Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Model Y will outsell the Model S, X, and 3 COMBINED... really?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I totally believe it, given the nature of the crossover market.

Agreed. It is almost a no-brainer to go for a Y over a 3. The price differential is not exorbitant and you gain more space, optional seats, and usability. The Y covers a lot of middle ground that makes it appealing in the globally — relatively affordable and not overly big to fit in spaces.

I believe the MY will indeed be the best selling model. Now I don't know about selling more than all the others combined but it will for sure be the best seller at least until another model is released.

The crossover catagory is the strongest in the US. Tesla has the Model X which is priced too high for many buyers. The MY is the much more reasonably priced vehicle that meets this catagory. The type of vehicle it is and the cargo room are two big reasons. The 7 seater MY also ticks yet another box ...though I'm not convinced it would be good for anything other than younger kids. It has all the ingredients to do exactly what Elon says it will IMO.

The Y may outsell all the other models in the US. Not sure about China. I doubt it for Europe because it is too large. European garages are small and the parking spaces are small. Big American cars do not fit well. I suspect the model 3 will sell better in Europe. I know the Y isn't that large but I have to be more careful pulling it into my standard sized garage. It fits but it seems slightly tighter going through the doorway. I suspect that the Cybertruck will outsell the Y in the US, if the pre-order numbers are to be believed.
Question: Why do you think Tesla is launching Giga Berlin with Model Y instead of Model 3? The answer is obvious.

Another thing that became obvious to me is when we test drove a Model Y last summer, its sales would exceed Models S 3 X combined.

Picked up my M3 AWD Sep 2018 and love the car to death. The experience from the driver's seat is unmatched. The only thing that might make me give up this car is my Cybertruck order being ready, which won't happen for a long while.

Picked up my wife's Y 3 weeks ago. It beats the 3 from a passenger (not driver) standpoint, storage and many people strongly prefer the ride being higher off the ground (partially because that makes it easier to get in/out of. Having both cars and knowing the clear automotive trends globally, the Y is Tesla's most important vehicle. As much as I love my 3, for families, it is most suitable as a #2 car. As a primary car, the Y blows it away.

It's quite possible the CT will become Tesla's #1 seller in the U.S. in a few years. Only thing holding it back is the production ramp (which depends on scaling 4680 battery production).

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The Y may outsell all the other models in the US. Not sure about China.
Have you not seen the reports in China of the Model Y launch? Basically like 100+k units sold on first couple of days and they don't even have the SR model yet (nor the 7 seat). By the time they have SR it'll explode even more. A lot people in that market was waiting for a more practical and comfortable car than the Model 3, and are willing to pay a bit more for it.

I doubt it for Europe because it is too large. European garages are small and the parking spaces are small. Big American cars do not fit well. I suspect the model 3 will sell better in Europe. I know the Y isn't that large but I have to be more careful pulling it into my standard sized garage. It fits but it seems slightly tighter going through the doorway. I suspect that the Cybertruck will outsell the Y in the US, if the pre-order numbers are to be believed.
Yes, Model Y is a bit large for the European market, but the big difference is it has a hatch. Sedans like the Model 3 simply is not as popular there. Plus CUV/SUV sale are exploding there also.

Have you not seen the reports in China of the Model Y launch? Basically like 100+k units sold on first couple of days and they don't even have the SR model yet (nor the 7 seat). By the time they have SR it'll explode even more. A lot people in that market was waiting for a more practical and comfortable car than the Model 3, and are willing to pay a bit more for it.

Yes, Model Y is a bit large for the European market, but the big difference is it has a hatch. Sedans like the Model 3 simply is not as popular there. Plus CUV/SUV sale are exploding there also.

I am curious to see what the take rate will be in China for the 7-seat Y. I agree Y will be a monster seller globally, but Chinese families do not have many kids (due to the government’s decades long One-Child policy). However, many households over there are also multi-generational, so maybe there will still be demand for 7-seats. Time will tell.

I am curious to see what the take rate will be in China for the 7-seat Y. I agree Y will be a monster seller globally, but Chinese families do not have many kids (due to the government’s decades long One-Child policy). However, many households over there are also multi-generational, so maybe there will still be demand for 7-seats. Time will tell.
Minivans/MPVs are quite popular there, so actually the 7 seater may do well. As you point out they have many families that are multi-generational and even if not, it may be useful for occasions where you just need to transport more people even if not regularly (like in the US how it most likely will be used).

Having been in China, it's not unusual to sometimes see people squeeze 4 people into the back seat for short trips. The 7 seater would be a lot more comfortable than doing that. Also they have less options for large SUVs with 7 seats, so it may be filled by smaller cars. For example GM is releasing a 7 seat blazer for China exclusively:
Chevrolet unveils a 7-seat Blazer … for the Chinese market | Car News | Auto123

• Informative
Reactions: FatherTo1
I don't doubt that the Model Y will be a serious seller. Best seller? who knows. I'm seeing a ton on the roads around me, and as a fresh Y owner, I can understand Elon's confidence in it; it's a sexy, fun, storage capable, and shitty weather capable daily and long trip driver.

The Y may outsell all the other models in the US. Not sure about China. I doubt it for Europe because it is too large. European garages are small and the parking spaces are small. Big American cars do not fit well. I suspect the model 3 will sell better in Europe. I know the Y isn't that large but I have to be more careful pulling it into my standard sized garage. It fits but it seems slightly tighter going through the doorway. I suspect that the Cybertruck will outsell the Y in the US, if the pre-order numbers are to be believed.

The MY is wider than both my 2015 Subaru Outback and 2019 Camry Hybrid. I don't remember whether that included the mirrors or not when I measured.

That said, the only other one I could see buying would be the S. As an addition, not a replacement.

Opinion: I think the CyberTruck will be a colossal failure. The macho Ford/Chevy/Dodge wannabe cowboys won't be able to afford it.

Well the CyberTruck is going to sell as much, if not more than the MY, imo. Everyone wants SUV's and trucks. Ford F150's are the most popular new vehicle every year and many sell for what the CyberTrucks are going to sell for. It's going to get interesting real quick.

Well the CyberTruck is going to sell as much, if not more than the MY, imo. Everyone wants SUV's and trucks. Ford F150's are the most popular new vehicle every year and many sell for what the CyberTrucks are going to sell for. It's going to get interesting real quick.
Anybody here remember the Model Y reveal? The event itself was a dud and analysts blasted Elon for what a huge letdown it was. However, as time approached for Model Y deliveries to start and its capabilities became known, enthusiasm ramped and it's clear the car is a grand slam home run that will leave the 3 in the dust going forward. 2-3 years from now, it wouldn't surprise me if MY sales were near double M3.

Fast forward to the CT reveal. The reaction varied between muted and very negative. Over time, negativity has thawed and anticipation continues to grow. I have a feeling when final specs, features and capabilities of the CT are released, people will be blown away. F150s will look like weakfish and I expect CT to become #1 in the U.S. by 2025 or sooner.

Obviously the $25K Tesla will vault past everything. What a day that will be!

F150s will look like weakfish and I expect CT to become #1 in the U.S. by 2025 or sooner

Ohhh...I don't know. With the big three looking to electrify their trucks, I can see someone on the fence on what is a radical design with the CT, and the reliable and venerable F-150, for non-Tesla owners, most people may be inclined to go with what they know. In fact, I think most ICE truck owners will hold onto ICE until there are effectively no choices left.

Ohhh...I don't know. With the big three looking to electrify their trucks, I can see someone on the fence on what is a radical design with the CT, and the reliable and venerable F-150, for non-Tesla owners, most people may be inclined to go with what they know. In fact, I think most ICE truck owners will hold onto ICE until there are effectively no choices left.
The F-150 is the key to Ford's survival as an independent company. The CT will precede it by at least a year and if Ford can't come close on the specs and price, it's curtains for them. Diehards alone won't keep Ford afloat.

The CT is made to appeal beyond traditional pickup loyalists. It will create a new definition of "muscle" vehicle current pickups can't touch.

Also, the MY production got pulled in by ~6 months. I was expecting my LR in late 2020, but received it mid 2020. >100k deliveries in the US in less than 1 year of production.

I placed my order for the CT the morning after the reveal. I realized that it's what I wanted in a travel vehicle after seeing it. We'll see how it goes in the market, but I think it's going to be disruptive. The exterior is polarizing, but what's underneath must frighten their competitors.

Anybody here remember the Model Y reveal? The event itself was a dud and analysts blasted Elon for what a huge letdown it was. However, as time approached for Model Y deliveries to start and its capabilities became known, enthusiasm ramped and it's clear the car is a grand slam home run that will leave the 3 in the dust going forward. 2-3 years from now, it wouldn't surprise me if MY sales were near double M3.

Fast forward to the CT reveal. The reaction varied between muted and very negative. Over time, negativity has thawed and anticipation continues to grow. I have a feeling when final specs, features and capabilities of the CT are released, people will be blown away. F150s will look like weakfish and I expect CT to become #1 in the U.S. by 2025 or sooner.

Obviously the $25K Tesla will vault past everything. What a day that will be!

The F-150 is the key to Ford's survival as an independent company. The CT will precede it by at least a year and if Ford can't come close on the specs and price, it's curtains for them. Diehards alone won't keep Ford afloat.

The CT is made to appeal beyond traditional pickup loyalists. It will create a new definition of "muscle" vehicle current pickups can't touch.

Boy, you're so right about the F-150 being so central to Ford's sustainability. Sandy Munro talks about the issue the big three truck makers have. The CT is really a radical design, and as amazing as I think it looks and is, I think a lot of traditional truck buyers (most are just normal truck buyers, not EV enthusiasts) will just keep doing what they're doing. And EVs still aren't widely seen as superior to ICE trucks...yet... the word is spreading and I think the clock is ticking for those that don't get on board.

The Rivian skateboard platform which appears to be very good has the exact same wheelbase as the F150. It’s expected that a all electric 150 will follow the Rivian pickup by about one year. Ford is a major underwriter of Rivian and has access to the skateboard as a result.

Reactions: Impaler
I'm in TX, too. Teslas can't roll coal...HAHAHA!
Hah! But they could roal coil. I would propose an aftermarket Tesla coil that could be turned on to zap the hell out of any coal-rolling truck that dares to pull up next to a Tesla—a series of large, thick, purple lightening bolts converging on the truck and shutting down its electronics. We shall call that rolling coil, my friend!

Last edited: