Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: focused on getting self-driving Teslas in wide release by year-end

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also..confusion to customers typically means horrible work by the marketing department and poor messaging by the head of marketing.
You mean there is actually a marketing department? I haven't met them yet :)
Yes, it is sarcasm. I think they are hiding out there somewhere. Or maybe they just don't like talking to engineers. ;)

Well, Elon sometimes says FSD when he's talking about FSD beta. Sometimes it's hard even for the experts on this forum to figure out which one he's talking about.
Yes and even calling it FSD Beta is wrong. Wish he would have never stated this misnaming. It should be called Autosteer on City Streets Beta to follow Tesla's FSD Capability package feature nomenclature.

FSD Beta would technically be a L3 system that is in Beta testing and not the L2 Beta we have. For instance Mercedes is Beta testing (internally) a L3 system and that would qualify as FSD Beta.

FSD Beta would technically be a L3 system that is in Beta testing and not the L2 Beta we have.
That's what it is and no one will ever convince me otherwise. :p
A small correction though, FSD beta is an L5 system that is in beta. There's no evidence that they're working on the handoff required for L3. I suppose one could point to the L3 testing they did in 2019 as evidence...

Using news article headlines as evidence is absurd. The information reported in the article is the evidence and there isn't enough evidence to show that he's talking about releasing FSD instead of FSD beta which he's already said will go wide release before FSD is released.

And did he NOT say previously, that a completed FSD means the capability (again..Capability is the word IN my title) means the cars can be summoned from NYC to LA with no human input? Or do you not recall him stating that?

Yes, I definitely remember that. Like I said, you seem to making an inference. Elon once said FSD would be able of doing cross country summon with no human input, he now says he wants FSD to be ready by end of the year, ergo, you think he is tripling down on FSD will be capable of doing cross country summon by year's end.

Personally, I don't believe FSD will be capable of a cross country summon with no input by year's end as that implies driverless which FSD is nowhere near able to do. If Elon actually thinks that FSD will be driverless by year's end, he is smoking some good weed again. He is again completely underestimating what it takes to "solve FSD". I think it is much more likely that FSD will be L2. It might be capable of doing a cross country FSD drive but not without human input.

And to be clear, capability and reliability are two different things. FSD might have the capability to do a cross country FSD drive by this year's end, but I highly doubt it will do it with zero interventions.

I think if you ran the test 1000 times one of the cars would make it with only needing the press the accelerator some times with what we have today. Autopilot works pretty well on the interstate for the most part…

The biggest challenge would be the unknown charging stops even if you mapped a path with a single freeway for like the majority of the way.

FSD beta for me seems to fail miserably at many freeway exits because for left turns, many times it’ll default to the far left lane which usually returns back to the freeway.

I still don't think the FSD package was ever intended to enable level 4.

Tesla will probably only enable the driverless robotaxi service with their unannounced car. This is the only way to create the proper user experience and reduce liability. This would mean that Elon was overly optimistic during Autonomy Day, where he said the current fleet "can be" (but won't) used as robotaxis. Some would say it's "lying," but I think they've changed course after designing the robotaxi.

Based on the progress I'm seeing, I still think HW3 will eventually be 2-5x human level safety, which is very impressive, aka MIND BLOWING.

I think your title is click bait. Elon just said that he wants FSD to be ready for wide release by end of year. AFAIK, he said nothing about a NYC-LA FSD drive. You need to be exact about Elon actually said.

It also depends what Elon means by "FSD wide". I highly doubt "FSD wide" will be L4. My guess is Elon just wants FSD Beta to be "good enough" by end of this year that they can release to everybody and there are no major issues. It will still be L2. I think Elon wants the PR "win" of saying Tesla has released FSD to all Teslas in the US.
Correct. The OP has a history of twisting the truth.

Reactions: Yelobird and Dewg
The guy’s a car salesman. He says absolutely anything he wants to. Always has, always will. Best to ignore him, even if we took him seriously at some point in the past (probably why we have the cars and the not FSD).
I have long since been cynical about anything said by anyone, and entirely distrustful of most media. Only after cross-checking a story with entirely different sources do I start to believe the story. Some people can earn trust with honest, repeated, verified statements, and by verified I mean by both sides of an issue. Elon is the opposite.

This kind of statement from Elon as reported by Reuters has no value to me whatsoever. A) It's not clear what he meant, nobody here can agree on any of his points. B) The report makes no effort to determine what he meant. C) There are no definite terms or guarantees to anything he said. Why do we even bother to discuss it, we can't know what he doesn't make clear.

Look at the media sources: Teslarati, Electrek, InsideEVs, MotorTrend, CNN, etc. Some are blatently pro-Tesla, Tesla-hostile, some are techno-clueless and get major points wrong. Reddit posts and Twitter are very biased in most cases. Which source you read determines how the story gets told. The truth - when it exists - I find often comes from a high court judgement or the NTSB, and perhaps Congress reports.

I find things Elon says to be amusing at best. He's either deliberately obtuse or he doesn't know what he's talking about and is just making up stuff. It's probably mainly the first one. It would be nice to see a reporter keep pushing to nail him down on a clear answer, with a definite timeline, to a promised date. He could do that (but won't), and I'll bet the honest answer is not "self-driving by the end of the year".

There should be a three-strikes rule for public speakers. Tell lies repeatedly and you're put on media-"ignore" for a period of time.

This kind of statement from Elon as reported by Reuters has no value to me whatsoever. A) It's not clear what he meant, nobody here can agree on any of his points. B) The report makes no effort to determine what he meant. C) There are no definite terms or guarantees to anything he said. Why do we even bother to discuss it, we can't know what he doesn't make clear.
Because, if you see OP's other threads and comments - OP wants to climb the ranks of haters.

Elon Musk in October 2016:

I feel pretty good about this goal. We'll be able to do a demonstration guide of full autonomy all the way from LA to New York. So basically from home in LA to Times Square in New York. And then have the car go and park itself by the end of next year [2017].

He was wildly over-optimistic but I don't think this was a promise. I'm okay with Elon being overly optimistic (not that he needs my approval) but a small part of me worries about what would happen if he hits a brick wall (additional multi-year long delays) with FSD and Starship (and hence Starlink-2). IMO he needs at least one (more) big mind-boggling win.

It should be called Autosteer on City Streets Beta to follow Tesla's FSD Capability package feature nomenclature.
Thank you! Although technically what we have now is a pre-release of Autosteer on City Streets Beta, since even when generally released it will likely still be called “beta” just like summon, autopark, NoA, auto lane change, etc. are all still called “beta.” L2 for sure - that’s how it’s been designed.

I still don't think the FSD package was ever intended to enable level 4.

Tesla will probably only enable the driverless robotaxi service with their unannounced car. This is the only way to create the proper user experience and reduce liability. This would mean that Elon was overly optimistic during Autonomy Day, where he said the current fleet "can be" (but won't) used as robotaxis. Some would say it's "lying," but I think they've changed course after designing the robotaxi.

Based on the progress I'm seeing, I still think HW3 will eventually be 2-5x human level safety, which is very impressive, aka MIND BLOWING.

Even the diehards are starting to moderate their expectations. From October 18, 2021:

Screenshot 2022-08-31 093513.png

Six months later was April 18, 2022.

Even the diehards are starting to moderate their expectations. From October 18, 2021:

View attachment 847387

Six months later was April 18, 2022.
Oh, there has def been a YUGE shift in perception about FSD over the past say, 6-8 months or so, from what it used to be. There is a certain carnival barker who cried wolf one too many times, and folks have (finally) caught on to reality vs wild tales, including many die-hard influencers.