TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk Q&A at Reddit.com. Submit question by 5pm Sept 19th

Discussion in 'News' started by Fr23shjive, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

With Roadsters soon coming out of warranty, will Tesla release the car's repair manual so shops outside Tesla's and DIY owners can order parts and do simple repairs?

3. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

I suggest you sign up at reddit and submit the question your self. I supplied a link so you can submit your questions.

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#4 TEG, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    We are probably asking questions to thin air since this isn't the Reddit site where questions are supposed to go.

The Secret Tesla Motors Master Plan (just between you and me) | Blog | Tesla Motors
    What is meant by "low cost family car?" I am waiting for the "Tesla Master Plan" to come together so I can afford one.

5. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Are you kidding?

This is from a presentation posted on Tesla's website on Aug 23rd, 2011:
    http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/1142465437x0x494001/dd297293-ec2d-4dc5-8db4-63d491fb6bd0/Company_Overview_Q3_2011.pdf

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#6 TEG, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
    I wouldn't have mentioned that, but VFX had been throwing doubts about "Gen 3" over here:
    Haters gonna hate
    "Master Plan" was presented in 2006, so we are already 5 years in. I thought "BlueStar" would be here by now. Maybe I should rephrase:
    Given:
    Can it be any more specific than TBD? ... "Within 3 years?" ... "Sometime this decade?"

7. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

At the end of 2012, when producing Model S has become business as usual, Tesla will probably be in a much better position to answer this question... :)

8. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

9. Fr23shjive

Fr23shjive Member

I'll post the video or a link when its available.

10. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Elon has mentioned 2015 in a couple interviews as his target for the Gen3 car. He said on the recent conference call that "we need to learn to do more than one thing at a time" when asked if the Model X etc. would push back the Gen3 car.

I expect that they are already working on it and will give us a peak at the end of 2013, but that's totally just speculation.

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Nope.

12. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

My understanding/speculation was that working on more than one thing at a time, would come only after Model S is successfully launched, except for the (design-) work on Model X. If work on Model X started more or less this year, it seems the schedule is a bit less than 3 years for completion. For Bluestar it might take more since it will be a new (smaller) platform, nevertheless I'd expect a lot of Model S/X technology, if a bit downsized and updated, will make it into Bluestar.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I'm certainly hoping for a 300 mile range in the low priced model.

14. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Here is hope. It all depends if by 2015 anybody will see a sub-300 mile range as practical. Downsizing everything from Model S to 50% just wouldn't be a viable car today - as long as you cannot downsize the occupants from well-fed Caucasian 250lbs to meager 120lbs pick-your-correct-ethnic.
    My guesses are, Tesla will stick to 160 miles as a minimum range. By 2015, all cars derived from the Model S "skateboard" platform will have 230 miles as the base pack size.

15. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Gen3 needs to keep the price down. True 160 mile range could be acceptable to a lot if they need to go that low to keep the price point.
    If they have a good QC solution, and we get QCs in important places the 160 mile range wouldn't be too much of a problem.
    Sure 300 mile range would be nice, but not if it makes the car cost too much. Plus if they use the Model S cells, there would be less room in a smaller Gen3, so they may not be able to get the same pack capacity.

16. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

17. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Elon says 'Tezzla'. Not 'tessla'.

18. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Video says bluestar gen 3 in 4 or 5 years (2015 or 2016)

And he does say Tessla sometimes but Tezzla more.

19. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

That's his accent. He's from South Africa and so he says some things like they do in the UK. If you've ever watched the Top Gear episode on Tesla you'll notice they all say the 's' as 'z' as well. Just like they say Nissan with a short 'i' sound among many other pronunciation differences.

20. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Right. I was just pointing out that the company's CEO was pronouncing it with the zz sound. We've been discussing proper pronunciation of Tesla. I think Elon's version carries some weight. Just my opinion.