Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Model S, Model X production continues for ‘sentimental reasons’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I equate Tesla's S/X attitude with Apple's attitude towards the Macintosh. The Mac is no longer the core money maker but they're going to continue making it because it's part of their roots. They're going to be making, and innovating, the S and X for quite some time. It's just that the 3, Y, truck, etc. are going to make the bulk of the automotive revenue.

I will buy a Model Y but I will also always want to have a sedan or coupe. Despite how good ( great really ) the Model 3 is the lack of a smart air suspension and the smaller size would sure slow me down from buying one. However, the way things are going by the time my Model S needs to be replaced the manufacturers may only be building trucks and SUVs.

It sounded like he back stepped a bit after saying that.

Then one of the other guys talked about how sales were significantly up on Model S/X in Q3
Then Elon started tooting how it's the longest range, fastest etc.

To keep some top of the line flagship car, in the long term, it might be simpler to beef up the Model Y, something very popular in China,
instead of refurbing the Model S with new batteries, dashboard, and air vents, based on the Model 3 design?
So one single assembly line to keep everything simple.

Last edited:
From the article:
Musk did take time to rave about the Model S, particularly the newer version, which has a new “Raven” power train. “It’s so easy to drive, it makes you feel like Superman driving that car,” he added. “And it’s incredibly safe.”​

Sounds like a pretty strong sentiment to me.

From the article:
Musk did take time to rave about the Model S, particularly the newer version, which has a new “Raven” power train. “It’s so easy to drive, it makes you feel like Superman driving that car,” he added. “And it’s incredibly safe.”​

Sounds like a pretty strong sentiment to me.
Suspiciously strong. Like he screwed up and went off script just prior.

Reactions: ZAKEEUS
Haha, probably a very limited batch. It sounds like his cash cow will be the Model Y, Model 3, Tesla Truck... Model S/X and the new Roadster may become low volume models
Doesnt S/X have higher margins? Or did at least before the cuts. I wouldnt mind if they increased the prices back and gave some premium features that dont involve hardware like priority service, free or high cap wifi/LTE, free supercharging, priority phone line, loaner

Doesnt S/X have higher margins? Or did at least before the cuts. I wouldnt mind if they increased the prices back and gave some premium features that dont involve hardware like priority service, free or high cap wifi/LTE, free supercharging, priority phone line, loaner
Not sure how long the higher margin will last. The S and especially the X are costly to build.
With each new model the manufacturing costs are getting lower and lower
For the old (dinosaur?) car makers, the top of the range is where the new development takes place before filtering down to the "lesser" cars.
But because Tesla is so tech oriented the real innovation is in the build process and making it more cost effective to make them.
However - Model S and X will always get the high end features either first or exclusively.
Who knows, maybe one update will put the Model Y type wiring in there or Model 3 type ventilation.

• Informative
Reactions: FreqFlyer
Here is what he fully says -
The Model S and X are really niche -- they're really niche products. I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume. To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future.

It really makes me think that they are not going to update the S and X in the near term. It's sad because the Model 3 has some really good seats, battery tech, sound system, etc...

Also, saw that he said
Yeah, might move the Model S range to almost 380 or high 370s with the update.

I listened to the call, it's all there. I would love to know what the unintelligible part was.
My bad: according to the transcript it was the questioner saying something.

Elon Musk

The Model S and X are really niche -- they're really niche products. I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume. To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future.

Pierre Ferragu

Okay. That makes sense. And then, my question...

Elon Musk

They're great cars. The Model S I think if you want -- I mean, the Model S literally won Motor Trend's best car ever in history by the way. I think if you're out there and you're buying -- and you're going to buy a Model S, I think you just made a mistake, to be totally frank. It's incredible, especially the new one with variable damping suspension, hospital operating room, HEPA filter for air purification, the raven powertrain.

It's the fastest car in the world, and it's just so easy to drive. It makes you feel like Superman driving that car. It's incredibly safe. It's just an amazing vehicle. And then, Model S, I think, is like Faberge egg of cars. I mean, not Model X. Model X is like the Faberge egg of cars. Yeah, that's why so many artists and musicians buy the car. It's an art piece basically.

Reactions: jerseygirl18