Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes there are under-performing employees. It's like relationships/friendships, if you have the occasional "friend" run for the hills, it's probably them. If your track record is a long trail of failed relationships (of all kinds), it's probably you. If your a manager and it seems all the employees are under-performing, maybe it's management expectations?
Agree. I do believe Tesla sets the expectations bar very high. But there are also a few (2-8%) very smart people. I don't see a problem with this though as long as the expectations are thoroughly communicated before hiring.

In this way if you try to be someone you are not at the interviews and somehow get hired being underqualified, the employee can only blame him/herself.

I have some experience with this myself. Last year we were in urgent need of a very skilled software developer because of a difficult task we had. We hired someone with a good CV and that claimed to be extremely good at development. We made it very clear that the bar for this job is high because of the difficult task and explained what the task was about. Then after employment even simple programming concepts like the difference between passing by value or by reference was a huge challenge to grasp. The task became impossible for him, we stopped after 2 weeks. Even when he basically lied himself to a job he clearly couldn't perform, the story became that the management were the bad guys. Lots of feelings get whirled up in situations like this and things get said.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've lately been reading General McChrystal's take on Walt Disney in his book "Leaders: Myth & Reality"

Elon is very similar, I think, to Walt. Both were visionaries who had ideas that would make a complete paradigm shift in their chosen areas. Walt worked hard to provide and create a workplace that had the best light, the most comfortable chairs etc for working, but the wages were low, and the expectations for overtime and production rates against a need for perfection and speed were astronomically high.

He would reward the cream of the crop but actually came to a point where the lower echelons of the company all went on strike because they felt they were being maligned. Poor Walt couldn't understand how they would betray him. Did they not believe in the cause? Were they not working in jobs that hadn't even existed until he created the tech and the demand? Why didn't they understand?

Walt's brother Roy was one of the stabilising influences in the company as he desperately tried to balance the debt levels, income-streams, staff relations and public perception/media against Walt's world-changing gambles. And Walt did not really appreciate Roy's alarm about the money issues.

After the strike, Walt turned much of the Disney Studios production over to Roy (which turned it into the corporate megalith it is today) and started WED with a small team he trusted, of die-hard followers who would put in the overtime to change the world. This time an idea about a magical new theme park.

Perhaps there are some lessons to be learned here.

Roy was essentially the COO who made company operations smooth. Tim Cook did the same thing with Apple. In many companies that have grown from small start ups to major corporations over the last 20 years, we know few of the top management. Largely because they just get on with running the company and don't draw a lot of attention.

Most people who know who Jeff Bezos know him for things other than his founding and running of Amazon. Can anyone else name another corporate officer there without looking it up? I can't.

Same thing with Google. People who really know the biz know that it was founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin and one of their sister-in-laws founded 23 And Me, but I don't recall which one at the moment, and I don't recall which one is the CEO.

A company can grow fast without drama, Elon just doesn't know how to do it.

Agree. I do believe Tesla sets the expectations bar very high. But there are also a few (2-8%) very smart people. I don't see a problem with this though as long as the expectations are thoroughly communicated before hiring.

In this way if you try to be someone you are not at the interviews and somehow get hired being underqualified, the employee can only blame him/herself.

I have some experience with this myself. Last year we were in urgent need of a very skilled software developer because of a difficult task we had. We hired someone with a good CV and that claimed to be extremely good at development. We made it very clear that the bar for this job is high because of the difficult task and explained what the task was about. Then after employment even simple programming concepts like the difference between passing by value or by reference was a huge challenge to grasp. The task became impossible for him, we stopped after 2 weeks. Even when he basically lied himself to a job he clearly couldn't perform, the story became that the management were the bad guys. Lots of feelings get whirled up in situations like this and things get said.

This is happening a lot in the US, but I think it is also happening all over the world to some extent. Many of the Millennials and younger (some call it Gen Z) have been raised with only positive feedback and trying not to wound the poor kids that younger people report self esteem higher than any previous generations, but on measures of their skills, they fall behind. Quite a few resumes these days have a lot of false claims.

