Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: No Leasing program from Tesla in the first 12 Months (Q3 Financial Call)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that the lease on a Roadster is $1600+ per month, and that (if advertising is to be believed) you can lease at least three Mercedes for that price and have money left over for fuel, I was never really that hopeful about being able to lease the Model S in the first place.

But sure, if the lease option was there and at least came down into the three-figure range, it would open up for a whole new set of customers for them.

My 2 cents.

But sure, if the lease option was there and at least came down into the three-figure range, it would open up for a whole new set of customers for them.
For what level of Model S? 3-figure per month is pretty much guaranteed to be available with any normal car loan on a reasonably mid-range Model S. My credit union charges 3.49% on an 84 month loan, or almost exactly $1000 a month for $75k.

With today's loan rates, the number of people that can afford a Model S, but can only afford it with a lease, seems incredibly tiny. People might want a lease (though I'd argue it's bad economics), but I'm not sure a lease will open up anything significant in the way of a "whole new set of customers". I think Tesla is right in that they don't need a whole new set of customers right now anyway, they can afford to open up that market segment in 2013.

Last edited:
I was planning on leasing a 160M. My reservation number is 47XX which means I'll probably have to cancel and choose another car instead next year. I don't think I can wait 1 year after the Model S is released to wait to get mine.

I don't know. I've got a European P series and I was told I could choose whatever battery pack I wanted, and I should get my car in Q1 2013. That's the information I've gotten thus far, but I suppose theres plenty of room for adjustments until we get to launchtime in Norway. I still haven't seen the car or know anything about price in contrast to most US customers.

Cobos

I don't know. I've got a European P series and I was told I could choose whatever battery pack I wanted, and I should get my car in Q1 2013. That's the information I've gotten thus far, but I suppose theres plenty of room for adjustments until we get to launchtime in Norway. I still haven't seen the car or know anything about price in contrast to most US customers.

Cobos

Hope they get something to you soon, so that people can at least see in it person. Curious as to how they are going to manage the logistics of production for EU. Cars assembled in Fremont then shipped to Europe? Weren't the Roadsters assembled in UK for the European markets? (Alert: risk of going off-topic here!:wink:)

Very disappointed to hear that leasing will not be offered from the get-go on the Model S! :crying:

I think this is a major mistake...the ability to return this "technologically bleeding edge vehicle" (after the life of the lease) if it does not perform properly should not be underestimated!

I think this is a major mistake...the ability to return this "technologically bleeding edge vehicle" (after the life of the lease) if it does not perform properly should not be underestimated!
We already have lemon laws and Tesla will have a warranty. I can see how turning in the car after a lease would benefit you, but how does it help Tesla? Tesla is a business and isn't going to just throw away money. A lease has to provide a benefit to Tesla for them to offer one.

What you guy's seam to be missing is that Tesla doesn't need to lease for at least 12 month's if not a whole lot longer. Why add in any complexity in the early stages to move cars if you don't have to. Tesla as it stands has 6500+ reservations and it could conceivably be 8000-10,000 when production starts. So I get that you feel offended that Tesla doesn't care about you but I am sure if they get 10,000 reservations they will have enough cash or self financed buyer to satisfy demand for the first 12+ month's of production regardless of what your reservation number is.

I was told when I was in the NY store that Tesla feels with in the next 6 month's they will have filled the signature series and will be starting a list looking for potential people to back fill any sports that are vacated by anyone dropping out. What that say's is they feel they have plenty of customers with plenty of money and they don't need to worry about leasing or expanding the limited financing options they have for the first 12 months.

What you guy's seam to be missing is that Tesla doesn't need to lease for at least 12 month's if not a whole lot longer. Why add in any complexity in the early stages to move cars if you don't have to. Tesla as it stands has 6500+ reservations and it could conceivably be 8000-10,000 when production starts. So I get that you feel offended that Tesla doesn't care about you but I am sure if they get 10,000 reservations they will have enough cash or self financed buyer to satisfy demand for the first 12+ month's of production regardless of what your reservation number is.

I was told when I was in the NY store that Tesla feels with in the next 6 month's they will have filled the signature series and will be starting a list looking for potential people to back fill any sports that are vacated by anyone dropping out. What that say's is they feel they have plenty of customers with plenty of money and they don't need to worry about leasing or expanding the limited financing options they have for the first 12 months.

I think the concern is that Tesla might be assuming - maybe incorrectly? - that "all these reservations = everyone's buying"! Some of the 6500+ reservation holders might have actually been hoping to lease instead of actually buying. The question is how many?!

I think the concern is that Tesla might be assuming - maybe incorrectly? - that "all these reservations = everyone's buying"! Some of the 6500+ reservation holders might have actually been hoping to lease instead of actually buying. The question is how many?!
And how many would choose not to buy at all vs. get a loan?

There's often a confusing of demand vs. lost sales. Way back in the day I worked at a software company with a Windows product and we'd get asked all the time about an OS/2 product (yea, way back in the day). However, nearly every single customer that wanted OS/2 was willing to buy the Windows version anyway, so the lost sales for a lack of OS/2 was almost nil.

I suspect that's likely true with Tesla and leases amongst those with reservations, that most of the people asking for a lease aren't going to drop their sale, but will instead find an alternative financing option.

The problem would be that it doesn't appear that right now anyone in the U.S. is stepping up to the plate and offering an option to lease a Model S. At this point I wouldn't anticipate anyone will either. The market will determine what the true depreciation of a Model S will be. The first few used Model S's that hit the market will fetch a premium because you'll essentially be able to jump the line and get instant gratification. After that we will see what the true depreciation is going to be and then once Tesla has sold enough cars to those willing to pay in full we will see leases come into play. Tesla needs to make money and the only way they are going to do that is by selling cars out right not by holding leases and collecting monthly payments holding out to be paid in full at some future date. As a share holder I would be disappointed if Tesla was leasing cars before all of the cash/fully financed cars had been sold and they were caught up with demand. That money/profit is what is going to fund the development of the Model X and future products. It's business boy's sorry for the hurt feelings.