Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My take is that he tries very hard to show no emotion or enthusiasm. I bet he wants to be known as the most impartial person, and being impersonable goes along with that.

I think he is trying to act like an AI or Robot to further his career.

I wonder if he is a good poker player...
The closest approximation to an unbiased researcher. (What other reason could there be for not owning Tesla (either the car or the stock))

My take is that he tries very hard to show no emotion or enthusiasm. I bet he wants to be known as the most impartial person, and being impersonable goes along with that.

I think he is trying to act like an AI or Robot to further his career.

I wonder if he is a good poker player...

Yeah I got that sense as well. I found it funny tho, I think his emotions betrayed him in spots. I think he was somewhat in awe/nervous around Elon, and this came through. Additionally I think he absolutely loved the topic/conversation, and was trying super hard to remain robot like. His inner geek would have loved to expand upon the simulation segment, but he restrained himself, or possibly edited that portion. I thought it was funny when the guy mentioned Elon quoted his research paper abstract in a tweet, and said something like "not sure how much of our paper you saw" and Elon immediately replied with "yeah I read it". Really took the guy aback.

Yeah I got that sense as well. I found it funny tho, I think his emotions betrayed him in spots. I think he was somewhat in awe/nervous around Elon, and this came through. Additionally I think he absolutely loved the topic/conversation, and was trying super hard to remain robot like. His inner geek would have loved to expand upon the simulation segment, but he restrained himself, or possibly edited that portion. I thought it was funny when the guy mentioned Elon quoted his research paper abstract in a tweet, and said something like "not sure how much of our paper you saw" and Elon immediately replied with "yeah I read it". Really took the guy aback.

I think you are absolutely right. I listened to a few of his deep learning MIT class lectures about a year ago end he was much more animated and, frankly, normal. He did seem awfully stiff here, but then how would you act if you were interviewing a god?

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
I think he might be like me. I have never gotten "people". My wife claim's I have "a touch of the Asperger's". I have had quite a few conversations over this lifetime where people get very upset and I am told I am emotionless. It doesn't feel unusual on the inside, but enough people have commented about my affect that I feel uncomfortable talking to others. Thank goodness for the Internet

-Randy

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
I think he might be like me. I have never gotten "people". My wife claim's I have "a touch of the Asperger's". I have had quite a few conversations over this lifetime where people get very upset and I am told I am emotionless. It doesn't feel unusual on the inside, but enough people have commented about my affect that I feel uncomfortable talking to others. Thank goodness for the Internet

-Randy

I'm the opposite. I've been told I'm "fluffier" in person.

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
Elon Musk first tweeted the picture as a joke, but then went a step further by replacing his Twitter avatar with the image of the farmyard animal.

This did not sit right with the sheep photo's owners, the Museum of English Rural Life, which soon made a change of its own.

Now visitors to its Twitter page will be greeted with Musk's smiling face.

Musk is known for participating in running jokes and slang online, such as previously asking Twitter users for their "dankest memes" and releasing a rap song about Harambe, the gorilla shot dead in a US zoo who then became a social media touchstone.

And he has been enjoying his time as a sheep by replying to genuine Tesla car customers with oblique sheep puns to thank them for their purchases.

Likewise, the Museum of English Rural Life regularly joins in with internet humour, and has used its time as Musk to tweet jokes about "electric sheep called Teslewe".

<snip>
Full article at:
Museum becomes Musk after stolen sheep snap

Apologies if this has already been posted. I've not been following this thread.

From this page: Elon Musk to investors: Self-driving will make Tesla a $500 billion company

Musk confidently told investors on the call that autonomous driving will transform Tesla into a company with a $500 billion market cap, these people said. Its current market cap stands around $42 billion. He also said that existing Teslas will increase in value as self-driving capabilities are added via software, and will be worth up to $250,000 within three years.

This makes no sense unless he is suggesting that new cars with FSD will sell for significantly more than $250,000, making used FSD cars worth that much. A used Tesla with FSD is never going to be worth more than a new Tesla with FSD.

I'm a big fan of Elon Musk for what he has accomplished, and because my Model 3 is the best car that's ever been built and I love it and I love EAP; and I loved my Roadster before that. But the statement above is illogical. Unless he plans to charge $300,000 for driverless cars when they finally become available.

-Randy
Don't worry Randy, we like you, and next time someone says you are emotionless, just start laughing uncontrollably and say something like "holy crap! That's what my mom says whenever I'm bathing her!"

From this page: Elon Musk to investors: Self-driving will make Tesla a $500 billion company

This makes no sense unless he is suggesting that new cars with FSD will sell for significantly more than $250,000, making used FSD cars worth that much. A used Tesla with FSD is never going to be worth more than a new Tesla with FSD.

I'm a big fan of Elon Musk for what he has accomplished, and because my Model 3 is the best car that's ever been built and I love it and I love EAP; and I loved my Roadster before that. But the statement above is illogical. Unless he plans to charge $300,000 for driverless cars when they finally become available.

Ask yourself: When was the last time Elon was illogical?

Yeah, I can’t think of a time either. So you’re missing something.

So Elon is claiming used Teslas are going to be selling for $250K in a few years? How much are new ones going to be selling for? That's ridiculous. Unless there is going to be such a rush for new Teslas used ones will be selling for premiums, but I doubt that. Even if they do, the premium will be small.

Another factor in all this is the legal framework. He's banking on jurisdictions allowing driverless cars on public roads sometime in the near future. Even if FSD is done in a month and rolls out to the Tesla fleet, it may be 10 years or maybe never that the law allows fully self driving cars on the streets with nobody sitting by to take over. And if vehicles still require someone in the driver's seat, even if they aren't doing anything 99% of the time, that completely eliminates the cost savings to companies for self driving vehicles because they still need to pay someone to sit there.

There will likely be a large spate of self driving vehicle accidents because the drivers get so bored, they quit paying attention and when the vehicle does get into trouble, they will be too zoned out to react.

One piece of information that is still missing is how much Tesla will sell the car, or more appropriately the FSD option, in the future. Any financial person would tell you to price what the market will bear. We'll see what the market will bear.

So Elon is claiming used Teslas are going to be selling for $250K in a few years? How much are new ones going to be selling for? That's ridiculous. Unless there is going to be such a rush for new Teslas used ones will be selling for premiums, but I doubt that. Even if they do, the premium will be small.

Another factor in all this is the legal framework. He's banking on jurisdictions allowing driverless cars on public roads sometime in the near future. Even if FSD is done in a month and rolls out to the Tesla fleet, it may be 10 years or maybe never that the law allows fully self driving cars on the streets with nobody sitting by to take over. And if vehicles still require someone in the driver's seat, even if they aren't doing anything 99% of the time, that completely eliminates the cost savings to companies for self driving vehicles because they still need to pay someone to sit there.

There will likely be a large spate of self driving vehicle accidents because the drivers get so bored, they quit paying attention and when the vehicle does get into trouble, they will be too zoned out to react.

I don't believe the permitting will be a big problem. Driverless cars will be safer. And Tesla will not be the only company with driverless technology. Once the technology has shown itself to be significantly safer than human drivers, the lobbyists for all the big car companies and all the insurance companies will be working together to get the laws passed and it will happen overnight.

The real delay, and the reason Elon is so completely wrong here, is that it will take years longer than he claims to bring the technology to maturity. Features and capability will increase little by little and it will take time. If anyone can bring this to fruition it's Elon. But it will take him closer to a decade than to six months.

With regard to your last sentence, a self-driving car does not require a driver. You're describing EAP, which we have now, and there has not been a "large spate of accidents" because 99.99% of drivers understand that these are not self-driving cars.

One piece of information that is still missing is how much Tesla will sell the car, or more appropriately the FSD option, in the future. Any financial person would tell you to price what the market will bear. We'll see what the market will bear.

Elon has already started testing the market.. Tesla increases price of Full Self-Driving in move to make its cars ’appreciating assets’

upload_2019-5-3_19-45-31.png

I'll wait until the FSD package has features I actually want.

My wish list: Reliably stoping for stop signs, red lights, and of course pedestrians; and safely avoiding small obstacles on the road; and doing both without phantom stops. I think this is 2 to 3 years away at least. If the above function at Level 3 (eyes off the road) I'll pay the $5K.

I think that reliable NAV on AP on city streets at Level 3 (driver still required, but constant attention to the road not required) is at least a decade away, though it might not be long between that and Level 4 (take a nap in the back seat). That's because I don't see a lot of difference between reading a book in the driver's seat and taking a nap in the back seat.

Elon can do this if anybody can and maybe his outrageous chrono-optimism is necessary for taking on such a task, but this is at least a decade away.

That's because I don't see a lot of difference between reading a book in the driver's seat and taking a nap in the back seat.
Physical seating orientation is still going to be an issue, I think. Unless you're talking about sitting upright in the back seat with your seatbelt properly positioned during the nap, you're going to be at a much greater risk for injury in an accident. A slightly reclined driver or passenger seat might be the more comfortable and secure option at that point. I think accidents are still going to happen, even if they're significantly reduced over time.

Physical seating orientation is still going to be an issue, I think. Unless you're talking about sitting upright in the back seat with your seatbelt properly positioned during the nap, you're going to be at a much greater risk for injury in an accident. A slightly reclined driver or passenger seat might be the more comfortable and secure option at that point. I think accidents are still going to happen, even if they're significantly reduced over time.

Very good point. Taking a nap in the back seat will require seats designed to provide as much protection in a crash as regular seats do now. I think this will be a fairly easy problem to solve, but is one more reason why a car designed with EAP in mind will not upgrade easily to Level 4 or 5. I suppose a car that does not allow napping could still qualify for Level 5 certification, but I predict that the 2030 Tesla Model 7 with true self-driving will have, or at least will be optionally available with, sleeping seats.

I also predict that by then the statistics will be so overwhelming that nobody but flat-earthers will think that it's better to drive your own car than to let your car do the driving.

I'll wait until the FSD package has features I actually want.

My wish list: Reliably stoping for stop signs, red lights, and of course pedestrians; and safely avoiding small obstacles on the road; and doing both without phantom stops. I think this is 2 to 3 years away at least. If the above function at Level 3 (eyes off the road) I'll pay the $5K.

It won’t be 5k with the features you want. It’ll be a lot more. That’s the whole point.

Status
Not open for further replies.