Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Tesla Cybertruck Orders Are Gigantic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
At the Battery Day event, the Cybertruck was displayed together with ATV, Roadster and Semi. Elon Musk revealed during Tesla Battery Day that the number of orders (actually pre-orders) for its extraordinary, all-electric Cybertruck pickup are “gigantic” (see IEVs coverage – 2:44:07). There are well over half a million pre-orders, maybe even 600,000 according to Musk, who did not announce the exact number. He...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/09/23/elon-musk-tesla-cybertruck-orders-gigantic/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

What are the input charging voltages and current at a supercharger for a Cybertruck 3 motor?
Will a Powerpack work on an off grid system to charge a pair of Cybertrucks?
How big an array would I need to power the Powerpack off grid in a very sunny south-facing, no shadow area? 50KW?

I'm just not buying it... I really think there are a lot less reservations than they claim. No company, even one as different as Tesla is not going to not know how many they have. It is a revenue and planning factor. Let alone, it is virtually impossible to not count them when you have a system that provides a number... So, I think it sounds cool to say there are too many to count, etc. but highly doubt that is valid.

SS

Last edited:
I am assumming the total number of reservations is correct, but many people did multiple and for just $100 that was refundable its my guess there are a lot of people that were not serious

Out of the proposed 700K- 1.0M number is probably 250-400K

Reactions: empiredown
I'm just not buying it... I really think there are a lot less reservations than they claim. No company, even one as different as Tesla is not going to not know how many they have. It is a revenue and planning factor. Let alone, it is virtually impossible to not count them when you have a system that provides a number... So, I think it sounds cool to say there are too many to count, etc. but highly doubt that is valid.

SS

Why would they reveal exact number. Also Elon certainly isn’t follow a counter, nor would he care to get an update from his team. Number is correct 100%.

Lets pick on GM selling out the first year of production of the 113k Hummer. How many did they sell, 500? 1000? 2000? Their release timeline spans between 2021-2024. I am a hummer fan btw and will likey get one. I was upset with their ‘get it now’ yet I can’t reserve/buy one in Canada, instead we have to go thru a dealer network... so 2019...

I saw a report last week about Rivian and the estimated orders are 30k. Great for a new company but nothing compared to the CT. If I had to guess I would say the Hummer reservations are comparable to the Ford Mach E at 50k.

I saw a report last week about Rivian and the estimated orders are 30k. Great for a new company but nothing compared to the CT. If I had to guess I would say the Hummer reservations are comparable to the Ford Mach E at 50k.

i am surprised about the 30k for rivian, is that reservations?, and expect sales to be a lot less yearly. Selling a cybertruck thats 40-70k is one thing.
Selling the hummer which is 100k+ for the next 2 years at that volume is highly unlikely. Rivian starts at 70k. Just have to look at volumes of similarly priced vehicles, 30-50k units per year is not gonna happen no matter how good they are.

What are the input charging voltages and current at a supercharger for a Cybertruck 3 motor?
Will a Powerpack work on an off grid system to charge a pair of Cybertrucks?
How big an array would I need to power the Powerpack off grid in a very sunny south-facing, no shadow area? 50KW?

Input voltages vary with the amount of pack charge, being high when pack is near empty (like 135 kW), then tapering to very low when the pack is near full (like 35 kW). Charging with a Power Pack will take hours. And hours.

A Powerpack is relatively weak. Mine hold about 5 kWh each, and I have three. My Model S battery is near 100 kWh. I hope you see that there is really not much chance that a Powerpack will charge even a Model 3, much less a "pair of Cybertrucks". Of course, over time, several days, in fact, the power packs might recharge from solar (I have 68 panels) and refill the powerwall and thence your truck, but we're talking days. You will likely need the grid to be your battery. Fill the grid, then fill your car. Over many days, you'll charge the truck.

Your array should create near 100 kWh of power, and you'd need to store it somewhere so you could use it to charge the truck. My panels generate about 15 kW, and I have a bunch. 15 kW would take near seven hours of full sun to charge your truck. This is why we use the grid, as a large battery. Fill the grid, then fill the car. Or fill the car and spend several days filling the grid back up.

Why would they reveal exact number. Also Elon certainly isn’t follow a counter, nor would he care to get an update from his team. Number is correct 100%.

That’s the whole thing. What number? No one outside Tesla actually knows, and using your logic, no one inside Tesla knows... Nah, sorry man. They only lose by broadcasting the number of it’s lower than the hype. So, they aren’t.

Time will tell. Maybe.

ß

That’s the whole thing. What number? No one outside Tesla actually knows, and using your logic, no one inside Tesla knows... Nah, sorry man. They only lose by broadcasting the number of it’s lower than the hype. So, they aren’t.

Time will tell. Maybe.

ß
Inside tesla they know the exact number of deposits at any given time. As a company whats the benefit of them revealing that number to the public as its only a $100 deposit and not a confirmed purchase/actual delivery. So even if number was published it doesn’t translate to exact orders. Many will wait to see it before buying it, many reserved it to post it on instagram and then will ultimately not buy it. Their production volumes go up every quarter, so the demand is there, thats all that matters. Tesla focus is to deliver the product, not please the media, likely why they closed their PR department recently.

But that's not what he said at Battery Day. "We stopped counting. We don't even know the number " C'mon. They know, and they aren't saying. Same thing with the Y... "This will be the highest selling, most soght after Tesla ever. " Then people are getting them within a few days of ordering right after launch... To be clear. I'm a Tesla Fan. But it doesn't mean I'm blind or have lost my objectivity.

If it was in Tesla's best interest, they'd share the exact numbers. It's not, they don't.

ß

232kWh Powerpack: $172,000.
200-250kWh Cybertruck: $70,000.

Hurm.
Even with the Powerpack price reduction down to $120,000, it is still way more than the Cybertruck or Tesla Semi in cost per KWH. I think both have built in inverters to convert the DC to 3 phase AC for the drive motors. I wish I had studied electrical engineering instead of mechanical engineering :)

(I'm going to bite, even though I know it's trolling)

There's a world of difference between kW and kWh.

It's not a typo; it's being wrong on the fundamentals and not knowing anything about what you're talking about. That's all too common from some posters on anonymous internet forums.

Reactions: dazedNconfuzed
We are both talking about battery capacity in KWh. The powerpack battery is rated at 232 kwh and costs $120,000. The battery pack in the 500 mile/ 3 motor Cybertruck may be similar in size at about 200-250 kwh and it sells for $70,000. Both have inverters. Maybe the Powerpack's inverter is much more expensive for a reason. Maybe the Powerpack batteries are better? But for my small off-grid cabin, it would be cool to have a powerpack like battery on wheels to power my cabin. I would appreciate any insight you may have regarding the Cybertruck's capabilities as a power supply battery for an off grid cabin. I believe the inverter on the Cybertruck converts the DC power from it's battery to a 3 phase AC power supply to the Cybertruck's electric drive motors. It would be cool to tap into those copper contacts on the Cybertruck inverter to supply 3 phase AC power to a house.

Input voltages vary with the amount of pack charge, being high when pack is near empty (like 135 kW), then tapering to very low when the pack is near full (like 35 kW). Charging with a Power Pack will take hours. And hours.

A Powerpack is relatively weak. Mine hold about 5 kWh each, and I have three. My Model S battery is near 100 kWh. I hope you see that there is really not much chance that a Powerpack will charge even a Model 3, much less a "pair of Cybertrucks". Of course, over time, several days, in fact, the power packs might recharge from solar (I have 68 panels) and refill the powerwall and thence your truck, but we're talking days. You will likely need the grid to be your battery. Fill the grid, then fill your car. Over many days, you'll charge the truck.

Your array should create near 100 kWh of power, and you'd need to store it somewhere so you could use it to charge the truck. My panels generate about 15 kW, and I have a bunch. 15 kW would take near seven hours of full sun to charge your truck. This is why we use the grid, as a large battery. Fill the grid, then fill the car. Or fill the car and spend several days filling the grid back up.
Thank you. I was curious what the supercharger charging voltages and amperages are, when charging at 135KW rate. The Tesla "PowerPacks" (at $120,000) are huge (rated at 232 kwh) and are used for small industrial buildings. Tesla "PowerWalls" are used on residential homes and are rated at about 13 kwh each.