Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk Reveals Tesla Model Y Production Ramp Up Problem - Electrek Article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they have a quality control system in place, it needs a severe makeover. A final inspection should not allow the majority of these defects to pass through and allow shipment. I'd be curious what an ISO auditor would find in their policy manual versus what is being implemented on the production floor.

Tesla is not ISO 9001:2015 registered or compliant. I'm not convinced Elon knows what it is. Many people unfamiliar with modern manufacturing assume quality control is a cost center not a profit center. This is why Tesla does not have a true Quality Management System in place.

Yes, there is some BS embedded in the 2015 spec such as the move away from preventative action and the requirement for paperwork redundancy without mfr/qc equipment/staff redundancy. However, having a system of continuous improvement using QC metrics is cheaper in the long run and increases repeat sales. Look at the US auto industry. Their quality is very good now, but they are still suffering under the burden of poor past quality perception. This will be Tesla's legacy in the future if they don't apply modern QC.

Reactions: pt19713
Tesla is not ISO 9001:2015 registered or compliant. I'm not convinced Elon knows what it is. Many people unfamiliar with modern manufacturing assume quality control is a cost center not a profit center. This is why Tesla does not have a true Quality Management System in place.
I can only imagine how much waste and inefficiency they could remove/eliminate by implementing a proper quality system. No wonder they couldn't generate positive cash for so many years....

I should send Elon a copy of Dr Deming's book lol the American who showed the Japanese how to make their automotive process better.

Reactions: MXLRplus
If they have a quality control system in place, it needs a severe makeover. A final inspection should not allow the majority of these defects to pass through and allow shipment. I'd be curious what an ISO auditor would find in their policy manual versus what is being implemented on the production floor.

Gosh, can you imagine what NCR's they'd find and how long that audit would take several auditors?

Reactions: pt19713
Gosh, can you imagine what NCR's they'd find and how long that audit would take several auditors?
I can imagine quality engineers coming in on a Saturday and "time stamping" documentation a few days before an ISO auditor arrives on site.

Not that I've worked for companies that have done this, or closed out 20-30+ NCR that have been lingering for 11 months.

But really, the lack of a proper total quality management system is apparent. I don't know the ins and outs of Tesla manufacturing, but for the ongoing problems over the past few years, most other companies would tolerant so many repeatable offenses. They're literally burning cash addressing the symptoms and not fixing the root cause. I know I frustrate upper management by asking "why why why why" in meetings. It's easy to point the finger and blame a particular functional area, but ask enough questions and you'll eventually find out why there's a failure in the process. Tesla isn't addressing the root cause, so they'll continue to burn money on labor to fix the issues after-the-fact instead of preventing them from reoccurring.

I can imagine quality engineers coming in on a Saturday and "time stamping" documentation a few days before an ISO auditor arrives on site.

Not that I've worked for companies that have done this, or closed out 20-30+ NCR that have been lingering for 11 months.

But really, the lack of a proper total quality management system is apparent. I don't know the ins and outs of Tesla manufacturing, but for the ongoing problems over the past few years, most other companies would tolerant so many repeatable offenses. They're literally burning cash addressing the symptoms and not fixing the root cause. I know I frustrate upper management by asking "why why why why" in meetings. It's easy to point the finger and blame a particular functional area, but ask enough questions and you'll eventually find out why there's a failure in the process. Tesla isn't addressing the root cause, so they'll continue to burn money on labor to fix the issues after-the-fact instead of preventing them from reoccurring.

My detailer mostly works on new McLarens coming from the factory and going to the local dealer here in the UK. Whenever I visit him he invariably has a different new McLaren sitting there while he spends time correcting issues, some of which are very obvious and quite shocking when you consider these cars are virtually hand made and start at $171k. The same goes for Ferraris, Aston Martins, Porsches etc. he works on. I've seen plenty of brand new £200k supercars with paint defects, mis-aligned panels, badly fitted trim etc etc.

I'd say these days it is probably impossible to expect any car maker to QA their products to the level most consumers expect. There has to be some degree of 'rectification' once it's left the factory. With a direct sales model like Tesla's, that's not going to be easy unless they set up some sort of QA staging post at the service centres, but right now they don't have the space or the people to cope with that.

There's no simple answer and even if the factories were churning out perfect cars, there's still plenty of opportunity for things to go wrong during the transportation and delivery part of the process, which is why it actually makes more sense not to try and do it at the factory in any case.

