Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk, please STFU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But we retail shareholders who hold TSLA shares with our hard-earned savings, hard-earned because after we work our asses to pay for our amazing Model S, X, 3 or even roadster, the little pocket money left we can spare, we choose to buy TSLA to make a statement, we choose TSLA because it is a vote of confidence in their mission. We often buy ideologically, sometimes even if we cannot afford it. And this behavior, Elon, is a disrespect to all of us.

"Little boys throw stones at frogs in play, but the frogs die in earnest."
Robin

OP nailed it. And if people really loved EM as much as they say, they'd start seeing him for what he CURRENTLY is: A man with mental heath issues (likely brought on by stress and sleep deprivation) who needs professional help. Otherwise the EM fandom is at risk of following him off the cliff. And then no one wins. (let the "Disagrees" start piling up, thank you.)

You mean post #9? Lol.

I am TSLA long.

I know why I invested in TSLA. I am as much a believer as anyone in Tesla's mission, I believe Elon Musk is a genius like we haven't seen in a long time, a completely different breed of entrepreneur who is unbelievably impervious to risk, which makes him particularly well-suited to undertake Tesla's perilous mission of bringing the EV to the masses in the face of the powers that be.

What once used to pull a smile from me, has turned into an occasional roll of the eyes thinking how these geeks at Tesla sure don't take themselves too seriously. I now take issue with Elon's bravado. It has become old, immature and counterproductive plain and simple. It is disheartening to see poorly thought out tweets and actions that immediately reflect poorly on Tesla's reputation in such a decisive time and becomes instantly fast food for short trolls. It is a lack of consideration for us TSLA investors. Not the insiders. Not even Wall Street's self righteous trolls (not getting into the ''is this behavior worthy of a CEO'' argument- it's beside the point).

But we retail shareholders who hold TSLA shares with our hard-earned savings, hard-earned because after we work our asses to pay for our amazing Model S, X, 3 or even roadster, the little pocket money left we can spare, we choose to buy TSLA to make a statement, we choose TSLA because it is a vote of confidence in their mission. We often buy ideologically, sometimes even if we cannot afford it. And this behavior, Elon, is a disrespect to all of us.

Not only this situation is avoidable, it is EASILY avoidable with common sense and fair judgment. Everyone understands you are very sore, Elon, about the shorts and that is a shared sentiment be assured. However, now is time to rise above and show leadership. The insults and immature tweets are not helping in any conceivable way. They are not helping change the world for better. I actually wonder how a brilliant person like you Elon, fail to grasp the basic principle that you don't feed the trolls.

Elon, get down from your high horse, take a step back and reflect on those people supporting you. Show some respect. Work hard for Tesla, your employees, your customers and your investors. We believe and will continue to believe.

So STFU Elon, you're the damned dumbest smart kid I know.

What do you think of us all tweeting him to STFU at a coordinated time? My M3 is tied to stock/options. I think that dream is dead now. Friendly fire is the worst way to go...

Reactions: lakefiller
There seems to be an assumption that tweets like this are only harming short term price.

That's wildly incorrect when the reality is that Elon is losing credibility.

He needs to focus on rebuilding his credibility so that he can lead Tesla through the challenges that are ahead.

Bingo. I think you are right. This is no longer just chatter among the fan base and the "in crowd" and the investors, as it might have been a year or two ago. The general public now reads about this crap every day in the daily papers. Everyone I talk with now knows about Elon's antics. That will affect Tesla's reputation as well as Elon's.

I think it would be interesting to assign an average value to the stock drop every time he tweets. Say 8 to 12 bucks per tweet, 3 to 4 bone head tweets per month, stock should be at 100 within three months. Bloody shame to watch it go down in flames so needlessly.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
I think it would be interesting to assign an average value to the stock drop every time he tweets. Say 8 to 12 bucks per tweet, 3 to 4 bone head tweets per month, stock should be at 100 within three months. Bloody shame to watch it go down in flames so needlessly.

I think people are focusing on the wrong things. Prices in the stock market are based on discounted cash flow analysis, as estimated primarily by large institutional investors or by professional analysts whose research they read. Tesla stock is highly risky and uncertain and hence highly volatile because the company has both negative cash flow and a high revenue growth rate. That makes future discounted cash flow hard to estimate.

Volatility is largely random — just money moving around the financial markets — but day traders, high-frequency trading algorithms, momentum investors, and other speculators, plus large fund managers trying to look busy (there is academic research to support this) and mercurial amateur retail investors can all also react to news, in many cases largely or entirely based on an expectation of how other people will react to news. This is only very loosely connected to discounted cash flow analysis.

Money moving randomly around the stock market and trading volume caused by people trading for semi-arbitrary reasons creates short-term fluctuations in stock price that ultimately just don’t matter if you are holding a stock long-term (i.e. 5+ years) in the hopes that the company’s objective success and resultant cash flow will drive the stock price up.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Ok Tesla was the most But no longer -it looks like big companies are shorted as a Matter of course? I’m no expert but Tesla are in good company. Tim Cook is a solid businessman with a steady hand on the rudder of Apple. I love what Elon Musk has achieved but he’s risking throwing it all away .
Intriguing to see this topic revived after 3+ years. I agree with the premise that there's little further upside for
Musk to jabber on (or about) Twitter, even if his recent logorrhea was meant to jumpstart native Texans in getting their gunracks ready for the Cybertruck.

I'd like to stir things up in the opposite direction as a San Francisco native (we are 90%+ democrats here)...
Tim Cook is the ideal steady focussed CEO. And he's in the "party of kindness" (relative to the wholly execrable
obstructionist faux victimhood of the GOP) that cares a rather bit more about social needs like health care,
education, pollution, etc. Cook's messaging on behalf of Apple (caring about privacy, pro-LGBTQ+ stance, public donations to good causes, company inclusivity, commitment to carbon neutrality etc.) are also shared by Tesla-the-company
to a large extent, but Cook is far more mature as a spokesperson.

As a Tesla driver and shareholder off-and-on since the IPO, however, I'm holding my nose at Musk's
libertarian randomness. No reason to buy an Apple car just yet! But as an Apple shareholder sitting
on 100-bagger too, I feel much more secure in staying the course through thick and through thin, simply
due to the relative sincerity and consistency of the two CEOs.

Reactions: Brn2Run
showing very little empathy for Tesla retail stock investors. See the correlation with solid tesla fundamentals and company performance + Elon Shutting TFU and not attending Q end telecons = stock maintains or up. If Elon does the opposite...well look at the last 3 months. Not saying tesla should still over $1000 but anything below $800 is a direct outcome of Elon's action in the media and selling TSLA by the billions for twatter

Reactions: Brn2Run
Elon should step down as CEO, he looks tired. And he doesnt think rules are for him anymore, that can hurt the company bad.

If he didnt do this Twittershit, they could have started building the Cybertruck line, or the Roadster line. Too bad he is sooo busy staying in the spotlight, thats what is most important to him.

Aside from TWTR being a subpar business operation, the number of instances of manipulating news content is disturbing and extreme execs/managers on audio/video supporting the practice backs it all up. Just another disgusting NorCal $%^ show long overdue for correction. It's amazing how easy the left wing inmates were able to take over the asylum. For sure Musk has been hanging it all on the line but no one else has been willing so good for Elon. Hopefully he plans to move TWTR out of California.