Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk tweets software upgrade will increase P85D range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will 6.1 address the range issues on my P85D?

Why do you say "Not yet?"

As far as I can tell, no one with a P85D has the update yet. (I don't think any one here has posted that they have it.) We know that there are different versions of the update, with different feature sets, for cars equipped differently. The cars with the autopilot hardware received the the ACC software, etc. One of the theories being floated, and one that seems to make as much sense as any, is that no P85Ds have received the update yet because Tesla is going to work the "Torque Sleep" range improving software into the 6.1 update.

I'm certainly not saying that they will, but to say 6.1 isn't addressing the issues for P85Ds isn't correct because no one has yet seen 6.1 on a P85D.

Make sense?

Why do you say "Not yet?"

As far as I can tell, no one with a P85D has the update yet. (I don't think any one here has posted that they have it.) We know that there are different versions of the update, with different feature sets, for cars equipped differently. The cars with the autopilot hardware received the the ACC software, etc. One of the theories being floated, and one that seems to make as much sense as any, is that no P85Ds have received the update yet because Tesla is going to work the "Torque Sleep" range improving software into the 6.1 update.

I'm certainly not saying that they will, but to say 6.1 isn't addressing the issues for P85Ds isn't correct because no one has yet seen 6.1 on a P85D.

Make sense?

The 'current' deployed 6.1 that people have received so far does not address the range issue for the 'D' model. Perhaps I should have been more specific than 'Not yet'. But 'not yet' at this moment in time is true to my knowledge.

The 'current' deployed 6.1 that people have received so far does not address the range issue for the 'D' model. Perhaps I should have been more specific than 'Not yet'. But 'not yet' at this moment in time is true to my knowledge.

I understand what you're saying. I would argue that the best answer to the original question which was "Will 6.1 address the range issues on my P85D?" would be "We don't know", since no one has yet seen 6.1 on a P85D, and it is still entirely possible that the model-specific version of 6.1 for P85Ds will, in fact, address the issue. We don't know if it will and we don't know if it won't. "Not yet" makes it sound like the software is out there, but not yet addressing the range issues.

I'm really not trying to argue semantics. I'm just trying to both clarify, and explain why I felt the need to jump in in the first place,

- - - Updated - - -

Agree. They seemed to indicate it was a separate update to fix this issue. Not 6.1.

They did? Where?

All I've seen written about it is what JB Straubel said in the blog. That was: "The software update to implement torque sleep will be downloaded to the dual motor fleet by the end of January 2015 and will substantially improve the range of dual motor vehicles by roughly 10%."

No where in that statement is there any indication that the software update would come separately from other updates. All that Straubel said was that it would be downloaded to the dual motor fleet by the end of January 2015.

I understand what you're saying. I would argue that the best answer to the original question which was "Will 6.1 address the range issues on my P85D?" would be "We don't know", since no one has yet seen 6.1 on a P85D, and it is still entirely possible that the model-specific version of 6.1 for P85Ds will, in fact, address the issue. We don't know if it will and we don't know if it won't. "Not yet" makes it sound like the software is out there, but not yet addressing the range issues.

I'm really not trying to argue semantics. I'm just trying to both clarify, and explain why I felt the need to jump in in the first place,

- - - Updated - - -

They did? Where?

All I've seen written about it is what JB Straubel said in the blog. That was: "The software update to implement torque sleep will be downloaded to the dual motor fleet by the end of January 2015 and will substantially improve the range of dual motor vehicles by roughly 10%."

No where in that statement is there any indication that the software update would come separately from other updates. All that Straubel said was that it would be downloaded to the dual motor fleet by the end of January 2015.

It isn't in the release notes that this issue is addressed. I would think if they added what you are looking for it would be highlighted. Sure, maybe it is part of 6.1 but doesn't appear to be. We will know for sure soon but given that we are not at the end of January yet I would think Tesla is working on that separately.

It isn't in the release notes that this issue is addressed. I would think if they added what you are looking for it would be highlighted. Sure, maybe it is part of 6.1 but doesn't appear to be. We will know for sure soon but given that we are not at the end of January yet I would think Tesla is working on that separately.

The release notes we've seen have been specific to the hardware available on the cars.

The first 6.1 release notes posted didn't make any reference to the cruise control stuff because that car didn't have the autopilot hardware. It was only after a car with autopilot hardware received the update that we saw a version of the release notes that talked about that. You can see what I'm talking about if you scroll through the early pages of the 6.1 thread.

I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right. I'm just pointing out that the release notes aren't a relevant factor, since if they do include the torque sleep software in the P85D version of 6.1, they would just also add the appropriate release notes, as they have already been doing with other hardware-specific versions of 6.1.

The release notes haven't been uniform across all cars with 6.1. The first set I saw posted this morning didn't mention the Traffic Aware Cruise Control. And no it's not because they left out the page that had it. It's a top line item that just doesn't show if the vehicle doesn't have Autopilot sensors. If they have the capability to differentiate the release notes like that then I find it hard to believe they wouldn't do it for an issue only effecting Dual Motor vehicles.