Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 8th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Balazs Biro, of the prominent Hungarian EV channel Villanyautósok, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

Elon Musk says "constraints" on Autopilot are coming - New York Times Nov 3

"After some users uploaded videos of cars behaving erratically on Autopilot, Mr. Musk said Tesla would also introduce “additional constraints” related to when the feature can be enabled in order to “minimize the possibility of people doing crazy things with it.” "

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/business/elon-musk-says-never-mind-the-hiccups-tesla-is-on-track.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=2&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2015%2F11%2F04%2Fbusiness%2Felon-musk-says-never-mind-the-hiccups-tesla-is-on-track.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

Right. Damn it.
It's likely to be limited to divided roads, i would think. Using it in urban settings with possibility of an (unrecognized) child or cyclist being mowed down is dangerous. And if something like that happens, the whole project can get pushed back. So it's OK, probably wise, for them to do this and let the system prove its amazing learning capabilities. A little patience now is probably key for long-term success.

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
It's likely to be limited to divided roads, i would think. Using it in urban settings with possibility of an (unrecognized) child or cyclist being mowed down is dangerous. And if something like that happens, the whole project can get pushed back. So it's OK, probably wise, for them to do this and let the system prove its amazing learning capabilities. A little patience now is probably key for long-term success.

I hope you're wrong. I'm hoping it's just an occupancy sensor.

Sounds like RationalPessimism to me.

While they're at it, they should make sure to include cruise control in that restriction. Especially on older cars without TACC!

Depends on how strong your lobby is basically.

True, and plenty of people will also point to that pesky thing known as the US Constitution, that enumerates Rights as to guns that we don't have in any way, shape or form with respect to automobiles. The ownership and use of our cars (at least on the public roads) can be "infringed" pretty much as the policy makers want.

Vitold

Aug 10, 2015
NM
Cars don't kill people, people do.

Exactly, that is why some people should not be able to drive, enable Autopilot or use guns, etc. The difficult part is who decides who can and who cannot and how it's implemented.

- - - Updated - - -

Cars don't people...

...yet.

But after the machine take over the planet, you may want to look both ways before crossing...

A message from the future: Programmers don't kill people, AI kills people.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC