TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon Musk doing AMA at 3pm PST

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by WaitingForTes, Oct 23, 2016.

1. WaitingForTes

WaitingForTes Member

• Helpful x 1
  2. DadoP90DL

DadoP90DL Member

He is going to announce free retrofit to 2.0 AP for all existing AP 1.0 owners so that everyone can stop crying about it. Jk

• Funny x 2
  3. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Does AMA mean A Major Announcement?

4. DadoP90DL

DadoP90DL Member

Correct.

• Funny x 2
  5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Ask Me Anything, which doesn't mean I Shall Answer Anything.

6. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

7. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

make sure we ask a ton about the Model 3 interior...and ask about the reason for not including rear radar in the self driving cars... many people are very concerned about this.

8. WaitingForTes

WaitingForTes Member

Thought it meant Ask Me Anything.

9. WaitingForTes

WaitingForTes Member

10. woof

woof Model X 75D Blue, 6 seats

• Like x 1
  11. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Brilliant publicity move for reddit, Elon uses Twitter and reddit, and the blog of Tim Urban (WaitButWhyNot) as his three main communication channels in the purely digital space. You'll note that he doesn't use Facebook, Instagram or Vine for example. Those are deliberate choices. Now reddit is getting heavier and heavier in its space much thanks to guys like Elon making it "the place where interesting direct interaction can occur in near real time with important individuals of our time. Where you can literally ask them anything. And if they answer it's them, in this case Elon himself in person likely typing the answer personally using a keyboard or his phone.

12. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

13. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

TMC should crash the event and just keep asking stupid Tesla questions.

1 - So Elon, what dates in 2017 would be good to buy a Tesla and what dates should we not buy a Tesla and tell everyone not to as well.
    2 - I know you said it's like removing and implanting a spine, but what can I do to get a AP2 retrofit.
    3 - Why didn't you tell your sales staff to quit selling Teslas for 6 months because you knew AP2 was coming?
    4 - I received by car 29 days before AP2 was announced. I am thinking it would be a good idea to offer free upgrades/retrofits/returns for everyone who got their cars 30 days or less ago.
    5 - I received my car 56 days before AP2 was announced. I am thinking it would be a good idea to offer free upgrades/retrofits/returns for everyone who got their cars 57 days or less ago.

The trolling possibilities are endless.

14. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Trolling level: lame. None of those questions will get answered, just ignored you Elon. But there will be discussion on reddit, far far down on the page since the questions that do get answered by Elon will be read and upvoted.

15. MXWing

MXWing Active Member

Of course. I'm not serious. It's a hypothetical move for whiney, entitled men-children who doesn't know how the world works.

• Love x 1
  16. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

Here's a link to Elon's answers:

overview for ElonMuskOfficial

Here's a juicy tidbit:
    "Final Falcon 9 has a lot of minor refinements that collectively are important, but uprated thrust and improved legs are the most significant.

Actually, I think the F9 boosters could be used almost indefinitely, so long as there is scheduled maintenance and careful inspections. Falcon 9 Block 5 -- the final version in the series -- is the one that has the most performance and is designed for easy reuse, so it just makes sense to focus on that long term and retire the earlier versions. Block 5 starts production in about 3 months and initial flight is in 6 to 8 months, so there isn't much point in ground testing Block 3 or 4 much beyond a few reflights."

• Like x 1
  17. abasile

abasile Independent Software Eng.

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1800m)
    Among others, I found this answer interesting:
    What I'm wondering is, could glass panes provide adequate radiation shielding? Living on Mars would be a lot less fun, in my opinion, if it has to entail staying below ground the great majority of the time. It sure would be nice to have living spaces with views out onto the Martian landscape and of the sky, but only if cosmic and solar radiation could be adequately blocked.

18. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction as you when I read what Elon said about geodesic domes with glass panes set in carbon fiber frames. I can't answer your question, but can speculate that it should be possible to monitor cosmic ray intensity so that the domes would be off limits at times but accessible when safe, like when the sun was low on the horizon and at night (again, I'm speculating here).

19. jkn

jkn Member

Intensity of cosmic radiation is roughly constant (it comes from far away). Solar radiation does change. 10 m of water gives roughly same radiation protection as our atmosphere (= not perfect). For meteorite and radiation protection it is better to live under ground. Replace windows with displays.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Actually cosmic radiation varies with the solar cycle. The sun's magnetosphere tends to divert cosmic rays, so as the solar cycle increases, cosmic radiation decreases.

Cosmic Rays and the Solar Cycle