Reactions: Kelr316
I am surprised that anyone is surprised by this. I learned a long time ago you never buy any Tesla until at least a 20K VIN.
I guess that doesn't explain our 138x Model 3 being pretty much perfect other than paint overspray on the windshield and one tiny scratch on door trim, both addressed promptly.

This is the problem with generalizations, especially when selection bias will have those with complaints to post and those who have none too busy enjoying their cars to post.

If tesla is going to continue to churn out cars that have substantial defects that can be fixed but not addressed at the factory, they’re going to need to equip their sales centers to handle fixing the issues or give them the authority to reject the vehicle. It seems like some of the centers just get the cars in clean them up and deliver them without really going over and checking if there are any concerns. Ultimately you do not want the cars leaving the factory with issues but it would make a huge difference if they could be fixed prior to the car being delivered to the customer. There are a few vehicles I’ve seen on this site and FB that I have no idea how they got out of the factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude
If tesla is going to continue to churn out cars that have substantial defects that can be fixed but not addressed at the factory, they’re going to need to equip their sales centers to handle fixing the issues or give them the authority to reject the vehicle. It seems like some of the centers just get the cars in clean them up and deliver them without really going over and checking if there are any concerns. Ultimately you do not want the cars leaving the factory with issues but it would make a huge difference if they could be fixed prior to the car being delivered to the customer. There are a few vehicles I’ve seen on this site and FB that I have no idea how they got out of the factory.
As long as people keep accepting them, they're not going to "need" to do anything.

Jeeps have had a shitty ride and shitty reliability for 30 years.

We're reading, with some regularity, about deliveries being delayed due to issues found at the delivery center prior to customer pickup. Obviously, some delivery centers are going to be better than others, as are the individuals inspecting the cars. It's a fine line to walk because if you look at any car long enough, you can find reason for rejection.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Has the drivers rear door been repainted? The paint on that door especially is awful. I have seen smoother pain on a tractor.

I don’t think the paint looks that bad. It’s just scratched/dinged in a few of those places I mention. I don’t mind... and I wouldn’t have even complained about the door misalignment that much... I like the design and feel of Tesla’s that much... but I agree with people who say if you don’t hold them accountable they’ll never fix there issues.

I’m over the 100 miles already so the paint issues are what they are, otherwise I would bitch about them, just to hold Tesla accountable, for the companies own good.

The paint is good from far but far from good...

If I return it, could I order another one without FSD??? Or would I need to wait a year?

It’s too late to return it. You can still schedule a service request in the app for stuff to be done.

no, that’s incorrect. You can return it but they won’t fix paint after 100 miles.

you can reject delivery, and get a different car. That can only be done while it is there.

then you have have 100 miles to fix the paint.

then you have 7 days or some miles (I think it’s 1000) to return it. If you return it you can’t reorder the same configuration for a year.

Last edited:
Reactions: firerock
no, that’s incorrect. You can return it but they won’t fix paint after 100 miles.

you can reject delivery, and get a different car. That can only be done while it is there.

then you have 7 days or some miles (I think it’s 1000) to return it. If you return it you can’t reorder the same configuration for a year.

Not how they explained it to me. They said the 7 day/1000mi is gone. If I had to drive 133miles home then you bet your ass I’d be inspecting it there on the spot just so I don’t have to drive 133miles back later.

Our Model Y has more than a few issues but Tesla in Las Vegas has a small body shop that can do some stuff and it’s only 17miles from the house.

I'm not going to debate if you were properly informed or misinformed.

But speaking from my experience.. I scheduled mine for service due to uneven paint work. Long story short, after dropping it off at 700 plus miles on the odometer with over one month of ownership, Tesla replaced and repainted all door panels. It took more than two weeks with two series of paint correction by Tesla service, one visit with a Tesla approved third party auto paint shop as a final touch to make certain its perfect.. Now that she's back with me, I couldn't possibly be more happier with the paint results.

Point being.. Tesla Service recognized and made every attempt to make it right for me. Communication through out was excellent. I can not complain.

If you happen to be one of the unfortunate few upon delivery, take a chill pill and relax! Work with your service advisor, be cordial and it will work out in your favor.

I swear, the amount of anxiety on this forum over such issue makes me laugh.

I get it, 60k car should not have these issues. But you knew that already setting your heart on a Tesla and most of these issues can be fixed..............and life goes on.