Tesla's sweat shop atmosphere is keeping away a number of people who could help the company. Ben Sullins who is a numbers guy and worked in many high tech companies has a YouTube channel called Teslanomics. I've seen a few of his videos and he's made the point that while he would like to help Tesla, it's too dysfunctional of an environment for him. After being in the tech trenches and experiencing a number of dysfunctional companies first hand, he's unwilling to do it again.

I'm much the same way. I have skills Tesla could use, I've worked much of my career as an embedded programmer and have a degree in Electronic Engineering. I'd love to rip into their infotainment system and fix it, but the price is too high. And I don't want to move back to California. I live in a wonderful part of the world with a nice peaceful environment and I can telecommute to California without leaving home.

Like Ben Sullins, I've worked in a number of companies and experienced everything from paralyzing dysfunction to smooth operations. The companies with smoother operations ultimately got the most productivity out of their employees.

As an Apple shareholder and a Tesla enthusiast, I'm still going to say no thanks. ;)

As a Tesla shareholder I say no way I'd want that to happen. As a long time Apple device user I don't care what they do anymore. The Apple we knew has already died.

Edit: Think about it I still own a few shares of Apple stock after sold most of it. Couldn't care about where it goes either.

Reactions: CarlK and abasile
So Apple should buy Tesla and make Elon the CEO of Apple/Tesla and move Tim Cook to COO to move production along....

As an Apple shareholder, Tesla shareholder and a Tesla owner, I think it would be great if they put the two companies together. Win-win, as they say.

However, it will not happen while Musk owns 22.5% of the company. His goal is not jacking the stock price. He's been very clear about the plan and it hasn't changed: Master Plan, Part Deux

Selling to Apple means the plan failed.

I'm much the same way. I have skills Tesla could use, I've worked much of my career as an embedded programmer and have a degree in Electronic Engineering. I'd love to rip into their infotainment system and fix it, but the price is too high. And I don't want to move back to California. I live in a wonderful part of the world with a nice peaceful environment and I can telecommute to California without leaving home.

Like Ben Sullins, I've worked in a number of companies and experienced everything from paralyzing dysfunction to smooth operations. The companies with smoother operations ultimately got the most productivity out of their employees.

Gotta agree. I'm in the position which Warren Buffett describes most of Berkshire Hathaway's managers as being in: I don't have to work. (I live off investments!) I would certainly love to help Tesla, but not under those working conditions. I don't have to and I'm not going to make my health worse. Buffett explains that he has to keep those guys happy because they can quit at any time...

Tesla has MANY enemies that want Tesla to fail. Much more so than Amazon and Google ever has.

Shorts, oil companies, ICE car companies, dealer associations, media rely on advertising money, right-wingers associate Tesla to greenies, those who are jealous at anyone who is smarter than them... Just to name a few. :(

Elon definitely brought on some things himself no doubt. But If that’s what comes with the package, so be it.

People were attacking him long before the tweet or Joe Rogan interview where that playful puff was reported totally out of context by the media. Elon would have been eaten alive if he has played nice anyway. He was bullied often when he was a young nerdy kid but he fought back when he became a teenager and determined that he'd never let people to bully him again. That's actually a significant turning point of his life.

Last edited:
Elon was in Flint, Michigan briefly today (less than 12 hours total).
He came out to talk to a group of Flint school children, pass out laptops to each one, and invite 2 from each school to tour SpaceX.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk surprises Flint students with visit, laptops
Laptops were from his >$400k donation last year
Elon Musk gives over $400K to buy laptops for Flint students

Nice gesture, but many of those laptops will be listed on eBay next week.
There are better ways to promote STEM education and development... :cool:

Elon interviewed yesterday by Lex Fridman, the MIT AI researcher. Worth watching, in think - particularly near the end.

That guy has to be the single most impersonable guy on the planet. I think he read about how to talk to ppl in one of his engineering books...

p.s. This forum doesn't recognize impersonable as a word.... interesting...

My take is that he tries very hard to show no emotion or enthusiasm. I bet he wants to be known as the most impartial person, and being impersonable goes along with that.

I think he is trying to act like an AI or Robot to further his career.

I wonder if he is a good poker player...

Status
Not open for further replies.