Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

elon musk, please bring back the 40kwh car!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they will bring it back when the "Model E" comes out, if and only if that 40kw still has better range than any other EV on the market.

The E and S could start at 40kw, close the gap on pricing with other EVs on the market and still boast better range. Tesla would have to sell a lot of 40kw batteries to make it worth it, that's why I'm think the E is a must before they possibly go into an S.

A Tesla the size of a Leaf (or bigger) with 150 mile of range in most conditions and a price tag in the base $30k range would be a huge seller for city drivers. It will be interesting to see what Tesla decides to do with the E. Looking forward to it.

The Gen III car thats supposed to be $35k, 200 mile range in 2015-2017 has a queue of people waiting for it that stretches two laps around the earth.
If you have a short commute there are cheaper EV-alternatives like the leaf, bmw i3, fiat 500e etc. that might work for you.
Some people get good deals from Tesla stores buying used cars, but they dont get advertised so you have to call and check what they got.
Wish you good luck but I dont think they will bring back the 40 kwh Model S.

If they had the 40 KW car, there's the possibility it would be too close in price and range to the Gen III when it comes out. As it stands they could kinda just come out with a slightly modified 40, call it the Gen III, and still sell a bunch.

Hi All, I just want to say.. I want to buy the 40kwh car. elon.. do you hear me? 60kwh is too expensive for me.. my daily commute is about 30mi total..
40kWh Model S is not going to happen (as tech progresses, it'll ensure that the capacity will only move up, not down). Like others are saying, if you want a 40kWh car, it's going to have to be a Gen III, and you will have to wait like the rest of us.

If you are that price sesitive, your best bet is to find a used 40, or even a used 60. There will be more on the market in the next few years and you should be able to get one for $10k less than a new 60kWh model.

Hi All, I just want to say.. I want to buy the 40kwh car. elon.. do you hear me? 60kwh is too expensive for me.. my daily commute is about 30mi total..

You are one of a very small handful of people that want a 40 KWH car, which is why they stopped making them and honored existing orders by giving them 60 kwh cars software limited.

The 40KWH is a Unicorn my friend.

I think TM has learned their lesson on cars that can't reach superchargers so I'd assume that all variants going forward will have enough range to make the current layout of superchargers going forward.

If you can hit $60k territory (original price of 40 kwh, before rebate, with a couple of options) perhaps you could squeeze into a Roadster instead?

Maybe not as flashy or new (cough), but kinda a cool ride.:cool:

Thanks everyone for bringing me back to earth.. Currently, I am comfortable to purchase a car for around 65k+ (tax included).. but to get 60kwh, I would need to spend around 80k+ (sales tax included; before federal tax credits).. and this is for a basic car.. meaning just base 60kwh with metallic color option and parcel shelf.. it's about 72k before tax.. so I am looking at around 80k with sale tax (Before tax credits). It would be great for me to purchase the 40kwh car now and UNLOCK to the 60kwh and super charger later.. it's like getting a loan from tesla with the interest for that $12k.. anyhow... I am just still dreaming..

I would have had one too BUT only if I could have it with the SuperCharger (SC) port. As it is (was) the 40 version didn't come with the SC port. This seems daft to me. If generally you can put up with the lower range of the 40 - and don't want to pay (thanks v much) all that extra money for the 60, let alone the 80, wouldn't it make sense to be bake to do a rare long trip by relying on being able to SC the car - albeit every 100 miles or so? No brainer to me. Never mind. I'll have to put up with an i-Miev then!

Thanks everyone for bringing me back to earth.. Currently, I am comfortable to purchase a car for around 65k+ (tax included).. but to get 60kwh, I would need to spend around 80k+ (sales tax included; before federal tax credits).. and this is for a basic car.. meaning just base 60kwh with metallic color option and parcel shelf.. it's about 72k before tax.. so I am looking at around 80k with sale tax (Before tax credits). It would be great for me to purchase the 40kwh car now and UNLOCK to the 60kwh and super charger later.. it's like getting a loan from tesla with the interest for that $12k.. anyhow... I am just still dreaming..

I think you need to ask yourself this question. Is your purchasing limit 65k for a car? or 65k for an EV?

The reason this is important is assuming you plan to finance, are you factoring in savings on fuel and oil changes in the monthly payments?

The problem with the 40 is that it is too expensive to be so range limited and no supercharging. There is a big hole in the marketplace between the Leaf and the S. That hole will get filled with a 40 kwh car but it will be priced accordingly.

For a while, I wanted a 40. It could make it to our beach house which would have been crucial but it probably (range never really available) would have been a stretch- it is 135 miles. I could have done it but would have really needed to watch speed in the winter and then every year it would become more of a stretch with battery degradation. So then I did the mental battery creep up to 85 which almost everyone does.

The fact is that if you can afford a 65k car, then you can usually afford a 80k car - that will eliminate range worries, be faster, and has a battery that will literally last twice as long (really even more than twice as long)

My biggest mistake was not buying a 40 when I could. After driving my volt for 16 months, and realizing that I never took it on a round trip out of the 40's range, I really wish I had kept my reservation and bought a 40. On a similar note, if anyone has a 40 they want to sell me for $50k (give or take a little bit depending on options) please instant message me, I would love to talk to you.

There are several reasons why less than 4% of reservation holders selected the 40. A few are :

1. When it came time to finalize, the EPA numbers for the 40 had not been released yet. There was a very real concern that it would have less than 100 miles range in standard charge mode, and as a result, many people (myself included) where waiting to finalize until we had data to prove that it would meet our needs.
2. The 40 was targeting people who either could not would would not spend the money on a 60 or 85. The people were, by nature of the fact that they were more fiscally constrained, less likely to front the $5,000 for a car that was more than a year away from delivery. In fact, the shipping date for the 40 was not revealed until after the 40 was canceled.
3. No trade-ins in most areas. As stated above, most 40 owners would be more fiscally constrained. With the uncertain delivery date, a 40 buyer could not simply sell their existing car and put the money into their 40. This cut into their available down payment, and made financing much more difficult.

I am a firm believer that if the 40 was re-introduced today, it would sell very well, even if it actually had only a 40 kWh pack, and no super charging hardware. I think it might even end up being the best selling version of the Model S. Now, of course, tesla is production limited, not demand limited, so it would make no sense for them to produce cheaper, lower margin cars, but if they ever are in a position where they have excess production capacity, they really should consider bringing it back.

The Gen III car thats supposed to be $35k, 200 mile range in 2015-2017 has a queue of people waiting for it that stretches two laps around the earth.
If you have a short commute there are cheaper EV-alternatives like the leaf, bmw i3, fiat 500e etc. that might work for you.
Some people get good deals from Tesla stores buying used cars, but they dont get advertised so you have to call and check what they got.
Wish you good luck but I dont think they will bring back the 40 kwh Model S.

If Gen3 is 20-30% lighter, then a 40kWh would get you most of the range of a 60 kWh Model S. So it's actually very likely they'll have a 40-50 kwh battery size as the entry level

I feel they don't need a gen3. Just the 40kWh with optional supercharging. A 40kWh would work for me if it could supercharge. Also If it was a software locked 60kWh battery that I could pay for later that would be all the better. The "smaller" gen3 depending on how much smaller just won't work for me. My LEAF is too tight of fit and my prius is ok. the Model S would be a very nice fit with growing room.