Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Elon Musk Makes Texas His Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon Musk is now a Texan.

The Chief Executive of Tesla and SpaceX said in a Wall Street Journal interview that he has officially moved to the the Lone Star State.

“For myself, yes, I have moved to Texas,” Musk told WSJ.

Musk has plenty of business to oversee in Texas. SpaceX has a test facility in Boca Chica, Texas and Tesla is currently building a Gigafactory near Austin. He previously resided in California, where both companies are headquartered.

Still, Musk said his companies aren’t planning a full exit from California.

“Tesla and SpaceX obviously have mass operation in California,” Musk said. “In fact, it’s worth noting that Tesla is the last car company still manufacturing cars in California. SpaceX is the last aerospace company still doing significant aerospace manufacturing in California.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: drdumont
The one thing I can say about being in Los Angeles is there's a lot of nice higher end properties going pretty cheap (relative to LA) so I might need to pick up another place.

Yeah everyone is leaving CA but it's been that way for a decade plus. CA has a net loss of about -100K people annually.

And yes, a lot of people are making their move to Texas.

The one thing I can say about being in Los Angeles is there's a lot of nice higher end properties going pretty cheap (relative to LA) so I might need to pick up another place.

Yeah everyone is leaving CA but it's been that way for a decade plus. CA has a net loss of about -100K people annually.

And yes, a lot of people are making their move to Texas.
Not sure where you got that information, but it is wrong. Although CA's population growth has slowed dramatically compared to the 20th century (and I view this as a good thing), it is still growing and in fact has not had a net loss in population in any year since 1900:

California Population 1900-2019

• Informative
Reactions: Dave EV and msm859
Not sure where you got that information, but it is wrong. Although CA's population growth has slowed dramatically compared to the 20th century (and I view this as a good thing), it is still growing and in fact has not had a net loss in population in any year since 1900:

California Population 1900-2019

Perhaps I misspoke / out of content here. This is actually to what I was referring.

"According to the U.S. Census Bureau, it isn’t just the rich and famous who are leaving California. Every year for the past 15 years, about 100,000 more Californians leave the state than other Americans move in, with the most popular destination consistently Texas, 1,300 miles to the east."

State-to-State Migration Flows

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Perhaps I misspoke / out of content here. This is actually to what I was referring.

"According to the U.S. Census Bureau, it isn’t just the rich and famous who are leaving California. Every year for the past 15 years, about 100,000 more Californians leave the state than other Americans move in, with the most popular destination consistently Texas, 1,300 miles to the east."

State-to-State Migration Flows
Yeah, so a state-to-state migration flow appears to ignore immigration in calculating net population changes.

My thinking is that the quality coming off the Fremont production line will improve with Elon beating his drum in Texas.

He brags about sleeping near the production line... taking out the trash etc.

That's just silly window dressing for the media.

Smart CEO's have such a strong bench there should be no need for them to move and follow their new factories.

Austin - I really like your city - but you can have him.

Back in my previous career our Illinois based company was entering into a contract to provide call center technical support services for a company based in Orange County. We sent them a draft of the contract, and they sent it back with changes - one of which that it was to be incorporated under the laws of California.

Our company lawyer about had a stroke. He said that we would be better off having the contract under the laws of Afghanistan than the laws of California. The year - 1998.

Elon will have lots of company: Texas No.1 destination for companies leaving California for last 12 years

Elon could start out his day with an early morning launch in Florida, stop by Brownsville for brunch, do a flyover to view progress in Austin, on his way to a dinner meeting in Freemont and get a good nights rest in LA in order to be at Hawthorne first thing in the morning. This only matters as an FU to the California franchise tax board.

I seriously doubt that the 6th largest economy in the world is about to collapse.
I agree I don’t think it’s about to collapse but I do think it’s moving in the wrong direction. You can’t keep squeezing out the tax paying citizens and corporations and still think you’re on the right track.

Our company is also moving to Texas. And all the employees are coming with. That’s roughly 100 employees, a mere drop in the ocean, but still something.

California is our home, and it’s sad to see what it’s become.