Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk: Tesla Model S Plaid To Have Structural Battery, 4680 Cells

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TMC Staff

May 19, 2017
And the latest 4680 lithium-ion cells will make up the structure. Elon Musk has confirmed today that the upcoming Tesla Model S Plaid, scheduled for late 2021, will be equipped with the all-new structural battery pack, consisting of the all-new 4680 lithium-ion cells, announced at Tesla Battery Day. Tesla‘s CEO answered Whole Mars Catalog’s question “will plaid s have a...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/10/02/tesla-model-s-plaid-structural-battery/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

Reactions: diplomat33
So this will be a complete redesign on the car. They will need to use the same process as their unicast model y.

I wonder if they will even call it a model s. The s and x were more of an experiment, they have learned so much since then.

They have spoken about the vehicles being considered legacy.

I'm thinking it will keep the two screens but make the MCU a floating design to easier manufacturing and repair.

Anyone else want that battery pic on a T-shirt? All that copper, it is almost hypnotic.

My wild guess is that the ‘S’ that comes out will be a new design combining both some of the current S and X features, and the X will go away. That’s a WAG, but maybe? No falcon wing doors, but maybe the auto open door on approach?

No doubt the new design will be polarizing, but with that kind of performance I suspect many will swallow their apprehension and learn to love it.

Any idea if there’s a downside to putting batteries in the frame (oversimplification but you get the point)?

I'll be 75 by then. Should I think about replacing my 2020 MS Raven Performance with Plaid? Or should I just surrender to old age and try to be a chilled-out, front-porch-sitting, rocking-chair-bound, beer-sipping grandpa?
Get your deposit in! :).

Has there been any word of the number of deposits / orders to date for the Plaid? Maybe this will be announced at the time of the Q-3 earnings report.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
So this will be a complete redesign on the car. They will need to use the same process as their unicast model y.

I wonder if they will even call it a model s. The s and x were more of an experiment, they have learned so much since then.

They have spoken about the vehicles being considered legacy.

I'm thinking it will keep the two screens but make the MCU a floating design to easier manufacturing and repair.

I think it will be recognizable as a model S. Consider the Porsche 911. Considering the importance of SUV, I expect the X will continue too.

So I guess not for standard s and x. Elon commenting on this makes sense since Plaid so much more expensive it would only Osborne the Taycan.

My guess is they had to do enough rework to fit the 2x rear motors it was worthwhile switching to the new battery system at the same time. No doubt S/X will follow in time as they move to 4680 cells everywhere.

I expect a completely new model S unless the return on investment just doesn't justify the investment. I'm sure Tesla would like to rebuild the car from the ground up. I think it would introduce the next gen MCU to drive some significant screen space.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC