Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk says "constraints" on Autopilot are coming - New York Times Nov 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really enjoy political discussions when they consist of short witty snippets and not long winded explanations of someone's position :)

Do you think Elon would object if I shot my suppressed machine-gun from the window of my Model S with AP engaged (at the range on private property of course)?

True, and plenty of people will also point to that pesky thing known as the US Constitution, that enumerates Rights as to guns that we don't have in any way, shape or form with respect to automobiles. The ownership and use of our cars (at least on the public roads) can be "infringed" pretty much as the policy makers want.

As part of a well regulated militia you are correct.

I really enjoy political discussions when they consist of short witty snippets and not long winded explanations of someone's position :)

Do you think Elon would object if I shot my suppressed machine-gun from the window of my Model S with AP engaged (at the range on private property of course)?
"Autonomous skeet shooting considered for 2024 Olympics"
- San Jose Mercury News, April 1, 2019

Why would you limit yourself to one only submachine gun? With AP you can use two. Be creative!:)

A submachinegun out the window? Lame.

Just replace the video projector with a minigun, with a fire control system and stabilizers slaved to the AP sensors:

Screen-Shot-2015-01-09-at-2.32.31-PM.png

And there might be room for a 60mm grenade launcher under the hood:

tesla.jpg

Last edited:
Not to future self: Don't take that autopilot job, because you might get charged with murder.

Here's something to contemplate: right now there are about 30,000 fatalities per year on the roads in the U.S. (that's actually quite a bit fewer than in the 70s when there were fewer cars... due to seatbelts and airbags and other safety improvements, as well as some other factors).

Once true autonomous driving is everywhere, and is MANDATED by law, there will be far far fewer fatalities... maybe 1000 per year?! But...

Currently when someone dies in a car crash, it's almost always blamed on a human: someone was drunk, tired, not paying attention, driving recklessly, etc. Almost never do we blame the car. Once autonomous vehicles take over, EVERY accident will be the fault of the car (except perhaps freak accidents).

The shift in blame is going to cause a shift in litigation: instead of going after some penniless drunk driver, we now go after some deep-pocketed car company with experts reviewing telemetry and arguing about which car's software was at fault.

Brave new world.

The odd thing for me in looking at the AP situation is we simply do not take into account how many accidents happen EVERY DAY when people look down at or type a text while driving (insert any other distraction you like). It is highly likely that a reasonably well attended to AP is much safer during one of these distraction events. When you combine the weakness in human drivers with the performance of AP, the net result is fewer accidents even if the AP has one.