Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk on Stephen Colbert's Late Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I give Colbert 2 years at the most and he will be gone. It's the wrong venue for him.

I haven't watched Colbert much. But based on what I saw last night, I'd take the under on two years.

He was badgering poor Scarlett Johansson, and not letting her speak. I was extremely uncomfortable watching it. That bit with the hat? I'm not particularly funny, but I'm pretty sure I could come up with funnier stuff than that. The interview with Musk was also awkward, partially because Musk was uncomfortable, and partially because I think, again, based just on what I saw last night, Colbert is a lousy interviewer. It's his job to put the guests at ease, and he certainly did not do that with either of his guests last night.

People who knew nothing of Musk before last night who watched that interview would not necessarily come away from it with a great impression of him. He came off as a bit combative and a little ornery, and while you can blame Musk for a little of that, I actually blame Colbert for more of it. If word gets around to potential guests that instead of Colbert making them look good Colbert is going to make things uncomfortable for them, who's going to want to be a guest on his show?

If things don't change drastically, I think he's gone in well under two years.

I haven't watched Colbert much. But based on what I saw last night, I'd take the under on two years.

He was badgering poor Scarlett Johansson, and not letting her speak. I was extremely uncomfortable watching it. That bit with the hat? I'm not particularly funny, but I'm pretty sure I could come up with funnier stuff than that. The interview with Musk was also awkward, partially because Musk was uncomfortable, and partially because I think, again, based just on what I saw last night, Colbert is a lousy interviewer. It's his job to put the guests at ease, and he certainly did not do that with either of his guests last night.

People who knew nothing of Musk before last night who watched that interview would not necessarily come away from it with a great impression of him. He came off as a bit combative and a little ornery, and while you can blame Musk for a little of that, I actually blame Colbert for more of it. If word gets around to potential guests that instead of Colbert making them look good Colbert is going to make things uncomfortable for them, who's going to want to be a guest on his show?

If things don't change drastically, I think he's gone in well under two years.

I would agree, however in Colbert's defense with Scarlet, which I did not see....if you remember Fallon's first show he had De Niro on and that was so awkward because De Niro just sat there....not amused.....so I think the first two weeks will be awkward but I still do not think Colbert is right for this time slot and being this kind of a talk show host. He should never of left Comedy Central.

Colbert is still warming up to the new show, but I think he is doing pretty well. I think everyone was nervous being on the new show, and the audience understands that. Elon came off endearing, despite the apparent shyness on the show. Overall, I think it went pretty well.

Last edited:
I'll take the over on 2 years!

It's always going to be a rough start, and it will take a little time for people to get used to Colbert. At first I didn't think he was a good pick to take over Late Night, but after watching him for the first two shows, I think it will work just great and will be a long-term replacement for Letterman. What CBS doesn't want is a Fallon/Kimmel look-alike, and Colbert is very different from those two, which is why he'll succeed in this time slot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's better than Fallon (nobody is!), but he's *different* to capture a different audience/demographic/advertiser.

I've seen the first 2 episodes. It's pretty good. The interviews, however, are too short. The guests have very little time to actually say anything. Without making it a longer show on TV (if that's not an option), I would recommend either dropping to 1 guest a show or eliminating the musical performance (well, keep it for the live audience, but drop most of it from the TV broadcast, maybe introduce the musician and go to commercial as they start their performance).

I would take a bet that it will last more than 2 years.

Watching it now on DVR. Elon is lovably awkward, and I do wish he had more opportunity to speak. Small glimpse of his sense of humor with the comment about "not dropping anything on the floor" when in the presence of the snake charger prototype. Made me laugh. Superhuman brains, but completely human in every way.

I agree with Stephen constantly interrupting- talk less, listen more. Hope he grows into it.

I'm only echoing others comments: I did not find the interview very interesting. There were many things they could have talked about, and instead Colbert focused superficially on all the same topics that have been done before. I did not enjoy either of the first two shows, and will likely stop watching.

Last edited:
Not as bad as comments here would lead me to believe.

Interview was for the general public not Elon groupies or Tesla fanatics.

