Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Musk vs. Short sellers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing would please me more than if the actual catalyst for Elon's '3 weeks till short positions explode' text was that 3 weeks just happened to be the timing for the Tesla vs. Chanos case that will be brought to court with all evidence proving that Chanos had funded a massive smear campaign through all facets of the media in an effort to sink Tesla's stock price........similar to the Fairfax case that @jesselivenomore shared. It would take deep pockets and thick skin to undertake such an effort - both of which Elon has - because such an effort would be spun at first in a horribly false manner since it appears a large percentage of our media sources were willing to take dirty money to spread FUD. Thus, they would 'work' hard to protect themselves in the beginning. But this would be a HUGE house of cards, like the German emissions scandal. And once the first media outlet fell the remaining would topple - from CNBC all the way down to Lora Kolostomy. And our nation and the world would benefit, and even those playing this dirty game know it to be true and long overdue.
Thanks @jesselivenomore !

Thanks Elon! This is my greatest wish for the Short Squeeze catalyst, as mentioned in a previous post.

Elon Musk suspects reporter bribed Tesla employee on behalf of rich TSLA short

I listened to the podcast version of the OP and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Elon Musk vs. Short Sellers - Interview with Professional Trader Jesselivenomore (07.04.18) - TechCast Daily

However, one thing that surprised me was that Jesse or Rob Maurer seems unaware of Matt Taibbi !! Have you not heard of the Goldman Sachs being referred to as the Vampire Squid? IMHO, he wrote a financial article with the most memorable first paragraph takedown of a Wall st bank. LOL

The Great American Bubble Machine – Rolling Stone

Just wanted to say Thank You for all your efforts on Twitter in the last few hours to fight FUD with facts @SPadival . Very commendable effort and sincerely appreciated.

Wow, pretty scary stuff. I really, REALLY hope that Elon and the litigation team at Tesla go after this crap. Somehow these strong arm tactics have to be called out.
Thanks for the "call out" of "fake news" or "strong arm tactics" or FearUncertaintyAndDoubt or what ever we call this

And why is it that many don't trust the main stream press ??
I'm guessing they better get the Internet under control soon, or no one will believe them.
Feds and even States (see California) are trying to give corporations more control over what you can see and read about on the Net.
Transparency

I've given three test rides today in my model 3. I haven't taken ANYONE for a ride that doesn't want one.
Soon the number of owner opinions will far outweigh whatever the press has to say, negative or positive,
and the free market will take it's course.
I'll be giving 3 test rides this weekend, one to a new neighbor who has a BMW 3-series, and told me about how there is some lag time when he hits the accelerator. I can't wait to say "now put your head back … " :)

Fire breaks out at BMW car factory in southern Germany

Do you think Lopez@Business Insider who is apparently an expert in automobile plant fires will report on this?

FWIW: It’s quite possible that the German ownership of BI is quite happy with the attacks on Tesla (German economy is very heavily dependent on the auto industry)

Also, a key module used by BMW for their advanced cruise control has been in short supply since their supplier’s plant burnt down. I heard that from a BMW dealer last month.

To your point, no article on that....

I'll be giving 3 test rides this weekend, one to a new neighbor who has a BMW 3-series, and told me about how there is some lag time when he hits the accelerator. I can't wait to say "now put your head back … " :)
I have an E-Class Diesel. The lag time is so bad it's unsafe. Imagine you want to overtakes a car and it takes a second before accelleration. I'm at the point where I almost never overtake others because it's unsafe.

I'm not even sure if it's the technology (turbo lag) of if they do this on purpose. My other car is of similar weight but half the power and doesn't have this annoying behaviour.

I have an E-Class Diesel. The lag time is so bad it's unsafe. Imagine you want to overtakes a car and it takes a second before accelleration. I'm at the point where I almost never overtake others because it's unsafe.

I'm not even sure if it's the technology (turbo lag) of if they do this on purpose. My other car is of similar weight but half the power and doesn't have this annoying behaviour.

