TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Elon Musk Warns Of Fracking Dangers

Discussion in 'Video' started by Luclyluciano, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

#1 Luclyluciano, Jan 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  2. geturchiru

geturchiru Member

From what I understand, he is concerned about the environment damage that causes because of fracking which can be stopped by making cheaper EVs that reduces oil usage and thus reduces the need for fracking.

3. Electric700

Electric700 Member

This is a perfect time to highlight all of the benefits EVs offer:

1. Zero cost to run/charge with Superchargers, or at home with solar/wind.
    2. When charging from the grid, EVs are less expensive to run than ICE cars, even with the current low average price of fuel.
    3. Fast acceleration, Ferrari fast (with the Tesla Model S P85D).
    4. No oil filters, oil, or transmission maintenance.
    5. Wireless charging, which Tesla might introduce (e.g. such as by partnering with Plugless Power, Learn More - Plugless Power).
    6. No emissions. Runners beside the road will thank you.
    7. Silent drive.
    8. No contributions to hostile governments and other organizations through oil revenue.
    9. More storage space with the Tesla Model S frunk. No other car has this.

I'm sure there are other benefits :biggrin:.

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

5. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Mod Note: title updated to reflect actual video..

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

We now have weekly earthquakes in DFW thanks to fracking.

7. K5ING

K5ING MegaMiler

Are you sure it's not just God's revenge for moving the Cowboys? :)

* For non-DFW people....all of the quakes in the DFW area have been centered almost exactly on the site of the original Cowboys Stadium.

8. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

Interesting how my thread title was reworded to be less threatening. I don't think that was a good idea. Makes me wonder what else is being edited on these forums.

9. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Need tin foil.....

10. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

I thought the TMC was the above board forum out of the two but it's becoming obvious its not. I know they reserve the right to edit etc. but for those wondering what I am talking about, my thread title was exactly the same as the media titles which read......

ELON MUSK WARNS FRACKING THREATENS EV/TESLA MOVEMENT.

Councidentally, I placed an order on a red P85D. I have to admit when I see CENSORSHIP like this it makes me wonder what I just did and leaves a very sour feeling in my stomach.

11. davecolene0606

FUD for what it is

So, yea the headline said that, but Elon did not, rather, he said the danger in fracking is that it increases the accessible amount of hydrocarbons that we can burn and therefore further threatens the potential for climate change and that by increasing the supply it decreases financial pressure as a reason to go to sustainable transport, so it's even more important to make EV's compelling for more just the "expensive gas" reason.

So if you wanted to tweek interest by replicating a FUD headline vs add to a factual discussion, mission accomplished.
    But I would'nt worry about the censors.

By the thanks for pointing to yet another incredible news source for info on Tesla!

12. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

So TMC does something you do not like which has you rethinking a purchase from TM??? That just does not make sense.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The media article headline you quoted did not accurately represent what Elon said. The edited thread title is an improvement.

Your recent order of a P85D -- and congratulations on that wise choice -- has no meaningful relationship to a TMC moderator editing the title of this thread.

14. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Fracking has been going on for years. What does it have to do with very recent oil price collapse?

I thought the Saudis (OPEC) decided to arbitrarily collapse prices as a means to teach Russia a much needed lesson and also to help limit the oil incentive to rebels in Af-Iranistan.
    --

15. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Lucly, to me, it's a bit of a "slippery slope" when you object (in the name of censorship) to an item or article which is obviously incorrect...the moral side of me that abhors censorship would take a back seat to correcting an obviously incorrect article...leaving an article like this uncorrected muddies the waters of truth...

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

It is related to the recent oil price drop because it is one of the contributors to the recent increase in oil production which has caused an oversupply which then caused a price decrease. However, as is often the case, there are multiple factors that have caused the price decrease. Fracking is only one of them.

I share Elon's concern about fracking.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

It is not "censorship" to correct a clearly wrong and misleading thread title. (FWIW I'm not the mod who changed it.)

18. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Member

A couple years ago, U.S. electricity was 43% coal. Then, in '12, fracking helped take the twice as carbon-intense fuel down to 37% of our mix. From abut 4,000TWH of U.S. consumption, a good 120 million tons of CO2 fell off our emissions. That's "millions of tons", not the "thousands of pounds" you often see people and businesses cheer about. I think of that magnitude, before weighing how much to take the fight to fracking. The practical effect of fracking bans, in many areas, would be to increase coal consumption, not just doubling the CO2, but bringing out the mercury along with it (the same stuff the Supreme Court recently announced it might re-consider allowing).

Electric cars going from gasoline, to natural gas fired electricity, achieve a similar "cut in half". Another reason that, in light of the progress being made, I think anti-frack fervor can be short sighted. Elon was talking about what it is doing in a vacuum, without the moving parts.