You need the Guest #1 spot for any meaningful interview.

Guest #2 is always a lightning fast superficial interview on late nigh talk shows.

Elon,so far, is not a big enough celebrity for even Colbert to book in #1 slot.

This is not Charlie Rose. It is what it is. This is what is like going after a mass audience.

Not much gain going on Rose or NPR. Most of that audience already knows about Musk,Tesla,SpaceX and Solar City.

I stayed up late to watch this then regretted that I did. It was boring. The fault was not Elon's but Colbert's. The questions were not very insightful and it seemed to me they hadn't been given much thought at all. A missed opportunity for sure. Elon could have been set up for some very funny and provocative statements. My sense was that Colbert and his staff did not do their homework.

Small glimpse of his sense of humor with the comment about "not dropping anything on the floor" when in the presence of the snake charger prototype. Made me laugh. Superhuman brains, but completely human in every way.

Likely this was probably not a spontaneous joke from Elon. Could have been his idea or handed to him by the show's writers. These shows typically are very rehearsed with prearranged topics to discuss, jokes etc and opportunity for editing prior to airtime.

Has Colbert been in the Celebrity owners thread before, or should he been added?

Yes. Colbert talked about owning his Tesla the last time he interviewed Elon on The Colbert Report.

The show is a little off for now. Colbert is growing into his Late Show persona, as opposed to his Colbert Report persona. For now he seems to be mostly playing his Colbert Report persona and trying to tone it down. Habits are hard to change and I can tell that he is struggling with it. He has a very quick mind and given time he could be a really good interviewer. He just needs to get out of the playfully antagonistic questioning.

It was a terrible interview.
Stephen is a very intelligent quick witted man.
Given the amount of time he had with the longer segments, it was embarrassingly bad and I see that as a journalist and fan. We learned nothing new and there was very little interesting except what Elon was able to say despite not being asked good questions.
"You're one of the CEOs of Tesla,". Really??

Yes. Colbert talked about owning his Tesla the last time he interviewed Elon on The Colbert Report.

The show is a little off for now. Colbert is growing into his Late Show persona, as opposed to his Colbert Report persona. For now he seems to be mostly playing his Colbert Report persona and trying to tone it down. Habits are hard to change and I can tell that he is struggling with it. He has a very quick mind and given time he could be a really good interviewer. He just needs to get out of the playfully antagonistic questioning.

He really needs a foil like a Paul Shaffer or something. Right now it seems to be the audience and it doesn't work.

Likely this was probably not a spontaneous joke from Elon. Could have been his idea or handed to him by the show's writers. These shows typically are very rehearsed with prearranged topics to discuss, jokes etc and opportunity for editing prior to airtime.
I suspect it is a Tesla joke that has been doing the rounds internally and Elon saw an opportunity to use it. Colbert seemed genuinely amused once he got the joke (and let Elon speak long enough to get it out). The point about a barge versus a ship was awkward and Colbert added to the impression of Elon being pedantic and slightly difficult rather than making it humorous. Can't help wondering if tesla questions were put off limits.

This show is definitely not hitting on all cylinders yet (archaic reference to an old pre-electric form of locomotion). Colbert definitely needs to figure out his interviewing style as all four interviews so far have been fairly poor. There is a real balance to be struck with interviews and the styles are fairly different between different hosts. As others have said, Colbert is struggling to find his new style.

I frankly would not predict anything at this point as the longevity ( or not) of any network show is still a complete mystery to me regardless of the quality. I do remember Fallon's first shows seeming really awkward and weak until Fallon established what worked and hit his stride. I still find Fallon's guest fawning awkward but he has clearly found a working combination. Hope Colbert finds his groove.

I just watched the clip with Elon in it. Although I know Colbert reasonably well from the Report and interviews on Fresh Air (NPR) haven't seen anything else from his new show. Yes he sometimes spoke too quickly when Elon paused, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Late night show interviews are not the place to go to gain deep insight into the minds of the guests.
It seems clear to me that Elon has read the Red/Green/Blue Mars trilogy. I love it that he believes in terraforming Mars.