Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Featured on 60 Minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having watched the video, it says "in the history of spaceflight only four entities have launched a space capsule into orbit and successfully brought it back to the Earth."

That's moving the goal posts compared to the earlier statement :)

TEG found the Japanese one I was referring to.

The ESA mission was the Atmospheric Reentry Demonstrator, which was an Apollo-style capsule that was flown in 1998 to gather data on reentry systems needed for future crewed vehicles. It went on a 850km sub-orbital flight for 1.5 hours, landing near Hawaii.

ARD189,1.jpg

ard-izado.jpg

Seems to me that the Japanese mission should count, since it went *beyond* orbit. Interesting that it was named after a Falcon. Elon will be able
to relate to that.

GSP

I've seen some of the testimony by those former NASA astronauts and at least one former NASA administrator. I didn't construe what they had to say to be a direct attack on SpaceX, as 60 minutes characterized it...

An Apollo Tribute to SpaceX | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Neil Armstrong wrote a strongly worded letter to 60 Minutes saying that he was taken out of context. The program editor agreed: "Armstrong wrote us to say we had not been complete in our description of his testimony. He's right.

Armstrong is, arguably, the greatest explorer of the 20th Century. I suspect he has admiration for anyone in science or business who sees new possibilities. He may not be confident in a particular federal policy, but I imagine Neil Armstrong stands squarely on the side of those who dare to dream."
— from the CBS Editors Blog

7547788856_fed473a25a_o.jpg