Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Tesla Model S Plaid To Have Structural Battery, 4680 Cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the new cell technology increasing the range by 30%, that would make the current long range raven‘s 402 mile range approximately 520 miles. That’s without increasing the capacity of the 100 kWh battery. That would be preferable to an increased capacity as charge times would not increase on long road trips.

Expect all the new tech to initially go into the newer cars like Plaid, New Coupe, Cybertruck. Regular production most likely will continue with the legacy cells.
If it's similar to every other improvement, the regular S and X will get it eventually. Within a year has been the usual time frame.

How will the structural battery affect the ability to replace a car's battery relatively quickly?

If a battery expires within warranty, does the car have to go back to Maranello, er, Fremont for a total rebuild? Or will it still be a Service Center operation of a few hours?

The original S was designed with three-minute battery changes in mind (with appropriate heavy equipment to handle the battery packs during a swap operation, it's probably higher in actual time at an SC as opposed to the unused swap station.)

If Tesla has to "85" these new structural 4680-based packs some time down the road, and a battery swap requires shipping the car back to the factory, you can be guaranteed you'll never get your capacity/power/charging speeds back!

Maybe there will be some kind of jig designed to hold the new car together during a structural battery replacement to prevent issues during a replacement.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The design is stale and the interior utterly embarrassing compared to Tesla's own cars that cost half as much. Drink some more Koolaid, folks, because you're paying over $130,000 to be a beta tester... AGAIN!
For people like me who prefer the interior layout of the Model S/X to that of the 3/Y this statement isn't true. Now, if they wanted to upgrade ALL of the materials used for the same interior layout and add some storage in the doors and under the center arm rest I wouldn't argue as the car desperately needs that. They could then bring back MORE options rather than less (vented seats anyone?) and then maybe add some whiz-bang futuristic feature like a HUD but otherwise.. it's still the best interior for people who don't like interiors made of plastic with "special" design touches like hot gluing an iPad to an otherwise barren dash. No thanks.

For people like me who prefer the interior layout of the Model S/X to that of the 3/Y this statement isn't true. Now, if they wanted to upgrade ALL of the materials used for the same interior layout and add some storage in the doors and under the center arm rest I wouldn't argue as the car desperately needs that. They could then bring back MORE options rather than less (vented seats anyone?) and then maybe add some whiz-bang futuristic feature like a HUD but otherwise.. it's still the best interior for people who don't like interiors made of plastic with "special" design touches like hot gluing an iPad to an otherwise barren dash. No thanks.
The Model S/X has tons of cheap plastic interior moldings. A refresh would be nice. The Model S has terrible LED headlights that are rated poor by IIHS. Seeing discrete LEDs in the taillight strip of a car made in 2021 will, indeed, be embarrassing when even a $25,000 Kia has evenly lit, light pipe-style taillights.

The Model S/X has tons of cheap plastic interior moldings. A refresh would be nice. The Model S has terrible LED headlights that are rated poor by IIHS. Seeing discrete LEDs in the taillight strip of a car made in 2021 will, indeed, be embarrassing when even a $25,000 Kia has evenly lit, light pipe-style taillights.
I like the individual LED's in the 3rd tail-light. It "fits". I do NOT like the individual lights in the DRL's on the original S - that should never have been allowed!!

The design is stale and the interior utterly embarrassing compared to Tesla's own cars that cost half as much. Drink some more Koolaid, folks, because you're paying over $130,000 to be a beta tester... AGAIN!

Amped-
Why don’t you just relax. All this vendetta throughout all the threads. Ed Niedermeyer comes to mind -you are beating a dead horse. Buy another car and get happy.

With the new cell technology increasing the range by 30%, that would make the current long range raven‘s 402 mile range approximately 520 miles. That’s without increasing the capacity of the 100 kWh battery. That would be preferable to an increased capacity as charge times would not increase on long road trips.

I thought the range is increased by a higher battery density, which means more kWh in the same volume. To drive 30% farther with the same 100 kWh battery would require significant aerodynamics improvement.

• Love
With the announcement that the Plaid Model S will use 4680 cells in a structural role, I'm guessing the Plaid model to be simply the top level of a completely redesigned Model S, which has been rumored for some time. A redesigned Model X shouldn't be far behind.

The Roadster and Cybertruck will certainly have the new cells in their structure, as well as any new model in the pipeline, announced, rumored, or dreamt about.

How will the structural battery affect the ability to replace a car's battery relatively quickly?

If a battery expires within warranty, does the car have to go back to Maranello, er, Fremont for a total rebuild? Or will it still be a Service Center operation of a few hours?

The original S was designed with three-minute battery changes in mind (with appropriate heavy equipment to handle the battery packs during a swap operation, it's probably higher in actual time at an SC as opposed to the unused swap station.)

If Tesla has to "85" these new structural 4680-based packs some time down the road, and a battery swap requires shipping the car back to the factory, you can be guaranteed you'll never get your capacity/power/charging speeds back!

Maybe there will be some kind of jig designed to hold the new car together during a structural battery replacement to prevent issues during a replacement.

I understand this will mean that batteries will not be replaceable. They will be part of the structure of the car, making the car's handling and efficiency even better than now. This is possible because of the new battery technology that doesn't use connectors between cells, instead allowing for direct energy transference. At battery day, Elon compared it to jet wings that have fuel tanks in them, they aren't just for lift they are also fuel storage. Likewise the battery isn't just for electricity storage, it actually is structural. The new batteries will supposedly be so much more efficient that much greater range will happen, even without increasing the number of cells, meaning it'll still be 100 kwh battery, but get 100 more miles of range or whatever the number is. Elon seems to think it is a huge leap forward.

The new batteries will supposedly be so much more efficient that much greater range will happen, even without increasing the number of cells, meaning it'll still be 100 kwh battery, but get 100 more miles of range or whatever the number is.
The increased range comes mostly from
  1. A higher energy density per Kg cell (Wh/Kg)
  2. Improved volumetric efficiency (Wh/liter) from (1), from larger cells, and perhaps less space in the pack used by cooling, letting tesla place more cells in the same space.

I'm somewhat disappointed that they unveiled the 'Tech' this far out. It really should've been when launching the actual vehicle and only weeks from delivery. They've give the competition too much notice and possible slow down in sales at the date narrows.
I'm sure they've got other tech or secret sauce within the battery itself but I guess we'll wait and see.

So does that mean that the battery will not be replaceable in this new plaid version as easily because it is now "structural"? I'm hoping these packs will fit in an older model S as well for upgrades or replacements in the future but doesn't sound like they will...?

• Love
My guess is reduced weight. The S is such a heavy vehicle, about 1000lbs more than a 3.

I'm assuming the new S should weigh less than a 3 considering its probably going to be made with aluminum again.

I'm hoping for slightly more narrow wheels and less rolling resistance with non performance model S/X.
I thought the range is increased by a higher battery density, which means more kWh in the same volume. To drive 30% farther with the same 100 kWh battery would require significant aerodynamics improvement.

My guess is reduced weight. The S is such a heavy vehicle, about 1000lbs more than a 3.

I'm assuming the new S should weigh less than a 3 considering its probably going to be made with aluminum again.

I'm hoping for slightly more narrow wheels and less rolling resistance with non performance model S/X.
Offset by the weight of another motor. The pack will be more dense and thus contain more energy.