Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Stop your end of the quarter mad dash....it hurts delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging 12v overnight didn't fix the 12v, it read 6v on voltmeter. I then hooked up a jumper battery, car woke up. Started charging (220v) for few hours, now everything works. Ran voltmeter, 12v battery is now reading 14v. Great so far. Took it out for a drive, everything works.

The 12V might be shot after being left so low on charge for such a long time. Lead acid batteries really don't like that, so you might end up having to replace it. If you do, you'll soon find out.

The 12V might be shot after being left so low on charge for such a long time. Lead acid batteries really don't like that, so you might end up having to replace it. If you do, you'll soon find out.

not sure how 7 days is a long time......
and car only had 125 miles on it, of which 50 miles came from factory.
when you say left on low charge, do you mean 12v or the 220v system (propulsion) ?
I will check the voltage of 12v battery regularly, checking it through cigarette lighter socket.

Last edited:
Some chargers will not charge if the battery voltage starts off too low. Others may default to 6V charging in your situation. The jumping provided some charge and supply current for the system which then allowed access to the high voltage system for charging. However, you have a lead acid battery that has spent time at low voltage. Typically this will damage the battery and cause you problems down the road. You may want Tesla to follow up and do a capacity test on it.

Sorry,
I did not see that jkirkebo got to the comment first.

Disappointing delivery situation today. I had requested a service center pickup (Rockville). Tesla changed that to a home delivery to make their 1st quarter numbers. The driver couldn't get the cars off the truck today because 3 of the 6 cars were dead. The primary battery was at "0" so the 12v battery died. It seems that the team at the factory didn't charge the cars enough to last for the cross-country trip.

Tesla sent a tech from the service center. He "jumped" the dead cars, and we drove the 300 yards to a single Blink charger that was (fortunately) in the shopping center where we had the truck deliver the cars. An hour later, I had enough of a charge to drive home. What should have been an easy 1-hour process ended up taking 4 hours and two trips to the shopping center. Even now I'm still waiting for the car to charge enough so I can drive it without range anxiety (it's at 17 miles now). I'm happy to have the car, and it's in good condition otherwise. But, the delivery experience was a letdown.

Disappointing delivery situation today. I had requested a service center pickup (Rockville). Tesla changed that to a home delivery to make their 1st quarter numbers. The driver couldn't get the cars off the truck today because 3 of the 6 cars were dead. The primary battery was at "0" so the 12v battery died. It seems that the team at the factory didn't charge the cars enough to last for the cross-country trip.

Tesla sent a tech from the service center. He "jumped" the dead cars, and we drove the 300 yards to a single Blink charger that was (fortunately) in the shopping center where we had the truck deliver the cars. An hour later, I had enough of a charge to drive home. What should have been an easy 1-hour process ended up taking 4 hours and two trips to the shopping center. Even now I'm still waiting for the car to charge enough so I can drive it without range anxiety (it's at 17 miles now). I'm happy to have the car, and it's in good condition otherwise. But, the delivery experience was a letdown.

I assume they changed to home deliveries so they could count them as soon as the truck left the factory, vs. when you would have picked up at the service center. As a shareholder and Model S owner I want to see Tesla succeed, and exceeding 1Q sales/delivery numbers to achieve the first profitable quarter was a huge milestone. I'm glad my early March delivery helped contribute to it. But I think the company owes people like Greg G and perhaps the OP a "thank you" in the form of a little Tesla branded gear to make up for the rushed/incomplete/on-our-terms deliveries at the end of the quarter.

The 12V shouldn't drain this quickly. I wonder if this is a problem with the keyless entry system? I can't believe that they would have so many issues with 12V batteries without a non-battery related cause.

The 12V shouldn't drain this quickly. I wonder if this is a problem with the keyless entry system? I can't believe that they would have so many issues with 12V batteries without a non-battery related cause.

It's not surprising to me. Every car with a big battery has more issues with the 12V battery than with anything else. The engineers size the battery to be "just enough" and so if anything unexpected happens--battery drained. Honestly, if they would add 9 kg and put in a full sized battery like this one at least 75% of the problems with the 12V would go away.

It's not surprising to me. Every car with a big battery has more issues with the 12V battery than with anything else. The engineers size the battery to be "just enough" and so if anything unexpected happens--battery drained. Honestly, if they would add 9 kg and put in a full sized battery like this one at least 75% of the problems with the 12V would go away.

330 cca? for $100+K car, i would expect 1000cca agm battery considering how many electonics in the car rely on the battery.

330 cca? for $100+K car, i would expect 1000cca agm battery considering how many electonics in the car rely on the battery.
ACK, CCA Does not matter at all for the Tesla. CCA is Cold Cranking Amps. We are not "Cranking" a ICE over. That is the only time CCA comes into play.

What we want are AH (Amp Hours). Amp hours are how long a battery can provide XXX # of amps for a certain period of time. Which is usually rated at 1 amp I believe. so a deep cycle battery, rated at 114 amp hours, should be able to provide 1 amp of power for 114 hours, or 114 amps for 1 hour (Although, due to inefficiencies and being able to get less power at higher draws, most likely a 114 ah battery would be able to provide about 70 or 80 at 114 amp draw for a hour-ish).

So the magic number, is the AH capacity of the battery. It could be 10 cranking amps, but as long as it can provide enough current to the electronics, and has a deep cycle capacity of enough amp hours, it's fine.

The odyssey battery above poster linked to has a AH rating of 28AH. That is fairly decent. Personally, my experience with Odyssey has not been a good one, and I will not be using their batteries any time soon. I have had great success with Batteries Plus Werker series Deep Cycles for Sealed Batteries, and Extremely great success with Walmart's Flooded Deep Cycle Everstart-Maxx Marine for flooded uses such as my EV Conversion. And Walmart has a warranty second to none. Unfortunately, they do not have a side that would fit a Tesla.

Although, anyone here have the Group Size or dimensions of the Tesla battery, I would really like it as I am looking into a Lithium Alternative.