TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk Interview with a Danish Newspaper 9/23

Discussion in 'Video' started by SteveG3, Sep 27, 2015.

1. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

2. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

Thanks! General info, but love to watch any interview of Elon.

3. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

sure. while it was a general interview, it's apparent that this interview was the source of what a couple of media outlets used for sensationalized out of context headlines in the past couple of days, such as, "Big Car Companies out to Squash Tesla." Elon was asked about taking on such massive industries as the global automakers and big oil, and he said something along the lines of these large entities having their elbows out. I think the headline can give the false impression (quite possibly not by accident) that Elon was expressing concern about the potential new EVs revealed in Frankfurt a few weeks back.

4. ggies07

ggies07 Active Member

oh yeah, I made this connection as well when watching. I was like "wait a tick!"

5. Alfred

Alfred Member

Interesting interview. Good interviewer. At around 6.12 he asks Elon when 1000Km range will become possible. Elon expects that by 2017.

6. Mattias

Mattias Member

Also heard this, sounds interesting. Model 3? :)

7. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Elon was talking about max possible range (aka driving at 24mph) not real-world, every-day range. They were first talking about the distance record (over 500 miles at <25mph) and Elon just kept going with that idea. Classic, terribly misquotable Elon statement.

8. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Agree, very unfortunate that Elon's quote gets picked up by the media without putting what he said into context. Of course Elon doesn't help himself either. Later in the interview he said range would increase between 5 and 10% a year. First time I've heard him mention 10% which I'm sure his engineers enjoy hearing.

9. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

#9 Yggdrasill, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    He has mentioned 10% before, in this context:

The statement is sufficiently vague that anywhere between 2.5% to 10% average increase per year means the statement is accurate. He should maybe have tried to be a bit more careful in the phrasing this time around, I suspect that the above is what he meant to convey.