Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: "Just as my money was the first in, it will be the last out."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
Elon Musk (@elonmusk) tweeted at 10:35 PM on Tue, Jun 04, 2013:
"Forgot to say one thing at Tesla annual shareholders meeting: just as my money was the first in, it will be the last out."
(Twitter / elonmusk: Forgot to say one thing at ...)

I'm starting a separate thread for this specific tweet by Elon Musk because of its significance. What exactly does he mean, and what is its significance? Let's open it up for discussion.

I'm starting a separate thread for this specific tweet by Elon Musk because of its significance. What exactly does he mean, and what is its significance? Let's open it up for discussion.

It means that he's in for the long haul and not about to sell out for a quick buck. This is consistent with what he's implied, if not said outright, all along. It's also the reason why I think Tesla will succeed where others have failed.

In Tesla we have a founder, despite not identifying himself as a marketer, who is charismatic, has vision, and is willing to publicly defend his company when the time is right. Not many other companies out there are like this, and certainly very few (if any) car companies are like this. The only ones who come to mind are Oracle with Ellison, Netflix with Hastings, Amazon with Bezos, and Apple with Jobs.

Elon doesn't need the money (except maybe for a Mars launch), hell, I don't think he even wants it. He wants impact - the only point of the money is to make an impact. If he sells out to make several billion dollars and goes away on a yacht, he mushes into the background with others who have sold out - if he stays in it, he impacts human existence. What's more 'fun', changing the world or having a bunch of cash and watching others do it? OK, it can be rough changing the world. I, for one, am really happy that he is having more fun, he deserves it - all of us driving the cars and owning the stock are having the freakin' times of our lives!

Glad he said it, it's who he is, it's why we like him.

Em owns a significant amount of Tesla Motors stock. There was always the fear he might sell a significant amount to fund other ventures. Space X for instance. Hopefully this takes that fear (and overhang) off the stock. More institutions might be interested in buying in without this fear of significant insider selling.