Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's a bit creepy... I feel sorry for children these days, forced to have their childhoods fully documented on social media.

Still, good luck to them both and I hope Elon is ready for the many sleepless nights coming in the next few months!

I feel sorry for children these days, forced to have their childhoods fully documented on social media.
Only some children. My kids haven't been posted on any social media platform (not even here, which is really the one place I contribute). And even my 13-year old isn't logged into any social media. I'm not a fan of most of it, and agree with some psychologists that it may be revealed as the "nicotine of our era".

• Love
Reactions: pilotSteve
I haven't seen anything specifically from Elon, but he might be proposing building arcologies
Arcology - Wikipedia

Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle wrote a book centered on an arcology:
Oath of Fealty (novel) - Wikipedia

Elon grew up devouring science fiction. I wouldn't be surprised if he read everything Niven had written before Elon went off to college.
As someone who has been to Paolo Santi's Arcosanti several times, including taking a dedicated urban planner to it, I cringe.

As someone who has been to Paolo Santi's Arcosanti several times, including taking a dedicated urban planner to it, I cringe.

It is a little rich for someone who can afford to live in a giant house on a very large lot in West Los Angeles that people should live in very concentrated cites.

According to this article:
Hippies have taken over the 'city of the future' in an Arizona desert

There are other utopia city projects around the world that are more advanced, but ultimately all are probably doomed to failure. All prescriptive utopias are. I read a book last year called Utopia for Realists
https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Reali...ords=utopia+for+realist&qid=1579130938&sr=8-1

I think it's where Andrew Yang got his ideas. He points out at the beginning of the book that we live in the utopian dream of the Middle Ages. There were several documented and what people had in these utopias is much what we have today: almost unlimited rich food, much more freedom from disease, etc. But people are just as emotionally miserable now as they were then. He goes into detail why. Prescriptive utopias (creating some kind of ideal community) is pretty much tilting at windmills in the long run.

Must watch for Elon aficionados. If you'e been following Elon, 80% of this is going to be a rehash, but there is 20% in here that is solid gold with lots of new biographical information and more detail. Many parts made me laugh out loud too. I watched it while filing paperwork and stopped when it got interesting and informative. Well worth it.

Fascinating podcast interview of Jim Keller, the legendary chip architect that also happened to design Tesla’s AI chip. The whole interview is mind blowing for different reasons. Anyways, here’s a paraphrase from it: “Imagine that 99% of your thought processes is protecting your self image and that 98% of that self image is wrong. That’s what working for Elon is like”

Btw, Jim Keller is a very smart guy. For him to feel like that working with Elon ... well Elons got to be on a different planet intellectually...

Fascinating podcast interview of Jim Keller, the legendary chip architect that also happened to design Tesla’s AI chip. The whole interview is mind blowing for different reasons. Anyways, here’s a paraphrase from it: “Imagine that 99% of your thought processes is protecting your self image and that 98% of that self image is wrong. That’s what working for Elon is like”

Btw, Jim Keller is a very smart guy. For him to feel like that working with Elon ... well Elons got to be on a different planet intellectually...

There are different types of intelligence. It sounds like Keller's genius is in the nuts and bolts of engineering new silicon. Elon's is he's a visionary. He's more like Steve Jobs or Nikola Tesla, his vision of the possible future is way beyond what even an army of talented people can do in a short time.

There are different types of intelligence. It sounds like Keller's genius is in the nuts and bolts of engineering new silicon. Elon's is he's a visionary. He's more like Steve Jobs or Nikola Tesla, his vision of the possible future is way beyond what even an army of talented people can do in a short time.

Maybe. Keller, an engineer, also talks about how much breadth Elon has in detailed engineering. Elon can talk shop with a materials scientist developing a cutting edge alloy and then talk about rocket nozzle design, and then get into the weeds about coding issues.

Maybe. Keller, an engineer, also talks about how much breadth Elon has in detailed engineering. Elon can talk shop with a materials scientist developing a cutting edge alloy and then talk about rocket nozzle design, and then get into the weeds about coding issues.

One of Elon's strengths over Steve Jobs is he understands the science and the tech behind most of the things he's trying to accomplish. From his days at Paypal he did become a decent programmer, and he's a decent engineer too, but those aren't his strengths.

Reactions: FlatSix911
One of Elon's strengths over Steve Jobs is he understands the science and the tech behind most of the things he's trying to accomplish. From his days at Paypal he did become a decent programmer, and he's a decent engineer too, but those aren't his strengths.
Elon sold a computer game he wrote to a computer mag. when he was 12, in South Africa where he was born.
Zip2 his first startup, he dropped out of Stanford graduate school, talked his brother Kimble into coming to Palo Alto. elon programed on their ONE computer at night. During the day this same computer was offering maps with door to door directions over modems 28kbits. Perhaps the first to put vector based maps (vs bit maps which would take forever to download).
He is a fine/great programer AND perhaps one of the worlds best Engineers. Go back and actually listen to the Keller interview.

And IF you want to learn more actual details see my next post - Third Row Podcast interview of Elon Musk.

Third Row Tesla Podcast – Elon Musk's Story - Director's Cut

The Steve Wozniak was the technical programer.
Steve Jobs had vision that he & Steve Wozniak could NOT sell/get HP management to build a Personal Computer. So they both left HP, went to a garage and created apple computers. Later Steve Jobs came back to apple and put the parts together to make the first Smart Phone.
The Steves first saw "computer mouse" and graphical interface (I think) at Park Zerox and of course Zerox wouldn't build a personal computer either.

SpaceX, StarLink, Tesla (Roadster/S/X/3/Y/CyberTruck, SEMI), Boring Co., Solar City, glass roof, battery storage for homes & buildings & grid. FSD (Full Service Driving Computer) Soon may have the largest Lithium Battery Factory (GigaNevada) (Fremont approaching 500,000 this year?) GigaShanghai, GigaBerlin.

The ONLY comparison to Steve Jobs is that soon both people started companies that became very successful worth billions on the US Stock Market.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
In honor of Presidents Day!

upload_2020-2-17_8-26-42.png

Big fan of Grimes' music here, while I am not so much interested in Elon's private life but here is a great and extensive Rolling Stone magazine interview with her, where she provides some insights:

Grimes: Live From the Future

[Grimes] remains concerned about income inequality. “It was something I spoke about a lot before dating my boyfriend, which is one of the reasons people were upset about our relationship,” she says. But, in her mind, Musk isn’t “buying yachts.” “If someone’s just gonna take everything and just put it into R&D to make the world better, and just get up at the ****ing crack of dawn every day and go to bed really late every night, doesn’t take vacations and just actually puts every single ounce of his energy in everything he cares about and all his money into making the world better? Like, I can make an exception. I admire it a lot. I think it’s great. To me, it does not contradict my beliefs.”

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Big fan of Grimes' music here, while I am not so much interested in Elon's private life but here is a great and extensive Rolling Stone magazine interview with her, where she provides some insights:

Grimes: Live From the Future

[Grimes] remains concerned about income inequality. “It was something I spoke about a lot before dating my boyfriend, which is one of the reasons people were upset about our relationship,” she says. But, in her mind, Musk isn’t “buying yachts.” “If someone’s just gonna take everything and just put it into R&D to make the world better, and just get up at the ****ing crack of dawn every day and go to bed really late every night, doesn’t take vacations and just actually puts every single ounce of his energy in everything he cares about and all his money into making the world better? Like, I can make an exception. I admire it a lot. I think it’s great. To me, it does not contradict my beliefs.”

Bat $hit Crazy... :cool:

Grimes_RollingStone-wm2.jpg
:cool:

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Status
Not open for further replies.