That’s due to turbo lag. Depending on the year of the car, the boost control system could need maintenance. Lots of info on the Mercedes diesel forums.

But yeah, to that first ride in a Tesla is like your first ride on one of those magnetic propulsion rollercoasters. Most people have never experienced instant torque and acceleration in an automobile, so it’s a memorable and eye-opening experience. The driving experience sells itself; all that’s needed is a test drive/ride. :)

Yep. But I hope something even better happens - some big hedge fund managers who followed Chanos into the short trade, listens to the podcast & go “WTF!! Why am I following Chanos??”

And thanks everyone. It was a team effort.

Good work @SPadival and others. Tip of the hat (multiple tips) if you can connect the bread crumbs to Chanos. The effort to root out NDA violators/poor 'journalist' and the people who pay them is noble and needed.

Most CEO's would not start a car company or tell the thiefs at wall street to go jump in a lake.
Most CEO's are concerned with "shareholder Value" or how high Goldman Sachs say they should jump.

It is amazing we have a CEO who is focused on delivering a superior product and not pleasing the puppet masters.

Mod: edited for expletives. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. But I hope something even better happens - some big hedge fund managers who followed Chanos into the short trade, listens to the podcast & go “WTF!! Why am I following Chanos??”

And thanks everyone. It was a team effort.

The interesting aspect to #crookedchanos is that, for him, this really isn’t about money. Sure, his firm has a short position on TSLA but it’s relatively small compared to the larger firms. For him, it’s his reputation he’s protecting. That is why Tesla HAS to be a bad investment, because he sais it was, multiple multiple times. If Tesla succeeds that means Chanos was wrong and shorts and hedge firms won’t follow his advice any more. The pressure on him to be right is enormous, which is why he’s gotten more desperate with influence Lopez. Now of course there will be no direct evidence FYI g him to that dirty work, but the connection is obvious. In my mind, this situation is similar to the downfall of Elizabeth whatshername at Theranos Pharma. The pressure on her to succeed and become the Valley’s first female billionaire founder was enormous. At first her aims were true but then she strayed, them lied, and then lied to cover the first lie, and then it spiraled to all out fraud. The same thing is happening here. First Chanos made a bet on Solar City, that went bust so he doubled down on Tesla.

This will all unravel for him when: 1) the tens of thousands of new Model 3 owners start raving about their new car and the volume of +1s are so high they can’t be ignored, 2) mainstream media moves on to the next crisis worthy of click bait revenue and the Tesla drama has run its course, 3) Tesla’s lawsuit against Tripp and related discovery starts to show the truth, 4) Tesla becomes profitable in 3Q and therefore not beholden to capital markets, and 5) hedge funds realize Chanos was wrong and start to unwind their short positions before their losses get worse.

Good to see that the media is picking up on what they read here:

(...) Chanos figures prominently in Matt Taibbi’s 2014 book, The Divide: American Injustice in the Age of the Wealth Gap. A recent series of posts on the Tesla Motors Club forum argues that Chanos and other shorts are following a tried-and-true playbook that they’ve used to attack other companies in the past. (...)

It would be helpful to shed more light on the connection and the playbook they are following to make the public aware about a huge orchestrated big dollar attempt to bring a company down because of greed by using misinformation and misleading of the public opinion beside other fishy if not illegal technics.

Jim Chanos’s Anti-Tesla Short Seller Arguments Debunked (Video) | CleanTechnica

Good to see that the media is picking up on what they read here:

The viewership must be off the charts as Elon liked/retweeted that CleanTechnica article.

Elon is his own media empire. He does not need the mainstream media. They need him to get the clicks in !! What he needs is publications/podcats like CleanTechnica, Hyperchange TV, TeslaDaily etc. (and TMC of course!) who are honest and make their biases known to the audience.

IMHO, shorts picked the wrong billionaire to go after (with assistance from click bait media). Some are still hopeful though.

S Padival on Twitter