Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Launches Neuralink to Connect Brains With Computers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lump

Mar 31, 2013
So. Cal.
The founder and chief executive of Tesla Inc.(TSLA) and Space Exploration Technologies Corp. has launched another company called Neuralink Corp., according to people familiar with the matter. Neuralink is pursuing what Mr. Musk calls "neural lace" technology, implanting tiny brain electrodes that may one day upload and download thoughts.

Elon Musk Launches Neuralink to Connect Brains With Computers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm... I guess Elon is struggling against his own limitations and desires to advance his own productivity. The solution? A company designed to advance human capabilities with cybernetics.

Have to admit, I sometimes crave enhancements to my metal capabilities. I'm just smart enough to think that I'm not smart enough. And I sometimes ponder if humanity should consider using what intelligence it has to manipulate and enhance our own evolution. If not our evolution, then perhaps cybernetic augmentation. Ultimately all just fiction. But sometimes rare, properly coordinated groups of individuals under the right circumstances figure out how to add some non to our imagined fictions.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Ahh, that's why Model 3 doesn't need a HUD! All the pertinent vehicle info will be fed directly to your brain. And this doesn't contradict his tweet that "Nothing majorly new that a consumer would notice" in regard to the Model 3 since this technology is not something that's displayed on the dashboard or windshield of the car for the occupants to notice.

Faraday Future claims their FF91 will be able to detect your mood by reading your facial expressions; this will enable Teslas to be able to read your thoughts directly. Elon has just upped the ante. Take that, Nick Sampson!

However, developing and integrating this nascent technology into the car definitely means Model 3 will be delayed at least 5 years!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: cdub and Krugerrand
Elon never seems to stop looking for new opportunities that show promise to solve critical problems relating to long term human survival. The "neural lace" idea fits right in. As a neurophysiologist I love thinking about the possibilities while acknowledgeding that the challenges are immense. But there is no reason not to start trying right now!

Elon never seems to stop looking for new opportunities that show promise to solve critical problems relating to long term human survival. The "neural lace" idea fits right in. As a neurophysiologist I love thinking about the possibilities while acknowledgeding that the challenges are immense. But there is no reason not to start trying right now!

That was a pleasantly positive response.

Until he has Nueralink baseball caps made...
I suspect they'll look something like this with the addition of a bill and a company logo (one size fits most):
1455299.jpg

• Funny
Elon Musk has launched a company dedicated to linking human brains with computers, The Wall Street Journal's Rolfe Winkler reported Monday.

Internal sources told The Journal that the company, called Neuralink, was developing "neural lace" technology that would allow people to communicate directly with machines without going through a physical interface. Neuralink was registered as a medical-research company in California in July.

Interesting. I remember Elon read the book Superintelligence and liked it. In that book, this approach (neurolace) falls under the category of cyborg and the author considers this might be the least likely path to superintelligence. Of course, Elon is also involved in AI, which the author deems the most likely path.

Somewhere in his packed schedule, he has found time to start a neuroscience company that plans to develop cranial computers, most likely to treat intractable brain diseases first, but later to help humanity avoid subjugation at the hands of intelligent machines

Clearly the plan is to make intelligent machines helpless with laughter.

• Funny
This seems an effort to organize Tesla owners into some sort of Borg collective. Musk is WAY ahead of schedule.
Elon Musk has launched a company dedicated to linking human brains with computers, The Wall Street Journal's Rolfe Winkler reported Monday.

Internal sources told The Journal that the company, called Neuralink, was developing "neural lace" technology that would allow people to communicate directly with machines without going through a physical interface. Neuralink was registered as a medical-research company in California in July.

I may be willing to pick up the model 3 from a tent.
But I am NOT undergoing experimental neurosurgery as part of the model 3 purchase experience.

• Funny
Reactions: cdub