Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Fanaticism

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, my thread title was a bit click baity. I was originally thinking fanaticism doesn't have be seen as always a bad thing if it's for a good cause, but upon reviewing the Webster's definition...

marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion

...it is perhaps not a good fit, as the devotion to the Tesla mission can be argued as neither excessive nor uncritical (though some folks will continue to argue that it is).

As I get older, I am growing more into the position that we should try to bring with us those souls who may not yet see or have the will to follow the greater good (like the previously mentioned Koch brothers). It's perhaps silly to be moved by a movie, but my mind goes back to Man of Steel and why I loved and was moved by that movie, despite some flaws I felt it had. It had within it the idea that anyone can be a hero (there were several heroic acts by characters other than Superman), and everyone can be a force for good.

The symbol of the House of El means hope. Embodied within that hope is the fundamental belief in the potential of every person to be a force for good.

Fan is after all just the short form of fanatic. Being a fan isn't usually a bad thing. Actually until Elon I never experienced being a fan of anyone. I'm not a sports fan and the idea of arbitrarily identifying with a team or player and feeling genuine joy at somehow sharing their victories and pain at their defeats escaped me. I'm an Elon Fan. I feel joy at his successes. I feel sadness at his setbacks. Not for a minute would I want to be him because part of what I admire is his superhuman capacity for work which I love cheering on from my armchair.

Does anyone have a link to an English translation of the recent Musk interview published in the Handlesbatt magazine? I would like to read what that magazine quotes him as saying, rather than what The Verge reported.

All Charged Up in Berlin Handelsblatt Global Edition

The biggest surprise was that Elon Musk showed up in a tie. That was something we hadn’t expected from a California-based entrepreneur of his caliber. Before the Handelsblatt interview, the Tesla CEO visionary of electromobility had just met with 30 government representatives at a parliamentary breakfast in Berlin to talk about the future of mobility and would meet with German Economics Minister Sigmar Gabriel. He gave Handelsblatt his frank take on the old-school thinking within the German auto industry, what VW should do next and how the German autobahn forced Tesla to adapt their cars.

Last edited by a moderator: