Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Stop your end of the quarter mad dash....it hurts delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, every concern raised by the OP is a valid concern. Tesla does not provide a consistently high quality delivery experience. They ought to. Period, end of story.

That said, they are a startup and haven't had a hundred years to perfect this process like every other car maker has (to a greater or lesser degree). Anyone expecting perfection has unrealistic expectations. Period, end of story.
+1

I was wrong. WKTEC came out over a year before the LA store was built.

Who Killed the Electric Car? (2006) - IMDb

XXXX.jpg
LA store 6/2007

Last edited:
I don't really agree with this, even when i bought a Hyundai 4 years ago, they had it perfect on delivery, i looked at every square millimeter of the car and it was clean and detailed through out. That car was only $36K and came with floor mats front and back embroidered with the Genesis logo (so the equivalent of premium floor mats), so if i spend $100K i should have the same amount of service and quality but 3x the car.

it shouldn't matter if they are a startup, they can observe how others have done it and do it better, dont tell me the CSR's have never bought a car from anyone other than Tesla.

i don't know if the general buyer on these boards have so much money bleeding out of them that they don't care or what but being 30 and NOT making 6+ figures a year i worked hard to get this money, i expect results from it, and the results im expecting are no where near unreasonable since dealers like Kia/Hyunda/toyota/ford and Mitsubishi have provided high quality service for 1/8th the price.

- - - Updated - - -

wow, really? i used to work at Mazda and if the car has been sitting outside for a long time before getting sold, the paint would have a grimy residue on it so they would wash and do a full 3 stage wax the car to make it have the smooth "brand new" feel again
It was not acceptable to have a non-clean/non-detailed car upon delivery.

i guess some dealers just don't give a sh*t.

Yes some dealers don't care. I remember when I ordered my Acura tsx I ordered it in gray with black interior. After a three week wait, car was black/black. I was like why did I wait then? I saw a gray one on the lot, they sold it the day before. I believe they made a mistake and sold my car.

I will be interesting to watch the transition from Tesla doing the early adopter a favor by delivering a car to the customer doing Tesla a favor by buying the car. I suspect there might be a bit of pain for all in the interim.

For those that read my posts in the worst possible light, no, I'm not saying all of Tesla sucks. I am in awe of the company, product and management. My comments are based on simple observation of issues that will need to be corrected if Tesla is to live up to its own standards. There is nothing worse than a blow hard spewing how great they are and then not performing. Tesla is way down the road to performing and will never be a McLaren. I just want to see them make that last 5% and, as any programmer knows, that last 5% is a *itch!

EarlyAdoptor,
Sorry to use so many words to basically say the same thing :)

Last edited:
The real problem with accepting a dirty car is that dirt hides defects. So you accept a dirty car, drive it home, wash it, and find nicks and scratches in the paint. Too late! You accepted the car. If this is OK with you, hey everyone is different. My car will be clean before I accept it. And hopefully, defect free as well.

Took delivery of my S today. There were a ton of Tesla (30+) at the service center. They are all to be delivered by end of the week. This is crazy, there are only few people working at Service Center. Quality of delivery is not top notch.

1. my S was not fully charged, it shows ~100 miles range. Where do Tesla think I live ? luckily I live 40 miles away, but I could not of gone to all the places I wanted today.
2. my S was not washed.
3. interior was not clean.
4. paint "armor" was 2nd rate, some were bubbling.
5. passenger door don't latch properly 70% of the time.

my rep was helpful and knowledgeable, but did or couldn't do nothing about 1-5.

*what's up with no rear floor mat, are we back in Yugo era ?
*what's up with no HPWC delivery. If you can't deliver, don't take the money upfront
*firmware still at 4.2. what's up with that ?
*what's up with ghetto Service Center. this is a "luxury car"
*can the web browser be any crappier ?

Mr. Musk: stop the delivery mad dash, stop trying to appease Wall Street. Trying to move all the cars out this week, just means less cars delivered next week. It also doesn't make business sense.
There is no way this post is true-
1. My oen delivery service was perfect as was the car cleaned and charged
2. Explain why anyone would accept car in condition he reports. No obligation to who would be foolish enough to accept car with bubbling finish and malaligned doors?

Another short attack

My car was clean on delivery (not for very long though--whatever happened to the self-cleaning car? :)

The two Tesla folks took a lot of time explaining the car to us.

I knew enough to get paint armour from a local installer.

I don't see how they could have done better.

Waiting for the parcel shelf.

I could say that someone who can so easily condemn another human being whom they've never met, by a single comment on an Internet forum, might themselves have issues. I could say that, but I would never do so since I know just how absurd such conduct would be.

You just did condemn this fellow. So "do as I say, not as I do"?

- - - Updated - - -

2. Explain why anyone would accept car in condition he reports. No obligation to who would be foolish enough to accept car with bubbling finish and malaligned doors?

I agree with your comment. My car was perfect at delivery. If it had not been perfect, I would not have accepted it. I have never accepted a car, any car, from any manufacturer that was not good at the time of delivery. Is this called due diligence? Or just common sense? If I had accepted a car in such alleged poor condition, I would have been a fool.

When I was 17 I worked at the Scottsdale Jag/Porsche/Bentley/Aston dealer as a lot attendant making $7 an hour. Best job I've ever had by the way (I ultimately was fired for speeding in a 911, go figure...not to mention cruising ASU in a DB7 Volante many a times). The dealership had a bay where I would drive the cars up an hand wash them periodically. I washed the interior, exterior, door jams, trunk jams and under the bonnet. This was totally different from the detailing job done by a professional in the adjacent bay which was not part of new car sales. I also worked at the local Mercedes dealership (for 1 day) and they just drive the cars through a 10 foot long auto wash. I suspect most dealerships just drive it through a mechanical wash, which is terrible. I wouldn't drive a black car through one of those for any reason.

So I guess my point is, I think a good hand wash is all we should expect.

Another short attack

Is this a troll attack by a short? I guess these people will stop at nothing. If so, liar liar pants on fire.

You just did condemn this fellow. So "do as I say, not as I do"?

Not at all. I noted how easy it is to condemn someone in such a knee-jerk fashion, and how his/her approach might well be turned against him/her. Then I said that I would never do so since I know just how absurd such conduct would be. The intent was for that person to realize the error of his/her ways... not that I have high hopes, but it was worth a try.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm offended by your casual and improper use of this word.

Amen.

- - - Updated - - -

For the sake of comparison, I just got home from my Model S delivery at the Dania Beach (FL) Service Center. Yes, it's almost 1am and I just received my car: Jacques drove back to Dania from his home at 10pm to deliver my car to me. I wanted the car, he wanted to help his company make the best quarterly numbers they can, so we were on the same page. My car was absolutely impeccable. We went over both the car and the paperwork with a fine-toothed comb (none of this "when I get home" baloney), and I cannot find even the smallest gripe. The whole delivery experience took about 90 minutes and I cannot think of any way in which Tesla could have done better.

And oh-my-God this car is incredible.

I will be interesting to watch the transition from Tesla doing the early adopter a favor by delivering a car to the customer doing Tesla a favor by buying the car. I suspect there might be a bit of pain for all in the interim.
I agree wholeheartedly. Sometimes in this forum I noticed that if you're not 100% Tesla-fanboy, all the time, people jump all over you! :cursing:
I, for one, believe in airing dirty laundry but others believe that it should be kept under wraps!

- - - Updated - - -

; said:
Another short attack
Pre-Script Olive Branch: I removed the name of the person I'm quoting above, because it is not a personal attack on them, just a critique of the style. :smile:

Does an 'N' of 1 prove that 'there is no way this post is true'?
Why is there a lack of perception relativity that other people can have other experiences that are 180 degrees from their own?
Then, especially someone who bought the car, goes and blogs about it; do they want to destroy the company or maybe, just maybe, if enough people complain, the company will change for the better?

Maybe, just maybe, enthusiasm rolls over you like a wave of 'love at 1st site' and you accept a car, with all its delivery imperfections...
"but soon afterwards you wake up from your drunken stupor to find out that what happened was not right," I said to the Federali Policia in a Tijuana prison when I was asking for antibiotics a few decades back! :scared:

Last edited: