TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk: I'll Put a Man on Mars in 10 Years

Discussion in 'Video' started by Norbert, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#1 Norbert, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
    Elon Musk: Ill Put a Man on Mars in 10 Years - MarketWatch Video

Not much really new, but otherwise interesting. A few words about the "performance" version of the Model S. (Apparently not certain yet, but a goal.)

2. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

It would be very cool if the upgrade to the model s sport was mostly software(you would have to have the 300 mile pack of course). If that was the case, Tesla could sell the upgrade to the early model s buyers that don't want to wait for the sport.

3. kgb

kgb Member

Elon Musk: "I think we'll have a [Model S] that accelerates comparable to the Roadster..."

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I think he has a little technological breakthrough up his sleeve. I know the Model S was going to be sporty, but if a Model S can get close to 4.0s 0-60 times, that would be very impressive.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Going for best sedan ever too.

5. zack

zack Member

Grrrrrr!

6. efxjim

efxjim Member

Throw in a second axle for 4 wheel drive and twice the power. Upgrade or double the inverter and I think he will be in the ballpark.

7. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Agree Q...we'd get the best of both worlds...this would be outstanding!

8. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Model S-sport. Model S, er, S?

Well this news about the running platform's capabilities certainly looks good for the next gen Roadster. But for Model SS I'm guessing that there will have to be some form of weight reduction/ a more spartan interior option/ guidelines on maximum payload/occupants (two adults-weekend bag-no kids) or maybe even a lower energy density/higher power density performance battery pack available. Maybe this will be the USP for the lower range battery packs.

But who knows. Maybe it can be done with software tweaks and a big red button labelled "WARP". Maybe the present design is just electronically limited to its present acceleration rate and top speed in order to optimise range and calendar life.

Either way, it keeps Tesla at the top of the EV powertrain business.

9. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

A man on Mars? They will have to build an extraordinary battery pack to go that far!

10. raymond

raymond Member

Being 60% heavier than a Roadster, this would require (roughly) 60% more power than the Roadster currently has. The battery shouldn't be a problem as long as you've got "the big'uns", for the PEM and motor it would be a little more tricky. A 4WD version might be the easiest option as you can more-or-less re-use what you've already got: no need for a bigger PEM or bigger motor. Disadvantage: at that acceleration you can't get much power on the road over the front wheels (but 60% might be possible).
    A bigger motor might not be a bad idea as bigger motors tend to be more energy efficient (or so I've read on the Tesla blogs some eons ago).

11. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

It may be no coincidence that Elon's other company (aside from SpaceX) is an electric car company. After all how does he plan to drive around once he gets to Mars? Model X should work.

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

A bigger motor = more energy efficient sounds good. Plus smaller motors in front for stability, additional acceleration, and: much more regen. I'd guess. :) Maybe that will be the "ultra"-performance version. ;)

13. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

And a PV company. Bound to need a few of those.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

SC just puts them up. Would they just send some space installers?

15. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Wouldn't totally surprise me if SC had some skunkworks developing a manufacturing technology that would scale to meet the in-situ PV manufacturing needs of a Mars base.

We already know SC has worked with Roadster batteries for PV storage - no grid-tie on Mars for a while!

16. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

What if the Mars Model X broke down...can you imagine the cost of sending a (Space) Ranger to Mars (at a buck a mile)? :scared:

17. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

4s 0-60 in a 4000 lbs sedan means you need REALLY fat and sticky rear tires which mean poor energy efficiency and short lifetime. Liquid cooled battery, PEM and motor aren't a problem in this scenario, grip is.

18. EV_de

EV_de Model SP10/XP9 EU ZOE#47

#18 EV_de, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
    Mars Model X will have a trunk monkey ( space edition ) .... images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfat-hB9h7XkELlGW60mQA8Ym3qKqBxeEZrurx_U1m2qOYHRiKSVFG91Q.jpg

19. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

That would speak in favor of motor(s) on the front wheels... their grip is currently unused for acceleration (and regen).

20. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Also, can't do space exploration if all the oil us burned up in cars...