Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk to advise Trump administration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you agree poverty sucks? I mean REAL poverty, not US poverty. If lethal poverty doesn't bug you, you're good.

Could you.

Quit.

Give up all worldly possessions.

Live as a homeless beggar in an area with a 35 year old life expectancy?

If so.

Do it.

If not, I guess cast the first stone and pretend you're better than others. Buy an iPhone app that says "I'm better than everybody because I have money!"

I have no idea what you said. I do know what Christopher Hitchen's investigation of MT, as well as others, exposed her as -- and it was not helping the poor, but contributing, quite intensely, to the suffering of the poor. In 1981 when the state of care in her facilities was challenged, by reputable doctors, she said ‘There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering’. There was no proper pain management, meaning people suffered in needless pain while they died. Mother Teresa promoted this suffering as she felt that it was of benefit to suffer in this world for a better life in heaven. With regard to her own medical treatment Mother Teresa received only the best. Although she made public shows of declining free high quality medical treatment she nevertheless had no compunctions about secretly accepting medical care from some of the best institutions in the world including having cataract surgery and having a pace maker installed. These are facts, look them up. They are not ramblings like your post. I could go on and on, like her telling countless people not to use condoms, and contributing to the spread of AIDS and the immense suffering involved which was preventable and is being prevented, despite her repressive beliefs that she preached to the poor and illiterate. I care about the poor and dying and don't like to see them suffering and abused, which has caused me to research this issue. Please do your research and then come back and tell me MT helped the poor.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Kira and pmadflyer
I thought Elon was anti Trump for global warming reasons

download (4).jpeg

but, the person that I've admired for being the potentially "humanity-saving" gamechanger attempting to work with the one who stands for everything that I despise
Surely you would rather have a person you respect advise your 'enemy' than someone you perceive to be aligned with your enemy - if you believe the person you respect has principles.

Smarter to attempt to influence from the inside, than be on the outside. Whatever your position on Elon, it's very hard to argue he isn't smart!

Reactions: bkp_duke and AndreN
Very mixed feelings about this... not to get into murky political waters, but, the person that I've admired for being the potentially "humanity-saving" gamechanger attempting to work with the one who stands for everything that I despise (and who has no intention to do anything good despite all the pretenses)...

If Musk is playing the opprtunist (or pragmatist, some might argue), that's disappointing. There's something to be said for principles.

Have a little faith. There's nothing to suggest Elon is going to change his stripes or spots just because he's had a meeting or will have future meetings with the President-Elect.

One possible benefit of having Elon as a presidential advisor is that those forces that are currently aligned to taking down Tesla and its mission, and who may feel emboldened by Trump's election, may have second thoughts about going full bore against someone who presumably has the president's ear.

In moments like these I am always reminded of the Hedgehog vs. the Fox. Whether Trump and/or Musk is the Fox or the Hedgehog will be for history to tell.

In Life, Who Wins, the Fox or the Hedgehog?

How to Embrace Innovation, Adapt & Thrive

I believe The Economist had a interesting article about this, how certain moments in history favor the Hedgehog or the Fox. They cited how Churchill was like the Hedgehog leading up to and through WWII. If it wasn't for his dogged stance and resolve (and ability to convince others of his position) the world we live in today may have been very different. However, once the war was over, he was out.

There are times which favor the Fox and others which favor the Hedgehog.

I have no idea what you said. I do know what Christopher Hitchen's investigation of MT, as well as others, exposed her as -- and it was not helping the poor, but contributing, quite intensely, to the suffering of the poor. In 1981 when the state of care in her facilities was challenged, by reputable doctors, she said ‘There is something beautiful in seeing the poor accept their lot, to suffer it like Christ’s Passion. The world gains much from their suffering’. There was no proper pain management, meaning people suffered in needless pain while they died. Mother Teresa promoted this suffering as she felt that it was of benefit to suffer in this world for a better life in heaven. With regard to her own medical treatment Mother Teresa received only the best. Although she made public shows of declining free high quality medical treatment she nevertheless had no compunctions about secretly accepting medical care from some of the best institutions in the world including having cataract surgery and having a pace maker installed. These are facts, look them up. They are not ramblings like your post. I could go on and on, like her telling countless people not to use condoms, and contributing to the spread of AIDS and the immense suffering involved which was preventable and is being prevented, despite her repressive beliefs that she preached to the poor and illiterate. I care about the poor and dying and don't like to see them suffering and abused, which has caused me to research this issue. Please do your research and then come back and tell me MT helped the poor.

Ah... I got it. Hate of the Catholic Church. Nuff said, I'm neither Catholic nor Christian, you could have saved time.

Joan of Arc also had her faults, as did those brave Russian helicopter pilots who tried and cover Chernobyl while it was burning.

Hitchen hated Bob Hope and his goal in life was to Kill God, which is odd since he considered God a fictional creature.

And why trash Henry Kissinger?

I think of Hitchen as a vandal. It's much easier to spray nasty words on a building than actually lay bricks. And make no mistake, Hitchen only wanted to the help those called Hitchen. "Missionary Position" for a publication title? Not Classy, Not Professional.

Saying something bad about somebody is a way to make money. Not a good way, just a way.

Last edited:
I do not trust Trump at all. That said, I think it is wise for Elon to do this, at least initially. I am sure that if he finds his views are being ignored or twisted, he will simply and quickly resign the position. That resignation, if it comes, will be much more impactful than a smug refusal to join. I am on the side of pragmatism here, just as Obama has done.

:D You're right I may have exaggerated a bit in that first statement. My later statement was valid tho. But even in that first one, I did intentionally qualify it with 'quasi'. Read it again and you see that even that one is technically correct. (Assuming a reasonable definition of my made-up 'quasi-sociopath' term - something like "displaying some amount of sociopathic traits". But then how would I show that? It's fairly apparent to me in a natural-selection sort of way that it will occur, i.e. this type of career will select for those traits. But if it isn't to you, that's fine. It's opinion to some extent of course, and everyone's entitled to mine.)

Well, I suppose you could also say that professional athletes quasi-obsessive. And you could probably say that a large proportion of top scientists are quasi-Aspergic. If your bar is set at "displaying some traits of" then I think your comments are a bit meaningless.

Yes, successful business people are going to tend to make decisions analytically and dispassionately. And to the extent that that's a sociopathic trait, then I suppose I must agree. If you can't do those things then you won't get that job. But, from the business owners / CEOs that I know extremely well, I can tell you that it's not because they don't care about the consequences of their actions. It's because they have a job to do, and if they fail to do it, the consequences will be worse.

Your characterization of the group as mindlessly greedy, money grubbing, unsympathetic tyrants is way off of the mark. The "alt-left" likes to characterize successful business owners/operators that way, but it's largely a myth. If you ask them about their worst ever days of work, they will almost always tell you about the days that they had to release large groups of people.

Last edited: