TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elon Musk to advise Trump administration

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by Barklikeadog, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

• Like x 3
  2. originalsalt

originalsalt Member

Very interesting development

3. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Elon needs to tout the American designed and made products he has led to production using an American workforce. If I were him I would not even mention climate or energy.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  4. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

The wonderful thing about Tesla is you do not have to believe in human caused climate change to want to order the cars and solar/energy products. They are really just better regardless of environmental benefit, beliefs, or ethics.

• Like x 10
  5. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

Well said. I think a lot of people were stressing out too much a month ago over nothing.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  6. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Well... There are many more issues beyond the survival of Tesla to be concerned about. So I wouldn't say it was "over nothing,", but I'll leave that discussion for another thread.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. SageBrush

SageBrush Active Member

If Musk was the head of the DOE and EPA I would agree with you.

• Like x 6
  8. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Member

My comment was to those who we're lamenting the end to all things electric, solar, etc.

• Like x 3
  9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Of course he should speak out on climate and sustainable energy issues in his new capacity. "Speak truth to power". That is essential.

• Like x 4
  10. Zroiron

Zroiron Poodle Pack Leader

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

It's funny. When I heard about this, that's EXACTLY what crossed my mind. Trump is many things, but he understands wheeling and dealing. No matter what, always keep the information channels open.

12. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

Given all the oil barons in the cabinet, it will certainly be interesting to see how this plays out. Will this just be a token post without any real connection? Will Trump play along and try to spy on Tesla? Will Tesla play along and try to spy on Trump? Will Musk see it as a waste of time and drop out? Will Trump kick Musk out? Will Musk act as an advisor that will be taken into consideration by Trump?

What's most interesting is that the last option would normally seem the most rational, but things are not normal, and I would actually find it to be the most surprising result, should it happen.

13. Boourns

Boourns Member

They are really just better regardless of environmental benefit, beliefs, or ethics facts.

FIFY

• Like x 1
  14. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Almost certainly yes to both.

No, no, and no. Trump and Elon each see each other as influential. "Enemies closer" and all that.

That's the interesting question. It depends on how good Elon is at cowtowing to Trump's ego. Elon is a celebrity in his own right, and Trump loves celebrities - as long as they're not overweight or unattractive women. Elon is certainly smart enough to know that Trump can do a LOT of damage and will likely do his best to keep peace.

Agree.

15. Beckler

Beckler Member

The problem here is that trump is such a despicable person - indisputably and in every way - that I'd find it hard to have anything to do with him. I don't see it happening but Musk should take a stand and just decline.

• Disagree x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. larmor

larmor Active Member

Who will play the role of the Lorax, who will speak for the trees??:(

17. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Yeah, good luck with that. It very well could jeopardize his leverage. I'm a realist; I recognize that some battles are not worth fighting in the current political climate.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  18. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

#18 jbcarioca, Dec 14, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
    I want to avoid useless anti-Trump comments in an effort to get whatever good we can from this Administration.

The Nobel Physics Prize of Steven Chu made him uniquely well-qualified to deal with the nuclear issues that subsume 60% of DOE budget. His qualifications are the sort I'd prefer to see.

We will not have him, we'll have Rick Perry, if he can be confirmed. Despite his grossly unqualified background he does have a positive side. It was he who led the hugely successful push of West Texas into wind power. He also seems to be be interested in science. If so, it is quite possible that he could even become an advocate for some DOE programs.

Anyway Trump likes Musks friend Peter Thiel, that should help. Trump also needs to know how many US jobs Musk has created in the last eight years and how many foreign cars he's displaced. We might ignore the foreign rockets Musk has displaced since a number of them were Russian, but some were French too. Peter ought to know how to position that.

19. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Isn't Musk an adviser to the British government as well?

20. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Musk is part of the humble,voiceless,and powerless yearning to breath free.