Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk to advise Trump administration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem here is that trump is such a despicable person - indisputably and in every way - that I'd find it hard to have anything to do with him. I don't see it happening but Musk should take a stand and just decline.

Then you'd make a poor CEO. EM has a responsibility to shareholders, employees and their families. That requires pragmatism.

Then you'd make a poor CEO. EM has a responsibility to shareholders, employees and their families. That requires pragmatism.

Pretty ironic that we're talking about Musk - the one CEO who doesn't appear at least to be willing to do anything to be successful or do things that would appear to be maximally profitable just because he could - rather he seems to have some integrity and conscience. Standard CEO's OTOH, like most business owners/managers, are quite stupid (and at least quasi-sociopaths); and by pragmatic you just mean doing things that are easy and ostensibly profitable. That's not hard. You need to be a fair bit smarter to have firm ethics and honesty and be successful. Dealing with maximum-scumbag trump isn't in the realm of honesty or integrity. Tesla would get along just fine if Musk ignored him - in fact probably better. Trump, being a vindictive egomaniac however, could retaliate. So that might be your only point - maybe Musk should be pragmatic and just appease.

Reactions: SageBrush
I read that trump wants to get rid of lots of the government run space stuff and move to services like Space-X, which would make sense that he wants to keep Elon nearby. Hopefully, some of the tit-for-tat can trickle down to Tesla.

I think the average 'Merican doesn't even think that Tesla is an American car - because it's not from Detroit it must be foreign and if expensive, probably European.

...those stupid Europeans with their "healthcare and education for everyone" commie attitudes. Sheesh. Nobody wants that. :)

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3
Pretty ironic that we're talking about Musk - the one CEO who doesn't appear at least to be willing to do anything to be successful or do things that would appear to be maximally profitable just because he could - rather he seems to have some integrity and conscience. Standard CEO's OTOH, like most business owners/managers, are quite stupid (and at least quasi-sociopaths); and by pragmatic you just mean doing things that are easy and ostensibly profitable. That's not hard. You need to be a fair bit smarter to have firm ethics and honesty and be successful. Dealing with maximum-scumbag trump isn't in the realm of honesty or integrity. Tesla would get along just fine if Musk ignored him - in fact probably better. Trump, being a vindictive egomaniac however, could retaliate. So that might be your only point - maybe Musk should be pragmatic and just appease.

Well... you have rather bitter perspective on things. If you think that most CEOs and business owners are stupid, then you've not spent a lot of time in their company. Running a successful business is incredibly difficult. And yes it involves making some difficult decisions that some people won't like. I don't judge until I've had a chance to walk a mile in somebody else's shoes.

Being pragmatic does not imply that you behave unethically, or compromise your principles. In Tesla's case it would mean that they have to work with the administration in a way that meets the long term corporate goals. And that may mean some compromise. Tesla is too big of a target for to simply ignore the administration - especially when they have the ear of big auto and big oil. Simply ignoring and crapping all over Trump, as you suggest, would be utterly stupid. And Elon isn't stupid.

Being pragmatic does not imply that you behave unethically, or compromise your principles. In Tesla's case it would mean that they have to work with the administration in a way that meets the long term corporate goals. And that may mean some compromise. Tesla is too big of a target for to simply ignore the administration - especially when they have the ear of big auto and big oil. Simply ignoring and crapping all over Trump, as you suggest, would be utterly stupid. And Elon isn't stupid.

It absolutely implies compromising principles. Doing stuff you don't want to do is the key element of pragmatism.
It's why politicians tend to be pragmatists and why pragmatists can be so dangerous.

Reactions: MarkoC
Elon tried to buy three ICBMs from Russia, so if we're going to bring up the Russian connection, keep that in mind. We also can't forget that Elon knows how to be creative when selling ideas, some claim he's even deceptive. Elon happens to deliver, when it's ready, though.

It absolutely implies compromising principles. Doing stuff you don't want to do is the key element of pragmatism.
It's why politicians tend to be pragmatists and why pragmatists can be so dangerous.

No... it implies defining your targets and doing what is required to get the best possible outcome it relation to those targets. Your targets can including as many high ideals as you wish. Being unwilling to compromise short term (within limits of course), to get a lesser result is just stupid.

In Tesla's case, the targets include displacement of fossil fuels. If your choices are:

a) to keep peace with Trump, don't make a big stink, and to try to sway him when possible in a way to promote Tesla long term.
b) stomp all over the place shouting about how he's an ass, and berating everybody in his administration.

The pragmatist chooses a at the outset. And if it appears, after time, that there is nothing to be gained then you switch.

Last edited:
The problem here is that trump is such a despicable person - indisputably and in every way - that I'd find it hard to have anything to do with him. I don't see it happening but Musk should take a stand and just decline.

You sound like a Republican telling Obama how to deal with Castro. You're so far left, you've met the right wing.

Standard CEO's OTOH, like most business owners/managers, are quite stupid (and at least quasi-sociopaths);

Most business owners/managers are quite stupid and quasi-sociopath? And you're Canadian and anti-Trump? Yikes, I wish I didn't share those last two characteristics with you. You're the Taliban of the left!

Last edited: