TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon Musk - SpaceX version

Discussion in 'SpaceX' started by Grendal, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

Elon interviewed at Air Force Space Pitch Day

• Like x 2
  2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

I loved how he ended it with a very good examination of how idiotic it is to be building single use rockets (cough, SLS, cough). But the whole thing was great.

• Like x 2
  3. GreenT

GreenT Member

I used to hang on his every word.
    Today I'll not even watch it.
    How times change?

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  4. Grendal

Grendal SpaceX Moderator

I thought there was some really interesting stuff in this one. Not too surprising if you know Elon from many of his other interviews but enlightening if you haven't.

• Like x 1
  5. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

My highlights:
    - Less than 10% of Falcon 9 is not made in-house
    - SpaceX now outsourcing Falcon 9’s landing legs to All-American Racing which makes racing cars (“They could do it better than us”)
    - “We would love to outsource more”
    - Cybertruck will look like it came off a movie set, and Elon likes it. Make what your like: “If it’s compelling to you it will be compelling to others”
    - SpaceX is 7000 people
    - Spoke twice about proper reward structure to incentivize the behaviour one wants out of their employees
    - Insists that teams step on each other’s toes to encourage system optimization over sub-system optimization (i.e. prop team goes partway into airframe and vice-versa)
    - A rocket coming back from orbit is like a seesaw
    - A pretty funny joke about shorts
    - Elon says the last full one week break without work he had was in 2000 when he had malaria
    - Want to get hired by him? Give him 3 bullets on clear evidence of exceptional ability. College degrees and 4.0 GPAs are not that
    (This following bit got quite hard to hear)
    - Starship cost of propellant (fuel and oxygen, no helium which is expensive) is about $900k per flight.
    - Starship marginal cost per flight at about $2M

I will strive to be “less wrong“ tomorrow!

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

I watched it. Just skip when you've heard it all before. There was a fair amount of new stuff.

• Disagree x 1
  7. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking the time to pick out the highlights. Every Elon interview is a fun interview, though he tends to tone it down quite a bit when he is at a NASA event.
    And I’m so glad he has not — as far as I know — had a recurrence of malaria. That is such a debilitating disease, and the last thing we need is Elon with no energy, just lying around.

It seems that the idea of a “vacation” is just not in his mindset. He enjoys his work too much!

• Like x 1
  8. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

I quite enjoyed his thoughts on recruiting talent, and retaining it.
    For example: he wonders if his recruiting would allow them to find and hire Nikola Tesla if he was around. He was concerned they would miss out on such a talent.

• Like x 1
  9. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

That was one good interview. Loved it. And I have listened to all his interviews.