TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk: Human drivers are dangerous

Discussion in 'News' started by mspohr, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Elon keynote at the NVIDIA developer's conference today:
    "I don't think we have to worry about autonomous cars, because it's sort of like a narrow form of AI," Musk told NVidia co-founder and CEO Jen-Hsun Huang at the technology company's annual developers conference today. "It would be like an elevator. They used to have elevator operators, and we developed some simple circuitry for elevators just automatically to come to the floor you're at... the car is going to be just like that." So what happens when we get there? Musk said that the obvious move is to outlaw driving cars. "It's too dangerous," Musk said. "You can't have a person driving a two-ton death machine."

Elon Musk: cars you can drive will eventually be outlawed | The Verge

2. strider

strider Active Member

Then WTF build cars that can accelerate as quickly as a P85D? An autonomous car will never accelerate that quickly so it's a complete waste. One constant in the world, you can always count on Elon for a gaffe. The guy seriously has no filter.

3. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Why not? Just press the "Drag-race ACC" button and let the car race ;)

4. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

I don't think the idea of "manually driven" cars someday being outlawed is going to affect how they design/build cars for a couple decades...

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

When I was a kid cigarettes were considered innocuous by many. Now they are widely viewed as deadly. Which they clearly are.

Someday cars driven by humans will be considered too dangerous compared to cars controlled by computers, and that will make perfect sense at every level.

Elon is usually pretty far ahead of the curve...

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Because it makes money. I don't see why an autonomous car wouldn't accelerate fast. It's just another way to have fun. And since in an aut8nomous vehicle you wouldn't have to face all in the same direction, or to pay attention to the road, there might be some extra fun in graduated acceleration.

7. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

I think the question to ask is, "Does Musk believe the autonomous car is coming whether we want it or not" or "Does Musk believe the autonomous car is going to be better than sliced bread"? That is, does he support the idea or is he simply stating his personal prediction of the future like we might predict gas prices will rise?

8. Beckler

Beckler Member

There's no point in denying the inevitable - it will most certainly come to pass because it's already essentially doable today, and the average safety is presumably already well above humans. But you can never be sure of course, much like one might have thought CGI characters in movies would take over and actors would no longer exist by now. But that's not happening yet...at all. :confused:

9. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Given your post, I'd say you speak from experience. :wink:

10. jjkroll

jjkroll Member

#10 jjkroll, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
    Elon is referring to the far future, which he clarified in his tweet. People will see driving a car as a waste of brain power. Imagine just getting in your car and it taking you places. Complaining about not driving will be like complaining that your car needs a louder exhaust.

11. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

He has already answered you question:

12. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

Well +1. It is a very unusual filter that can just as easily launch into hyperbole (some might call this 'truth bending') should the situation present itself. It is nevertheless just as entertaining to watch as, almost as entertaining as an autonomous car.

13. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

LOL, there you go... pretty much what I figured. He's too much of a gear-head to to want the world to ride around in the Johnny Cab of 'Total Recall'... :biggrin:

14. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

He's not wrong. I have seen some truly terrible drivers in my day. I trust the average person on the road about as far as I can throw em.

15. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I think that as cars become fully autonomous the younger generations will stop getting a drivers license since they don't need it. I doubt they will need to make it illegal, people just won't have licenses anymore.

16. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Cue the lyrics to 'Red Barchetta'...: :cool:

17. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Drove about 150 miles today. Made an estimated 20 corrections due to idiots in the road, at least 2 of which could have been harmful or fatal otherwise (entirely the fault of the other driver).

This is pretty average IMO. I fear other idiot drivers on road more than any existing or future autonomous vehicle thats for sure.

18. Beryl

Beryl Member

I so agree. I'm in Texas, the "country" where people don't believe in safe driving distances and signaling.

US manufacturing, Autopilot, range, and comfort are the top 4 reasons I reserved the MX. I hope Tesla delivers the "easy" features right away (slow speeds, parking, lane control. and highway speeds).

19. deonb

deonb Active Member

There is an interim - allow users to drive, but don't allow users to make mistakes.

Though, if I had a choice between not being allowed to drive myself, and being stuck in traffic, I'd prefer not to drive myself.

20. wayner

wayner Active Member

We are nowhere near autonomous driving today, at least not in bad weather conditions. The TACC on my Model S lasts for about 3 minutes in heavy snow until the sensor ices over and lane assist can't read lane lines when they are not visible due to snow. Not to mention that it thinks streetcar tracks in cities like Toronto are lane markers.