Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk doing AMA at 3pm PST

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brilliant publicity move for reddit, Elon uses Twitter and reddit, and the blog of Tim Urban (WaitButWhyNot) as his three main communication channels in the purely digital space. You'll note that he doesn't use Facebook, Instagram or Vine for example. Those are deliberate choices. Now reddit is getting heavier and heavier in its space much thanks to guys like Elon making it "the place where interesting direct interaction can occur in near real time with important individuals of our time. Where you can literally ask them anything. And if they answer it's them, in this case Elon himself in person likely typing the answer personally using a keyboard or his phone.

TMC should crash the event and just keep asking stupid Tesla questions.

1 - So Elon, what dates in 2017 would be good to buy a Tesla and what dates should we not buy a Tesla and tell everyone not to as well.
2 - I know you said it's like removing and implanting a spine, but what can I do to get a AP2 retrofit.
3 - Why didn't you tell your sales staff to quit selling Teslas for 6 months because you knew AP2 was coming?
4 - I received by car 29 days before AP2 was announced. I am thinking it would be a good idea to offer free upgrades/retrofits/returns for everyone who got their cars 30 days or less ago.
5 - I received my car 56 days before AP2 was announced. I am thinking it would be a good idea to offer free upgrades/retrofits/returns for everyone who got their cars 57 days or less ago.

The trolling possibilities are endless.

Trolling level: lame. None of those questions will get answered, just ignored you Elon. But there will be discussion on reddit, far far down on the page since the questions that do get answered by Elon will be read and upvoted.

Of course. I'm not serious. It's a hypothetical move for whiney, entitled men-children who doesn't know how the world works.

• Love
Reactions: Johan
Here's a link to Elon's answers:

overview for ElonMuskOfficial

Here's a juicy tidbit:
"Final Falcon 9 has a lot of minor refinements that collectively are important, but uprated thrust and improved legs are the most significant.

Actually, I think the F9 boosters could be used almost indefinitely, so long as there is scheduled maintenance and careful inspections. Falcon 9 Block 5 -- the final version in the series -- is the one that has the most performance and is designed for easy reuse, so it just makes sense to focus on that long term and retire the earlier versions. Block 5 starts production in about 3 months and initial flight is in 6 to 8 months, so there isn't much point in ground testing Block 3 or 4 much beyond a few reflights."

Reactions: GoTslaGo
Among others, I found this answer interesting:
Initially, glass panes with carbon fiber frames to build geodesic domes on the surface, plus a lot of miner/tunneling droids. With the latter, you can build out a huge amount of pressurized space for industrial operations and leave the glass domes for green living space.

What I'm wondering is, could glass panes provide adequate radiation shielding? Living on Mars would be a lot less fun, in my opinion, if it has to entail staying below ground the great majority of the time. It sure would be nice to have living spaces with views out onto the Martian landscape and of the sky, but only if cosmic and solar radiation could be adequately blocked.

What I'm wondering is, could glass panes provide adequate radiation shielding? Living on Mars would be a lot less fun, in my opinion, if it has to entail staying below ground the great majority of the time. It sure would be nice to have living spaces with views out onto the Martian landscape and of the sky, but only if cosmic and solar radiation could be adequately blocked.
I had the same reaction as you when I read what Elon said about geodesic domes with glass panes set in carbon fiber frames. I can't answer your question, but can speculate that it should be possible to monitor cosmic ray intensity so that the domes would be off limits at times but accessible when safe, like when the sun was low on the horizon and at night (again, I'm speculating here).

Intensity of cosmic radiation is roughly constant (it comes from far away). Solar radiation does change. 10 m of water gives roughly same radiation protection as our atmosphere (= not perfect). For meteorite and radiation protection it is better to live under ground. Replace windows with displays.