TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk on the simpsons

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by evme, Jul 26, 2014.

1. evme

evme Member

#1 evme, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

[MR. BURNS] Excellent. [/MR. BURNS]

3. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

[MR. BURNS] Release the hounds! [/MR. BURNS]

Can't wait to see this one. The Model S in South Park was also hilarious :)

4. evme

evme Member

5. TI Sailor

TI Sailor Member

"The Musk who fell from Earth" episode is scheduled for next Sunday (1/25/15) according to TWC guide.

6. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

Awesome! I looked at the Comcast channel listings a week ago and didn't see it in the guide. Figured it was too far into the future (knew it was supposed to be in January tho).

Been waiting for this since last summer! Hopefully it's a more faithful Elon rendition than the South Park one.

7. Bulletproof

Bulletproof Vendor

Hawthorne, CA adjacent to the Supercharger & Desig
    As a longtime Simpsons fan, I'm very excited for the episode! It's nice to see Elon taking the time to do something fun like this.

8. swaltner

swaltner Member

#9 swaltner, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Lisa Simpson: "Hrmmm... For a man who likes electric cars, he sure burns a lot of rocket fuel." :)

Edit: corrected quote from Maggie -> Lisa

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Elon has said many times something to the effect of "All transportation will eventually go electric with the ironic exception of rockets".

10. essaunders

essaunders Member

If your quote is true, that would be the first full sentence uttered by Maggie.

It's Lisa's quote... and a very apt observation.

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

SpaceX could burn hydrogen and oxygen manufactured from renewable sources if they wanted. Crazy for the world's cars but feasible for any rocket launch rate.

He burns a lot of jet fuel too.

12. swaltner

swaltner Member

Whoops, I got the two character names confused. it's been a while since I've watch The Simpson's. I've corrected the original post.

13. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

14. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

Elon Musk on the Simpsons - please merge

Ugh, since no one else is saying it: They simpsons episode with Elon was regrettable in many, many ways. The gag was that he is a futurist genius and kind of an emotionless robot. He joins up with Mr. Burns to implement some wacky ideas to save the planet. (the hyperloop was played for laughs several times, as in this is a terrible idea lets make fun of it). And the big payoff was a corporate meeting where Elon explains that they are losing 50 million a quarter, but its ok because they are saving the planet. Ugh.

I don't think that it matters, or that this episode is hugely influential. But I am disappointed in the thought process where Elon wouldn't say "Lets maybe not say that. People already think that is true of Tesla, and I am fighting that perception every day."). But no, he has actual lines spoken at a podium where he says that. And it doesn't play as farce, but more like we should consider that ok because isn't saving the planet more important? A casual viewer might think that Tesla must be unprofitable and living off of handouts on a mission to save the earth and makes no business sense.

There were no Model S appearances, they did do quite a bit on electric self-driving cars (looked like Volts). Basically everyone drinks and drives (realistic application).

Glad the market is up.

15. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

That actually was Elon voicing his own character in the TV cartoon play. So he knew what was written in the script and went along with the gags.

16. Familial Rhino

Familial Rhino Endangerous Herbivore

This is a review in which the author complains that the episode was too deferential to Musk (I haven't seen it).

17. austinEV

austinEV Active Member

I know it was really him, that is why I am disappointed he went along with it. If it was just farce directed at him that is different.

I can see why someone would think it was deferential (all guest spots are a little kiss-up) but really he was played as an out of touch fool whose ideas and judgment were poor.

18. Subhuman

Subhuman Member

IMO the episode was a play on how the media portrays American's view of green innovation. The only people that will take the show at face value are the same people that support the views portrayed in the show.