TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk Featured on 60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Video' started by Joel, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Joel

Joel Active Member

2. ETM

ETM Member

I watched this live. I thought it was pretty good. He got very emotional when they mentioned the astronauts testifying against him. They must have been some of his biggest role models and it must have crushed him.

3. de704

de704 XP268

Yah, I agree. That's the most emotion I've seen out of him. More than when he had to increase prices on the roadster customers in "Revenge of the electric Car".

That's one of the things that I admire most about him. He fights for what he believes in. He's all in with money, emotion, everything.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

It was pretty moving. Agreed on this description of the man.

5. grisnjam

grisnjam P6316

Was a great segment. As they showed Space X joining the US, China and Russia as only the fourth entity ever to launch into space and then recover a spacecraft I turn to my wife and said, that's why I am pretty sure this guy can build a electric car :)

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Quite emotional and he did a good job holding composure. His looking away, swallowing, those little tricks you do to try to relax a throat that's tightening up with emotion...you could tell having his heroes testify against private space companies really hurt him. It made it all the more clear how much this means to him personally. That kind of passion is inspiring.

7. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Reminded me of the Pixar movie The Incredibles, where Buddy (aka Syndrome) wanted so badly to be Mr. Incredible's sidekick and was shunned...

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

And Brad Bell has a Tesla!

9. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Just a clarification, you probably meant Brad Bird.

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yes I did. But Mr Bell has one too. :)

11. Grendal

Grendal Active Member

#11 Grendal, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    Very inspiring interview. I consider SpaceX to be a greater accomplishment than Tesla, but both achievements are important to move humanity into the future. His employee called him the modern day Howard Hughes and that is a great description. Hopefully, he doesn't have the sad ending that HH did. There is a lot of money to be made in space and Elon has the vision to get there. Buying a Tesla will be my small way to promote Elon and his projects.

12. Bearman

Bearman Member

Great vid, I admire his perseverance.

13. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Very inspiring.

Goes to show that even American heroes can be cranky old men afraid of change at times :).

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Yeah. For everything they did and for the bravery they showed, it still wouldn't have been possible without the engineering talent that was at NASA and now at Space X. I think Space X is doing a great service by bringing interest back about space at a time when funding for NASA is shrinking.

15. Steph

Steph Member

#15 Steph, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
    I hope these old astronauts heroes hear him. Pay SpaceX a visit.

Please.

16. Steph

Steph Member

I believe these guys are engineers, scientists.

Please Mr Armstrong, collect the facts and reconsider.

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

[FYI - post also here: SpaceX]

I've seen some of the testimony by those former NASA astronauts and at least one former NASA administrator. I didn't construe what they had to say to be a direct attack on SpaceX, as 60 minutes characterized it, but more as stern criticism of the Obama administration and the new NASA budget with the cancellation Constellation program.

Coupled with the end of the Shuttle program, for them it signals the US choosing to give up American leadership in space exploration. Perhaps similar to how the US gave up leadership in particle physics with the cancellation of the SSC.

18. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Then they missed out the European Space Agency and the Japanese - so they are at least the 6th, but not to take anything away from SpaceX.

At the time it was also at the likes of Boeing and Martin, so the concept of private companies building the hardware and doing mission design isn't really a new one.

19. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

The show said "launch, orbit and recover the spacecraft", or something like that. I'm not aware of ESA or Japan recovering something from orbit, and a quick search couldn't find anything, but I'd be happy to be corrected.

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Seems like Japan has done some fairly "advanced" things with rockets...

Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia