Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Stop your end of the quarter mad dash....it hurts delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it that whenever anyone makes critical comments about Tesla-- no matter how reasonable and heartfelt-- people dismiss them or jump down their throats? I think the OP has every right to be dissatisfied with his delivery experience.

Yeah, it is a laughing matter. I know that as soon as I read 'ghetto', I laughed out loud and immediately rolled my eyes dismissing everything else the OP said.

That's funny too and there go my... :rolleyes:

sent via Tapatalk

people dismiss them or jump down their throats? I think the OP has every right to be dissatisfied with his delivery experience.

I agree but want more details. Was it a Jewish black Latino or maybe even rich ghetto. Not all ghettos are created equally. Suppose it could be a middle class ghetto (sometimes those can be dangerous too). We're the customers inside gangsta looking? Was hip hop playing on the radio. Please expand on these details need them to better evaluate your experience and your bias. Let us all know. Btw did you have option for home delivery. I did but then I probably would have complained about it being done in my own ghetto

sent via Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Why is it that whenever anyone makes critical comments about Tesla-- no matter how reasonable and heartfelt-- people dismiss them or jump down their throats? I think the OP has every right to be dissatisfied with his delivery experience.

Well, I know for myself (and since you chose to quote my post from all the similar posts), when someone places more importance on material things, or when they over dramatize a situation, or behave in a stereotypical manner ('ghetto' service center - really? Was the OP expecting to get a facial there and be handfed chocolate dipped strawberries in a medically sterile environment?) then I take their comments with a huge grain of salt thrown over my shoulder.

Simply stating the facts of the situation without the bluster and stamping of feet is likely to receive far more support and sympathy. The OP definitely had some reasons to be put-off, but I cease to care when things are blown out of proportion.

OP to DS: I understand you guys are working real hard, and I hate to be bother, but I have a couple of issues I'd like addressed with my new car.

DS: Yes Sir/Ma'am, how can I be of assistance.

OP: Well, the car is dirty and I see a large bubble in the paint armor.

DS: You're absolutely correct. We'll have the car detailed at your earliest convenience and take care of that bubble.

OP: I also noticed the passenger door doesn't close as easily as the rest.

DS: We'll make an appointment to have Service take a look at it.

Etc...,etc...

*A couple hours later on the TMC forums*

OP: I picked up my car today at the Service Center in *fill in the blank*. There were a few issues that I think might have been caused by Tesla trying to get out as many cars as possible before the quarter ends. I spoke with my DS and he/she said they'd all be taken care of, so while I was a bit disappointed initially upon seeing my car, my DS was sympathetic and helpful, and I've every confidence the matters will be addressed. BTW, the car drove great on the way home.

Random Poster: What sort of issues did you have?

OP: Well, my car was dirty and there was a large bubble in the paint armor. The passenger door was hard to close....

Random Poster: Ah, that sucks big time. A few of us have had those issues as well, but Tesla resolved them quickly.

Etc., etc...

But note it's not nearly as dramatic as 'my car only had 100 miles of charge and even though I live only 40 miles away and had plenty of charge to get there, what if I had wanted to drive 200 miles, I wouldn't have been able to, even though I didn't want to, how dare they not read my mind and fully charge my car...(because the last dozen ICE cars I've bought all came with full gas tanks :rolleyes:)

if you think I am one of those anal perfectionist owner, it is far far from truth. last 3 cars I took delivery took less than 10 seconds walk around.

I race cars for a hobby, all my race cars have horrible paint, dents all over, scratched windshield and banged up body. it doesn't bother me one bit. All my street cars do not have perfect paint jobs. but I take care of all my cars mechanically.

if Tesla was priced like a Hyundai, I would probably let it slide on all accounts other than cars not delivered clean. but paying $100k better gets me a delivery experience closer to Porsche than a Hyundai.

as for charging full. every new car by law (not sure if it is Cali only) needs to be delivered with full tank of fuel. Why would EV be any different ? My Volt was delivered with full charge, and Volt runs on fuel. This bothered me more than it should, because Solar City didn't finish my install on time (aren't they suppose to coordinate with Tesla ?), so I had to charge at 110v last night. I can barely get into my office today for a 220v charge (luckily office has 220v). Range anxiety within 24 hours of ownership !!

as for ghetto service center comment. have you guys been a Mercedes, Lexus or Porsche service center ? compare next time before you jump on my throat.

paint armor - I have them on over 10 cars I own, they are all applied better than the Tesla. I should of gone with a local, save 1/2 of the money and ending up with a better paint armor.

as for "mad dash", I don't have proof that's what happening other than the rep saying they need to clear out the lot by Sunday. That's a lots of cars. If Tesla takes extra weeks or 2. better delivery experience, better quality. Yes, numbers won't show up this quarter, but it will show up next quarter. Short term numbers don't mean a thing in grand scheme of things.

note, I wasn't complaining about the car itself. car drives well and I love it....But the whole delivery experience is very underwhelming.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I know for myself (and since you chose to quote my post from all the similar posts), when someone places more importance on material things, or when they over dramatize a situation, or behave in a stereotypical manner ('ghetto' service center - really? Was the OP expecting to get a facial there and be handfed chocolate dipped strawberries in a medically sterile environment?) then I take their comments with a huge grain of salt thrown over my shoulder.

Simply stating the facts of the situation without the bluster and stamping of feet is likely to receive far more support and sympathy. The OP definitely had some reasons to be put-off, but I cease to care when things are blown out of proportion.

OP to DS: I understand you guys are working real hard, and I hate to be bother, but I have a couple of issues I'd like addressed with my new car.

DS: Yes Sir/Ma'am, how can I be of assistance.

OP: Well, the car is dirty and I see a large bubble in the paint armor.

DS: You're absolutely correct. We'll have the car detailed at your earliest convenience and take care of that bubble.

OP: I also noticed the passenger door doesn't close as easily as the rest.

DS: We'll make an appointment to have Service take a look at it.

Etc...,etc...

*A couple hours later on the TMC forums*

OP: I picked up my car today at the Service Center in *fill in the blank*. There were a few issues that I think might have been caused by Tesla trying to get out as many cars as possible before the quarter ends. I spoke with my DS and he/she said they'd all be taken care of, so while I was a bit disappointed initially upon seeing my car, my DS was sympathetic and helpful, and I've every confidence the matters will be addressed. BTW, the car drove great on the way home.

Random Poster: What sort of issues did you have?

OP: Well, my car was dirty and there was a large bubble in the paint armor. The passenger door was hard to close....

Random Poster: Ah, that sucks big time. A few of us have had those issues as well, but Tesla resolved them quickly.

Etc., etc...

But note it's not nearly as dramatic as 'my car only had 100 miles of charge and even though I live only 40 miles away and had plenty of charge to get there, what if I had wanted to drive 200 miles, I wouldn't have been able to, even though I didn't want to, how dare they not read my mind and fully charge my car...(because the last dozen ICE cars I've bought all came with full gas tanks :rolleyes:)

1. I did mention about the car being dirty, no, DS did not fix it or offer me a detail.
2. I didn't see paint armor bubble nor front passenger door latching issue till after I got home.
3. as for 100 miles charge, see my previous post.
4. service center - cheapest Tesla you can buy is $60k. yes, I expect better than my local BMW dealer where you can buy a brand new $30k BMW.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a Tesla forum, hopefully my comments will help other new Tesla owners:

1. if you live far away, call ahead to make sure your new S will have enough charges at delivery.
2. if you are ordering, skip paint armor.
3. buy rear floor mats beforehand.
4. ignore what Solar City promise that charger will be ready at time of delivery. plan early.

as for "mad dash", I don't have proof that's what happening other than the rep saying they need to clear out the lot by Sunday. That's a lots of cars. If Tesla takes extra weeks or 2. better delivery experience, better quality. Yes, numbers won't show up this quarter, but it will show up next quarter. Short term numbers don't mean a thing in grand scheme of things.

Just worth noting that cars "delivered" means nothing in the quarterly results; it's cars "paid for" that counts.

FTR, I agree it's good advice to not assume that Tesla knows where you want to drive after you take possession; tell your DS in advance if you need a full charge. Also, as with any new car take the time to do a walk around - you're signing that you received the vehicle in good condition unless otherwise noted.

Your 1-5 points may be quarter related (your particular Service Center having to handle too many deliveries) but the other things (4.2, HPWC, "ghetto Service Center", web browser) have nothing to do with any quarter "dash".

ALL of his points are valid, if this is a $100K luxury car, it better be damn perfect in every single way upon delivery. i've worked at a dealership (mazda) and even they go through every square mm before delivery, its absolutely perfect. We aren't buying a used POS from some guy on craigs list or kijiji, there should be no "loose ends". to deliver a car that's not even charged? WTF, i would understand if its a used car but BRAND NEW = full tank, no exceptions.

I laughed at the ghetto service center remark.
Honestly I laughed at all of your complaints

Do you mind posting pictures of the poor panel fit?

not a laughing matter, if you piss off your customers and they blast you on a review where hundreds of thousands of people see it they will loose business, i was going to put a deposit on a P85 in June but if i see any more of this kind of BS delivery posted on the forum i may actually drop the idea all together. I want to know what Telsa does to fix this.

to the OP, please keep us posted.

not a laughing matter, if you piss off your customers and they blast you on a review where hundreds of thousands of people see it they will loose business, i was going to put a deposit on a P85 in June but if i see any more of this kind of BS delivery posted on the forum i may actually drop the idea all together. I want to know what Telsa does to fix this.

While you're correct that there should be no loose ends, this isn't like a standard company yet so the comparisons you make aren't valid. They've been doing it for what, a few months? I always sigh when people talk about cancelling or 'never doing business again' with such and such company over these sorts of things. If essentially minor things like this mean you cancel your order for your Model S - which is unique in the world - then clearly you never really wanted it that much to begin with.

note I never complained about the car. it is a great performance car. not quite the luxury of Mercedes or Audi, but performance is up there and love all the gadgets. I wouldn't want to discourage you to buy one. This is like buying a Ferrari 458 (insert hot girl or say a lousy restaurant with great food), dealer treats you like shi*, but you still want it :)

- - - Updated - - -

Just worth noting that cars "delivered" means nothing in the quarterly results; it's cars "paid for" that counts.

that's a good point.......but you sure about that ? isn't paid but not delivered meant it is treated say as a deposit, shows up as a liability on the book ?

Elon Musk has done the impossible.

No problem with TM and my MS. Delivered on a Thursday night, 220 miles of range, impeccable condition. Paint armor well done.
Carbon fiber spoiler and parcel shelf will come when they are ready. I am still on 4.2 and happy. 4.3 has some "bugs". Why would I want a release with any bugs?

I am going to side with Elon Musk. Fellow has done the impossible.

note I never complained about the car. it is a great performance car. not quite the luxury of Mercedes or Audi, but performance is up there and love all the gadgets. I wouldn't want to discourage you to buy one. This is like buying a Ferrari 458 (insert hot girl or say a lousy restaurant with great food), dealer treats you like shi*, but you still want it :)

yeah i understand that the car has great performance on paper and im working 2 full time jobs temporarily just to save up for this beast of a car, however, if im going to drop $122K CAD on a car (yes im willing pay $16K more than the US Price just because im in Canada), the delivery, service, dealer has to be up to par as well.

for me, customer service is 50% the other 50% is the product itself, if either one fails to meet standards, i consider the whole thing a failure. I want Tesla to succeed, its the first company that actually looks to the future, but half assing the customer service part ESPECIALLY first impressions such as delivery will not allow them too. Being a startup, they have to do everything better, cleaner, and faster than the big three.

i fully get what you are saying about the hot girl/lousy restaurant, ive been in both situations, it comes down to my time and money. Do i want to deal with BS? the answer is no, i just wont bother if thats the case. I will only pay if a company deserves the money, its the whole voting with your wallet thing.

Last edited:
however, if im going to drop $122K CAD on a car (yes im willing to get raped by paying $16K more than the US Price just because im in Canada)

To be fair, $6500 of that is import duty that goes to the Canadian government. And I just compared two identically configured (most options) cars and the price difference was only $8750 when you include the $7500 US government rebate. So you're not paying a huge chunk extra.

I find it very interesting the positions some people take on a one sided conversation or post, I think Tesla has done a marvelous job all around. My experience from beginning to end has been impeccable. I think the sales and manufacturing model they have developed demands that outcome. To fly off the handle and make a bold assertion as to your willingness to purchase an item from any company on a one sided post is irrational, lets wait till the OP gets back from his trip and TAKES the time to post a couple of pictures and then look at the results. This off with their heads attitude without evidence needs a little tempering with evidence.

To be fair, $6500 of that is import duty that goes to the Canadian government. And I just compared two identically configured (most options) cars and the price difference was only $8750 when you include the $7500 US government rebate. So you're not paying a huge chunk extra.

okay, i guess our government sucks and Alberta has no rebate, fine, but technically at the end, a full $16K+more comes out of my pocket and into someone elses, doesnt matter who. I'm willing to absorb that cost, but if i do, i expect the car to be delivered as advertised with no delays or missing parts, professionalism all around, it should be the same experience if not better than buying a $100K mercedes, bmw, lexus, etc.

this picture is only the base model difference, the P85 im spec-ing has the glass roof, 21" wheels, tech package, armor, stereo upgrade and the parcel shelf.
yCxkQlG.jpg

EDIT: sorry i guess i accidentally thread jacked the op

Last edited:
I wouldn't tolerate a DS doing nothing after I noted the car being dirty...I hope you not only pointed out that it was dirty, but that you stated you wanted resolution for it, and that you keep on Tesla to make it right. That said, sounds like you made assumptions that certain things were taken care of. Why didn't you contact your DS and ask him to ensure there was adequate charge on the car for your needs? I did that last week..picking my car up tomorrow. Did you do a 10 second walk around like you did with your other cars? The activity in the service center, the dirt on the car, and the non-responsiveness of the DS would have been red flags for me to spend a bit more time on the inspection. I'm not letting Tesla off the hook..far from it...but I do think the adage "trust but verify" fits in this case.

I could say that someone who can so easily condemn another human being whom they've never met, by a single comment on an Internet forum, might themselves have issues. I could say that, but I would never do so since I know just how absurd such conduct would be.

Rodolfo, don't want to engage on this level, but I will anyway. I did not condemn any person. I said "anyone... might have issues..." It was not personal.

I stand by my statement. I have not taken delivery yet. But if my vehicle is delivered dirty, I will tell the DS to bring it back when it's clean and ready to be accepted. Tesla is a new manufacturer, and I am willing to accept all that goes with that. I am not willing to accept a vehicle that is not in day one pristine condition when I get it. How dirty was the vehicle that the OP accepted? That's another question and I am not going to get into that. If there are those out there who are willing to accept a brand new luxury vehicle of any type or price that is not clean.... well, I say again. They have issues themselves. And I am not condemning anyone, just stating my opinion.