Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk in Munich: "Free long-distance trave for ALL FUTURE VEHICLES!!!"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now it says this also in the specs:

"Free long distance travel using Tesla’s Supercharger Network"

The web archive shows that on March-30 it was:

"Supercharging ready; included when equipped with the 85 kWh battery"

Looks lihe thay are getting ready to limiting local supercharging.

I have no problem with this, but I don't think they can do it after the fact. It's likely VINs lower than x will have unlimited supercharger access. Above x will have limits for local charging. X= vin issued after the policy change.

Looks like they are getting ready to limiting local supercharging.

Why would this mean that they will limit free charging for vehicles local to the supercharger?
How do you come to that conclusion?
Can you explain that?

Looks like they are getting ready to limiting local supercharging.

I think they mean "hey, you typically plug in at home and it is not free - but when you travel, it can be free". Bad wording, really. The SC network and HPWC destination charging is kind of a "free fuel away from home" scenario.

If they limit charging at superchargers, how would that happen? Blinking red ring upon plug in at your home SC? "No Juice For You!" ? What if you are down to 0 miles and would be stranded? How about "Home SC 60 KW, distance SC 120KW+"? All sorts of options. Or none - just keep them all as stated in prior years. "Charging will always be free"

What is really "long distance" anyway? Some people believe long distance is 90 miles. Some think 1000 miles.

I highly doubt they'd limit locals from accessing, but what they are doing is emphasizing the long distance part. It's good marketing for a couple of reasons. First it helps people who still think EVs are short range commuter cars only to realize that long distances are possible, and secondly it encourages the thinking of "only for long distance" which helps with congestion at the site without having to enforce anything. It's just good wording overall.

I highly doubt they would restrict supercharger access. For one, it sounds like it's already built into the cost of cars, and they should continue to do so for future models. Secondly, it's essential for Tesla to ever become a full ICE replacement, and I don't think Elon would dare make such a change to push EVs back into a niche environment for urban dwellers.

Even limiting the charging rate would be harmful for those who dump their ICE without a dedicated home charger.

I imagine Tesla's solution for this has already been put into motion: the destination charger program. Offload a bit of that local supercharger load to private businesses who use it to attract Tesla customers. I imagine if destination chargers are ubiquitous enough (work, shopping, eateries), someone without a garage could easily use a Tesla without having to supercharge locally.

Tesla's been very clear that in places like London, it understands that customers will be using Superchargers for local driving. I don't see Tesla unwinding this policy.
Supercharging will still take half an hour.
Half an hour wait while on a long trip is not a big problem. Driving 5 minutes to nearest SC and then wait half an hour is not practical.

Local charging is not a real problem. It will happen but in not big enough numbers to be problematic.
There is simple solution for all SC units being used at one time: add more units. This is what Elon already said they will be doing.
If that means 32 units at one location, so be it.

Reactions: Waiting4M3
Driving 5 minutes to nearest SC and then wait half an hour is not practical.
That depends very much what's around it, and how often you need to visit. Imagine visiting an SC once a week in the parking lot of the supermarket that you visit weekly anyway.

Ideally SCs should be near amenities needed on highway trips, but away from amenities that locals need on a frequent basis.

That said, I still think most people will find the convenience of home charging just too much to want to drive to an SC to charge.

Supercharging will still take half an hour.
Half an hour wait while on a long trip is not a big problem. Driving 5 minutes to nearest SC and then wait half an hour is not practical.

Local charging is not a real problem. It will happen but in not big enough numbers to be problematic.
There is simple solution for all SC units being used at one time: add more units. This is what Elon already said they will be doing.
If that means 32 units at one location, so be it.

I'd rather spend 30 minutes charging weekly than 10 minutes at a gas station.

I can go and do other things during that 30 minute charge. I can't leave the pump at a gas station, which is especially horrible when it's 0 degrees F outside.

Even if there are zero amenities around, I'd much rather spend 30 minutes using my phone in my nice warm car than 10 minutes holding a gas pump and fumbling with payment cards.

Free long-distance trave for ALL FUTURE VEHICLES!!!

Meaning not only Generation3, but also the Tesla EV models AFTER Generation3.

This is such a major announcement (for the future growth of the company) that it deserves to have a separate thread.

New Ive been saying this over and over in this forum since April.

SC'ing is not just for Long Distance travel. Even Tesla is saying this in so many words. I mean..... how many long distance travelers go grocery shopping?

Tesla partners with grocery chain on Midwest Supercharger expansion