind. Was the flashy fancy sports cars... for the longest time, unless I could see the emblem on the car I couldn't tell the difference between most cars on the road. All Muscle cars looked the same... all sedans looked the same... all trucks... well you get the point. Even today looking at cars on the road I have gotten quite good at spotting the emblems on the car in order to identify what it is. Unless it is a really stand out design. Muscle cars have really separated themselves from each other so I can generally spot a vette over a camaro over a mustang... No confusion there. And same with most 2 seater sports cars. But sedans... They still all look mostly the same. I'm sorry but they do.

Is there a summary of ONLY the questions and answers from the AMA without slogging through all the comments?

I really can't stand reddit because of all the noise.

If you just sort by highest rated, almost all of the ones that he responded to are going to be at the top. Since that was largely the criteria Elon used, himself, to pick which questions to answer. His tag is also a different color from everyone else so that should also help. You *shouldn't* have to load any additional comments at the bottom to find them all. There might have been one that he answered below the top rated ones. Hope that helps!

And now Toyota is spamming Reddit's front page with their ridiculous "giveaway of useless trash" FCV patents to distract the market. I commented already on these idiotic threads, some of you may wish to as well. We need to debunk the FCV vaporware/myth when we see it, and leave hydrogen in rockets where it belongs.

Toyota following in Tesla's steps - Releases more than 5,000 patents to advance fuel cell tech : technology

Toyota gives away 5,680 fuel cell patents to build 'game-changing' car of the future : worldnews

Elon's (and my) thoughts, for reference:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk: Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles Are | Inside EVs

Public Service Announcement: Elon is scheduled to appear on Reddit at 9pm EST tonight for an "AMA" (Ask Me Anything). This is a live "interview" in which he fields questions in real-time from the great big anonymous internet masses (currently composed of mostly "youngish" male nerds like me (Okay I'm not that young anymore), though less so recently as Reddit's popularity increases).

Link:
I Am A, where the mundane becomes fascinating and the outrageous suddenly seems normal.

Might be some juicy tidbits in there that have potential to move the stock in the morning. Worth paying attention to.

Only Tesla reference from last night's Reddit AMA was more than a little vague:

68d5d4736b04c49ae994c4c40dd03d30.jpg

That was my first IAMA and probably my last. Most answers were SpaceX related with the only Tesla answer saying how the Model III will be different. Agreed, too much noise on reddit.

Don't hate the program... it was stated upfront (via twitter) that his intentions were to not focus on Tesla related things... or rather that he was more interested in discussing SpaceX stuff.

I take that as two fold: Tesla and SolarCity are both public companies and there are likely unique hurdles with that. Second that the launch that was supposed to happen today is a big deal for SpaceX and that is where his mind is right now.

Maybe in the future he will do one that is more Tesla focused. Most people respected his wishes on sticking to SpaceX which is likely why none of the Tesla stuff bubbled very high to the surface. He actually did a similar thing in the past on Jalopnik and it was, if I am not mistaken, almost all Tesla focused... because, well, that IS a car blogging site.

So please don't let that spoil you from AMA or Reddit in general. There are good things posted over there.

Don't hate the program... it was stated upfront (via twitter) that his intentions were to not focus on Tesla related things... or rather that he was more interested in discussing SpaceX stuff.
I was about to point out the same thing. This AMA was mainly SpaceX which is why he avoided Tesla questions. If he does a Tesla AMA, I'm sure it'll be what he was looking for.