Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Tesla Cybertruck Orders Are Gigantic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just not buying it... I really think there are a lot less reservations than they claim. No company, even one as different as Tesla is not going to not know how many they have. It is a revenue and planning factor. Let alone, it is virtually impossible to not count them when you have a system that provides a number... So, I think it sounds cool to say there are too many to count, etc. but highly doubt that is valid.

SS
I agree with any claim that they don't know how many they have. It should be a pretty simple. SELECT COUNT(*) FROM <table> WHERE <cybertruck>

Reactions: DJVoorhees
I am assumming the total number of reservations is correct, but many people did multiple and for just $100 that was refundable its my guess there are a lot of people that were not serious

Out of the proposed 700K- 1.0M number is probably 250-400K
And that's just a few more than the Mustang Mach e or the Hummer....
It will keep the Texas factory busy for three years.
When the first ones hit the streets, the orders will double.
The most frequent thing I hear from young people is, "When I get older I want a TESLA."

Once the FSD is online the value of these trucks will double overnight.
Apparently, 74% have already ordered FSD (not sure where that number came from, but it can't be doubled).

I have had both and personally don't feel the FSD is worth $10,000. My autopilot works just fine, I can see stop lights and have GPS and really don't want to sleep on the way to my destination. It's just a matter of personal preference and value. Would you pay $20,000 for FSD?

Here is a situation in which you would. If the Senate "Clean Energy for America" stands, there would be a $10,000 tax credit for Vehicles built in the US, by a non-union car maker. EVs: more expensive than $80,000 would be ineligible.

So if you ordered a Tri-motor CYBRTRK at $69,000 and added FSD for $10,000 plus tax, license, and delivery, you would be beyond the $80,000 limit and effectively the FSD will have cost you $20,000.

A strategy might be to add it after delivery if you really that intent on having it. Can be added from your phone app.

Attachments

• 36017 (1).jpeg
    36017 (1).jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: gmontem
I believe as the bill is written thus far, the $80k limit applies to MSRP, which wouldn't include sales tax. That would put the tri-motor in range of the credit, depending on what options you might add on. Obviously we'd have to see what actually ends up getting passed into law, though.

Reactions: themorey
I believe as the bill is written thus far, the $80k limit applies to MSRP, which wouldn't include sales tax. That would put the tri-motor in range of the credit, depending on what options you might add on. Obviously we'd have to see what actually ends up getting passed into law, though.
The Senate bill as written says "First, it would place a limit on the total price of the cars eligible to $80,000."
Don't forget the $1200 Destination and Doc Fee which are not part of the MSRP, however they are part of the total price of the car.
A trailer hitch is also $1000.

Example for Tri-motor, Destination and FSD
$69900 (no options) + $1200 (destination and docs) + $10,000 (FSD) = $81,100

Example for Tri-motor, Destination and Tax (Hopefully TAX WON'T be included in the total sales amount.)
$69900 + $1200 (destination and docs) + $4266 Tax + $75,366 (well under the $80k limit)

Like you said, it may be a moot issue for now. "With Republican EV support in short supply, the chances of the legislation passing in the Senate are scarce with the filibuster in place. While Senate leadership could use a parliamentary tool known as budget reconciliation to pass the legislation, there is only a finite number of times a bill can be passed this way. The administration may push the Senate to use the budget reconciliation process, which only requires a simple majority on a bigger piece of legislation like the American Jobs Plan.

It's a wait-and-see. Lost of factors to consider.
The bill might not pass.
The ceiling price might be adjusted downward (definitely not upward) in negotiations.
The increase in the price of steel may cause Tesla to raise the prices (not likely, but could happen).

Best to be safe and add FSD after if it knocks your socks off. (Of course, it would have to be with separate financing.)

Attachments

• Doc and Destination Fees.jpg
    Doc and Destination Fees.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: eggzrule
@Scott Fairchild Thanks, I looked back at the article I read from Bloomberg regarding the $80k limit and they quoted "suggested retail price".

Checked a more reputable source like Reuters and they have it stated as "total retail price". So yep, depending on how it's interpreted that would likely rule out anyone purchasing the tri-motor if you include FSD + tax + title + destination fees.

Source: U.S. Senate panel advances EV tax credit of up to $12,500

If you want to try and decipher the legislation, can be viewed here: Wyden, Colleagues Introduce Legislation to Overhaul Energy Tax Code, Create Jobs, Combat Climate Crisis | The United States Senate Committee on Finance

First time I've tried reading something that amends past legislation, yikes, haha. I need a git diff to properly interpret this stuff 🤦‍♂️oof.